Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Arming switch - advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Arming switch - advice.

Remember as Joe said that you can adjust the spring tension "bend the connector" with an Xacto blade in about 5 seconds as APP connector terminals will bend slightly over time. We have literally hundreds of the APP style arming assemblies in use worldwide with great results so it is a proven system and plenty on spring tension to hold the connector if you adjust them periodically. Also on the Deans type setup, for pattern the 12ga wire setup is plenty for the current we typically use. If you want to DIY with a male/female bullet connector set outside the fuselage, a 4mm bullet is plenty or the Jeti 4mm anti spark bullet setup works and eliminates the spark caused tip erosion. 5.5mm is also an option but again overkill.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:33 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Chis,

Sorry,..I wasn't singling out the one you sell. I was using it as an example (my bad, should have clarified that). I just took mine appart and found the terminal post that locks over top of the bottom contact (the one with the bend in the end that goes in the slot) had slipped out, etc .

This only allowed the connector to engage half way as the other end was hitting the lose contact, but it still had that locked feeling when it went in (probably the housing). Anyway, I pushed the wire back into the plug and took a small screw driver and engaged the bent end back into the slot. I also, adjusted the tension by slightly bending the contacts inside up (like Joe said).

Problem solved,....ever had to adjust one. Like I said,..different application than I used them for in the past.

My apologies gents.

bholsten
Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Chris Moon

Hi Bill, absolutely no offense was taken at all - I saw some confusion about the APP tension and wanted to make sure everyone knew that you can simply adjust the terminals for a firmer contact. I personally use both APP and Deans types in the company plane builds to keep testing and looking for issues that people might have down the road.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Jetdesign

The 25lbs is how much force it should take to pull the metal connector off the wire it was crimped to. If you look at the data sheets for the metal connectors (15/30/45 all have separate data sheets), it has "Avg. Connection/Disconnect (lbf) 3 - low detent / 5 - high detent.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Silent-AV8R

OK, I'll go with that then. But once again, I've got a bunch of packs and planes/helis with them and not once have I had one even come a bit loose on me. YMMV
Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 PM
ramboman

FYI:
I charge my a123 packs in place... they are disconnected by SPS... there is a dedicated MPX connectot for charging at 20A or 30A depending on the pack profile.