Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is the best electric pattern plane out there right now?

Dear everyone,

I've been playing with RC Helicopters for two and a half years now, winning some competitions along the way. I've always been interested only in pattern flying, and so I thought why not give F3A a try? I don't really have that much experience with planes, but I can fly them, I can do manuvers like loops, rolls, knife edge flight, stall turns, etc because i already have the knowledge from flying pattern helicopters and competing in F3C.

Now, I'd like to ask you guys, what's the best pattern plane out there right now? I have a friend offering me the old version Axiome EP for around $5000 RTF. But I'd like to keep my options open right now, and I'd really appreciate your opinions. Let's just say money is not a problem for now, we can talk about it as we go.

Best Regards,
    Adriel Mesias
    INA 0975

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What is the best electric pattern plane out there right now?

The best Pattern plane is the one you practice with 4-5 times a week.

Why is there never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear Flyer88,

Hahahaha couldn't agree more, but what plane would be the best foundation for me to start practicing 4-5 times a week with?

Best Regards,
    Adriel Mesias
    INA 0975

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There is no magic plane. They all fly well. The class you are flying matters as well. Thebest FAI plane is NOT the best plane for AMA. If you look at the results of WC and National competitions, you will see several different designs.

Arch
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dear rcpattern,

I'm gonna be flying the FAI class. Do you think I should take the offer on the old Axiome? Are the flying characteristics really that much different from the newer version?

Best Regards,
    Adriel Mesias
    INA 0975

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There have been changes. You can certainly get a new plane that is fully capable for less. The BJ Craft Episode and Nuance are examples. But there are many. Oxai planes are incredible, but they certainly aren't the only planes out there.
    Team Futaba, Aero-Model / Hacker, Tech Aero Designs, F3A Unlimited, Team BJ Craft, Thunder Power RC, Castle Creations

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The difference between the original Axiome and the latest version are,

The old one is much more stable, due to a bigger stabs, which makes it a little bit more difficult to enter the spins and snaps, but this is compare to the newer Axiome, it does not apply comparing to other designs.

The wing on the new Axiome was designed for higher altitudes of operation.

The Canalizer was improved, now the plane behaves as a biplane.

Regards

Arch is correct. There is no magic "best" plane. The plane must be matched to the person flying it. Each plane has different characteristics and each pilot has a different style. My friend could fly the Nuance and not be able to finish in the top 10 but Archie can take that plane and win the AMA Nationals. If both are equal pilots, why would this be? This same friend takes an Episode and ties Archie round for round. It's because simply, what is great for one does not make it great for all.
    You really need to fly several airplanes that (and this is important) are trimmed properly and find which flies best for you. There is no doubt that the Axiome EP is awesome but if it doesn't fit your style then it is the worst plane in the world. I would see if friends will let you test fly several different models and finding one that makes you say "Oh yes!"
    Your question is absolutely impossible to answer with just one airplane. Every person will have a different answer for you.
    Regards,
    Scott
    Scott McHarg

Conclusion: the place where you got tired of thinking.
    Team Futaba | Team FlightPower | ckaero.net

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I agree, both Archie and Scott are correct.  Like you, I wanted to start flying pattern a couple of years ago, and didn't know which plane would be best.  Someone told me that the Symphony would be a good plane.  The Symphony and I did not get along.  So, last year, I bought a Sickle from F3A Unlimited and took first or second in eight Sportsmans contests, this entire past year.  The Sickle and I were really a match...so I thought!  Then I purchased one of Scott's Deja-Vus.  Scott and Brian Hebert helped really fine tune this plane and for the first time, I won all five rounds in Sportsman at the Cajun Nats with a large group of Sportsman flyers because the Deja-Vu and I seemed to be a perfect match.  So, as Scott says, when the plane is "properly" trimmed and matches your flying style, this is the plane for you.  I have just purchased an Episode from F3A Unlimited to fly this upcoming season, as I enter the Intermediate ranks.  We'll see how that works out.

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What you need was pratice Not "best plane"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Iusually practice 3 to 4days a week 6 to 8 practice flights each day. There seemed to be somedesign issues with one of the planes that I purchased that could not be trimmedand no amount of practice helped with that particular plane. So, a good design, properly trimmedand setup with a plane that fitsyour flying styleis definitely the key. As a result of flying a properly setup and trimmed plane, and some very good coaching, by Glen, Scott and Brian,I was able to finish this season as Sportsman District Champion and looking forward to going to my first NATS in Intermediatethis upcomingseason. There are many good designs out today, but I doubt that that is true forsome of the past designs,some of which have inherentdesigns flaws.

Ron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I could fly 32 times a week I'll be world champion..... but only got 30 flights in 8 months....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If (maybe big if, I don't know) your friend offers you a well setup plane, it might be well worth it. Especially if you don'thave the experience yourself to build and setup one properly.

If you have the chance to fly it before you buy it then give it a go. I had a great experience the first time I took off with my Krill Spark Dynamic. I just had a click and it got only better afterwards. Some planes just seem to fit your flying style better.

Volkert
    Club Saito member #371

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check out the planes on F3AUnlimited.com and see what looks good to you. Pick your top few favorites and find the build thread. BJCraft us there for extremely high value, axiome is extremely high reputation, and there are plenty in the middle. You can't know what plane you like better until you've flown it, so get something that looks good and has a build thread with good info on it.
    Joe Marri
    Enjoying all things aviation.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The options available today are many for a quality ARF at an affordable price.
    The BJ Craft planes are all great. The quality is way beyond offerings we had just a year or 2 ago at a lower price. All of Mr Park's planes are proven fliers. All are well made. We're very proud of the fact we are his North American distributor.
    The new planes from Xtreme Composite are also very well made and fly really well. We have the new Griffin available at $1500. We like to think of that plane as the new Integral. It's at a similar price and it's all composite. We just shipped the initial orders this week and the feedback so far has been very positive.
    So the choices available fit a lot of needs. Budget's and preferences dictating the decision.
    OXAI planes are pure artwork but as it's been stated many times it's not within everyones budget. Mike
    Mike Mueller
    F3AUnlimited.com and Gator-RC Products
    1800 591 2875
    mikemueller@F3AUnlimited.com
    Team JR America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is one..... just needs batteries, ESC, motor and Rx and you are good to go!!
    And there isn't another plane out there that looks as good!!!

Price reduced!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=887040

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw69391.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	700.8 KB 
ID:	1832556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yt60794.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	473.1 KB 
ID:	1832557  
    LOOKING FOR ENGINEERING WORK ON UAV'S?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ugh... sorry.. just noticed you were in Indonesia!!
    LOOKING FOR ENGINEERING WORK ON UAV'S?