Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

How many rounds at a typical pattern contest?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

How many rounds at a typical pattern contest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
wryman
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many rounds at a typical pattern contest?

I think I read that a D2 contest had 4 rounds on Saturday and 2 rounds on Sunday, is that what is typically done? I have 4 10s packs but havent got a generator yet so I am trying to figure out if that will be sufficient for a pattern contest this weekend. I have a charging box that I can bring with me and recharge at the hotel on Sat. night.
Thanks for any input

Wes Ryman
Willow Spring, NC
Old 04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Hokie Flyer

Default RE: How many rounds at a typical pattern contest?

Wes,

Six rounds (4 on Sat and 2 on Sun) is the goal at most contests.  Turnout and weather  can force the CD to make adjustments.

Rob
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wes,

At most pattern contests, you'll find a fair number of flyers have generators and most are happy to share extra capacity to run an extra charger or two.

Regards,
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Wes,

A lot of guys in D2 have generators and a few of the fields even have power. The Winston-Salem contest this weekend has power at the field, but its very easy to borrow some generator time if you need it. You are always welcome to hook up to my setup. I have a Yamaha 2000W and it can easily handle several setups running at once.

See you this weekend,

Arch
Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 AM
wryman

Thanks Rob and Dave. Arch I will see you this weekend. Thanks for the responses. Tested amp draw of my charger box when hooked to wall and it only pulls 3 amps while charging 2 5s packs at 5 amps on the cellproXP powered by a 24 volt meanwell power supply. It looks like the 1000 watt yamaha or Honda would have plenty of output to keep up with only 3 amps needed but for 200 or more dollars I can get a 2000w version which would have more possible uses around home.

Thanks guys

Wes
Old 05-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

4 flight packs will make it through the day, unless you are an early bird and catch a practice round before 9am. If I had 4 good flight packs I'd probably not even bother bringing my chargers to the field - only need to recharge rx and tx after full day of flying.

Even if you had only one flight pack, you should go to the contest. It's a lot of fun and people will make it work so that you are able to fly. Great group of guys (and an occasional girl) regardless of what district you are in.

Goal (as stated) is 4 flights on Sat and 2 on Sun. Idea is to get people back on the road as early as possible on Sunday. This doesn't always happen if the day is long or there is weather. If 6 rounds are flown, you drop your two lowest scores. If 5 rounds are flown, you drop your lowest score. I forget how many rounds are required for an 'official' contest to count, either 3 or 4. Sometimes if there is spotty rain that's all you might get.

Most people bring canopies, and there are generally extra chairs and plenty of food and drink, so if the weather is not great it is still fun.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: wryman

Thanks Rob and Dave. Arch I will see you this weekend. Thanks for the responses. Tested amp draw of my charger box when hooked to wall and it only pulls 3 amps while charging 2 5s packs at 5 amps on the cellproXP powered by a 24 volt meanwell power supply. It looks like the 1000 watt yamaha or Honda would have plenty of output to keep up with only 3 amps needed but for 200 or more dollars I can get a 2000w version which would have more possible uses around home.

Thanks guys

Wes
You are exactly right. I had a 1000W first, but ended up getting a 2000W as it has so many other uses. Plus with the setup I now have in my trailer, it is very useful for other stuff as well. I should be there sometime around lunch on Friday.

Arch
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Hokie Flyer

Those Meanwell 24 volt power supplies can pull up to 1500 watts on the AC side, so the extra money for a 2000 watt generator is a good investment.

Rob
Old 05-01-2013, 05:18 PM
svrcp
My Feedback: (1)

Wes come out to the contest this weekend and we'll help you out. Like you said for alittle more you get twrice the power and can be use at home. Most contest we try to fly 4 round on first day when possilbe and 2 on Sunday that way everyone can leave early an drive home. See you on Saturday I'll be there on Friday around noon.

Jr
Old 05-01-2013, 05:39 PM
wryman

See you on Friday afternoon JR and Arch, Im gonna take all the help and advice I can get.