Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Throttle-Tech - New product from Tech-Aero Designs LLC

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle-Tech - New product from Tech-Aero Designs LLC

Greetings all, Tech-Aero Designs is proud to announce the Throttle-Tech system. This is a first of its kind system that when added in between the radio receiver and electronic speed controller, provides consistent, smooth throttle response for the useful capacity of the motor’s LiPo battery. It continuously samples the LiPo battery voltage and applies the appropriate compensation factor to the throttle signal to the ESC. It effectively de-rates the LiPo battery down to a configurable point, which is typically that which you would experience at or near the end of the flight. The result is that the entire range of throttle travel has a consistent response throughout the flight.

The data sheet, and user manuals can be downloaded from the Tech-Aero website www.tech-aero.net.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic Unpowered2.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1948121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed 9.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1948124  
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I have been running this device for over a year. It has run flawlessly. I had my doubts as to whether it would make a difference initially. I have it in all 3 of my pattern planes -Soon to be 4(Biside)). I also think it may reduce battery consumption, as well. I experience typical Masters flight battery consumption in the 2500 to 3000ma range with the Pletty Advance and YGE ESC.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super cool, going to have to try one!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Is this device also compensating on the difference between a new battery and an old one, meaning that you the same power if you fly a new battery or an old one?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 12-17-2013, 03:30 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by najary
Is this device also compensating on the difference between a new battery and an old one, meaning that you the same power if you fly a new battery or an old one?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Isaac, it is configurable, so within reason it is possible to set it up to give a common feel across a collection of older and newer battery packs.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:13 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ed,

I've been waiting for the release after talking with Joe L. at a contest and Arch earlier in the year. I already use you're dual regulator system in my pattern planes and a new one on the way. I will certainly give it a try...

Bill H.
D-2-
FAI/F3A
Old 12-17-2013, 06:38 AM
serious power

Originally Posted by J Lachowski
I have been running this device for over a year. It has run flawlessly. I had my doubts as to whether it would make a difference initially. I have it in all 3 of my pattern planes -Soon to be 4(Biside)). I also think it may reduce battery consumption, as well. I experience typical Masters flight battery consumption in the 2500 to 3000ma range with the Pletty Advance and YGE ESC.

Hi Joe,
How are you finding it to use and how is it's performance in practical terms etc - perhaps you could elaborate some.

Brian
Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Brian,

You have a fairly consistant motor performance at a specific stick position pretty much throughout a flight. Typically, when your batteries are fresh at full charge you don't need as much stick throw and the response to stick input is more jumpy. I feel I have pretty much the same response throughout a flight now and no jumpiness in acceleration in the beginning of the flight. It can vary from battery pack to battery pack some depending on battery age and condition. Like Ed said above you could adjust the programming of the device for old batteries versus newer fresh batteries if you wanted to take the time. I don't do that. I just take into account the age of the battery pack and fly knowing I will need more throttle with the older batteries. Also, there are some flashing lights on the circuit board which are useful from the standpoint that they can prevent you from flying a discharged battery accidently. Ed and Dave Lockhart spent a lot of time trying to determine the optimal operational conditions. I'm sure Dave will chime on this at some time. Not sure I explained it 100% accurate, but I'm sure Ed will correct me on anything misleading.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

I know that Dale Arnold has been very happy with this in his Contra setup, as he said with the contra it is very easy to use more throttle than needed as the plane doesn't speed up a great deal with the throttle stick. He said his battery consumption has gone down noticeably and that it was much easier to fly through a sequence with it feeling the same the entire flight,

Arch
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
serious power

Hi Joe / Arch,
Thanks.
' I think I've found what I'm looking for '

Brian
Old 12-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Sweet! I certainly 'waste' a lot of juice early in my flights. I can see how this would help. Tech Aero is the Bee's Knees.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Jetdesign

Obviously this is a more complex system than a simple voltage regulator. What are some of the benefits of using this thing over a voltage regulator set at something like 36V?
Old 12-17-2013, 05:23 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by gaRCfield
Obviously this is a more complex system than a simple voltage regulator. What are some of the benefits of using this thing over a voltage regulator set at something like 36V?
Joe, a voltage regulator would be very large, heavy and expensive, not to mention that it would eat up more power from the battery pack. Not at all practical for our application. Throttle-Tech does not regulate the LiPo pack voltage, it monitors it and compensates the throttle signal to the ESC as the battery discharges and drops in voltage. It's as if you, as the pilot had perfect knowledge at all times of what the LiPo state of discharge was, and were able to continuously compensate for it with small and subtle changes of the throttle stick to get the same response from the motor throughout the flight for whatever throttle setting you intended. Throttle-Tech reduces the pilot workload by assuring that full throttle is the same from start to end, just as 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 throttle and every point in between is the same response for the entire flight. It is a smoothly integrated response, giving the same feel and response for the entire flight throughout the full range of the throttle.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Jetdesign

Thanks Ed, sounds nice. I was thinking about the regulator, basically it's a box turning wasted energy to heat with no compensation for how the voltage drops under load. Certainly not a practical approach.

I like how your device not only compensates for the steady-state condition of the battery (voltage) but also the transient response (which I guess is a function of the ir of the pack).

And it's pretty small
Old 12-17-2013, 08:50 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by gaRCfield
Thanks Ed, sounds nice. I was thinking about the regulator, basically it's a box turning wasted energy to heat with no compensation for how the voltage drops under load. Certainly not a practical approach.

I like how your device not only compensates for the steady-state condition of the battery (voltage) but also the transient response (which I guess is a function of the ir of the pack).

And it's pretty small
Joe, it's small and light too, just 0.5 oz complete. Voltage transients are also compensated for as you surmised.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 PM
f3a05

I'm not quite sure from your shipping information----does the $5 charge apply to international orders too--in this case to the UK?
Old 12-17-2013, 11:36 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by f3a05
I'm not quite sure from your shipping information----does the $5 charge apply to international orders too--in this case to the UK?
For the near term, yes, $5 covers even international shipping, but that is 1st class with no additional services. For faster international delivery and/or services for registered mail, that is extra and has to be requested when placing the order, and will be separately invoiced.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:10 AM
najary

Hi Ed,

What is the device consumption when the motor battery is connected and receiver battery is disconnected?

I usually connect the motor battery and wait for my turn to fly.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Hi Ed,

What is the device consumption when the motor battery is connected and receiver battery is disconnected?

I usually connect the motor battery and wait for my turn to fly.

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Isaac, it will draw approximately 1 mA from the motor battery
Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Isaac, there are LEDs on the Throttle-Tech controller for status information. The orange LED is a voltage alarm status. Briefly, it is able to toggle between monitoring the receiver bus voltage and the motor battery voltage. When there is no motor battery connected, the displayed status reflects the voltage at the receiver bus to power them. When the motor battery is then detected, normally after the receiver has been powered up, there is a brief, cadenced flashing sequence to indicate it is flipping from displaying the receiver voltage status to the motor battery status. If you start out with the motor battery connected, you will miss the opportunity to see if a low voltage alarm situation may exist for the receiver. For a more complete description of how this works, you can read about it in the Throttle-Tech Users Guide, available at www.tech-aero.net.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:40 AM
najary

Originally Posted by NJRCFLYER2
Isaac, it will draw approximately 1 mA from the motor battery
Hi Ed,

Can you be more accurate, what is the device consumption per hour?

Best regards,

Isaac Nasjary
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Hi Ed,

Can you be more accurate, what is the device consumption per hour?

Best regards,

Isaac Nasjary
1 mAh
Old 12-18-2013, 01:26 AM
f3a05

Thank you.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:39 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

How long do U figure the Speed Control manufactures like Castle or the thieving Chinese, just take your Technology and build it tight into the ESC.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

What does the sporting code say to devices like this ......helping the pilot , getting "input" from the plane /equipment and makes adjustement to what the pilot acctually tells the plane to do.....
Sounds to me that this is working a bit in the "grey aerea" off whta should be legal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.