Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

ESC problem?

Old 08-01-2013, 05:35 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC problem?

My Neu motor locked up during the 5th flight yesterday during a 45 degree uplink. Starting from 10 seconds prior to the lockup, I can feel the motor lose some power and did not respond well to throttle (some hesitation). The ambient temperature is around 97.

Upon landing, I inspected both ESC (CC 120 ICE2) and the motor and found both are very hot. The motor is too hot to touch. The ESC emits single beeps before the power battery is disconnected (motor lock). There is no indicator of any burning. Some more analysis with ESC's data log reveals: max amps for all sessions is 78A, 75A for the last flight session.

In previous flights, the motor and ESC appear normal.

I love to hear any comments or suggestions.

Last edited by nonstoprc; 08-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 AM
carlnoki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC problem?

if the motor is still locked up, then it sounds like the rotor came apart.
contact Neu and see what they say about it.

OR, if it made some kind of screeching sound before the motor locked up, it MIGHT be a bearing that came apart. (possibly)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Maybe remove gear box and see if motor or gear is locked?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
nonstoprc

Yes the motor is still locked up. The gears are OK though. I was not able to remove the motor cover to check the rotor as the motor is old style and 4 tiny set screws hold the cap to the main motor body.

I plan to ship the motor back to Neo.

At this point, my major concerns are
1. What is the main cause? The ESC did not properly regulate the power, or the motor simply died on itself?
2. How to explain both esc and motor super hot?
3. Is th ESC safe to use again ?

I have been using both equipment for about a year without any issues.

Last edited by nonstoprc; 08-07-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 PM
DaveL322

1. Highly unlikely the ESC caused a mechanical lockup in the motor.
2. Any number of mechanical failures in a motor can generate substantial heat....and often result in instantaneous or short term intervals of high current draw which can heat up both the motor and ESC.
3. Very hard to say. If it programs ok, does not smell, does not have any melted heatshrink or charred marks, it is probably ok. In my experience, if the ESC is not ok, it is unlikely it would cause damage to a functioning motor; it just won't run the motor properly (if at all).
Old 08-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Bill Clark

If it was mine and the ESC was stressed and I am concerned about, it would not be worth jeopardizing the plane for a $200 component. With that said replacing it with a brand new ECS is no guarantee either
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Jet Katt

Nonstoprc, you mentioned that the ESC was emitting single beeps before you disconnecting the battery. Have you had the opportunity to check out the error codes in the User Guide for the CC120, yet? If they are the same as the error codes for the CC HV80, then I would agree with Dave Lockhart, in that the ESC did not cause the problem. The single beeps seem to indicate that the motor jammed or locked up. Last year while flying in a contest, in the middle of a maneuver, the same thing happened to my NEU F3A engine that had about 70 flights logged. After taking the engine apart, we discovered that the cooling fan was not working. After an email discussion with the "powers that be at Neutronics", I was told that the special "glue" that secures the cooling fan had failed. Five or so flights prior, I had noticed that the engine was a lot hotter than normal after a seven and a half minute flight, but I attributed that to the 103 degree Texas temps. Neutronics repaired the engine free of charge. The only thing to be concerned with is due to their workload at Neutronics, it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks to get your engine back.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 AM
nonstoprc

JetKatt,

Thanks.

So far, over 3 years, I have encountered one case of loosing cooling fan. I was told that green Lactite 638 can be used to glue the fan back.

The lockup I described in this thread is much more instantaneous. It happened during an up-line when power was needed. There is almost no chance to prevent it.

I recall during the inspection of the motor, Kevlar threads (used to secure magnets) were broken into pieces and jammed the space between the rotor and the motor wires. Not sure how these threads can break as Kevlar is known heat resistance and high strength.