Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Throttle-Tech - New product from Tech-Aero Designs LLC

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:47 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's legal to be able to adjust the Mixture (Needle Valve) on a glow engine in flight too get consistent engine performance ... That's what I'd Equate the Throttle-Tech to.
thats not the same thing at all as I see it , this is not don atomaticly but its the pilot that adjust after how he think the engine is running, if your comparing this to this device you relly dont need it ..as when the battry is fully charge and you have high power you could put a mixer and a slider on the TX to adjust the top off the throtel end.
Sorry boys but I'm still not completely agreed to you , this thing makes adjustment that depending from input/info it got from the plane (battery voltage)
Old 12-21-2013, 06:17 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rune,

Consider how a servo works. It goes to the position commanded by the signal from the transmitter. The position is based on the voltage of the pot in the transmitter and voltage of the pot in the servo. If you push on the servo, or the control surface, the servo has a response that is not initiated from the transmitter. Neither the servo or Throttle Tech have the ability to know the outcome of the adjustments they are making.....they simply measure voltage and respond.

Regards,
Old 12-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The throttle tech also will help with passing the noise test. This is performed prior to the flight at full throttle when batteries are freshly charged - this device doesn't permit the full use of the battery voltage/amps, therefore rpm is limited and noise lower.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

So, this helps make a certain throttle position deliver similar rpm for the whole flight, start to finish? i.e. - On maneuver X, I normally use half stick...later in the flight, that same maneuver needs maybe 5/8th stick. This techno-gizmo takes care of that so I would use 5/8ths throttle at the EARLY part of the flight, just like later.... Do I understand the concept correctly?
Old 12-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Silver Bullet

That's the way I understand it, however for the noise test, the throttle stick is supposed to be at full throttle. With fresh batteries, without the device rpm would be much higher (and louder) than once the batteries have depleted some of the charge. As long as there is no way to shut the device off to get additional power, it should be legal.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:31 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
So, this helps make a certain throttle position deliver similar rpm for the whole flight, start to finish? i.e. - On maneuver X, I normally use half stick...later in the flight, that same maneuver needs maybe 5/8th stick. This techno-gizmo takes care of that so I would use 5/8ths throttle at the EARLY part of the flight, just like later.... Do I understand the concept correctly?
Hi Bob. Yes, you will get consistent throttle response throughout the flight. Throttle-Tech isn't measuring RPM, but based on a predetermined algorithm that uses voltage as its input, it compensates the throttle setting appropriately.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:39 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
That's the way I understand it, however for the noise test, the throttle stick is supposed to be at full throttle. With fresh batteries, without the device rpm would be much higher (and louder) than once the batteries have depleted some of the charge. As long as there is no way to shut the device off to get additional power, it should be legal.
There's no way to disable the TT algorithm in flight with a control input. Well, except maybe with a nice negative snap ejecting the LiPo through the canopy. There is a low voltage cutoff where the algorithm stops making adjustments and delivers exactly the same output as was input to it, and flinging the battery overboard would certainly meet that condition.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

How fast does it react to changes in voltage (ie sampling rate)? Just curious..
Old 12-21-2013, 10:22 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoundDog
If it's legal to be able to adjust the Mixture (Needle Valve) on a glow engine in flight too get consistent engine performance ... That's what I'd Equate the Throttle-Tech to.

Electric motors can't be lean or rich anywhere in their power curve as can wet set-ups.

A simplified explanation if you insist on comparing wet to E power is that a wet set-up has the same amount of energy available throughout a tankful. The specific energy of glow fuel or gas entering the engine doesn't change. Throttle Tech does practically the same thing in an E set-up by having the motor behave the same for a given stick position, regardless of battery voltage, until the bat voltage drops below the practical minimum. It sorta
fixes (as in makes constant) the specific energy entering the motor throughout a run. It's a really serious device for the discerning E pilot.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Remember way back when OS offered a fuel injected 140RX and the ECU included the exhaust temperature in the fuel mixture calculations?

Seriously though, it's principle of operation has been explained fairly clearly in the previous posts and it's no magic bullet for maintaining a "constant speed", but it will certainly help for achieving some consistancy with mixes associated with the throttle position similair to what IC pilots enjoy.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Hans Meij

How long do U figure the Speed Control manufactures like Castle or the thieving Chinese, just take your Technology and build it tight into the ESC.
It is already a feature of the Schulze future l, xl and xxl controllers. Unfortunately they are out of business.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:32 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by Hans Meij
It is already a feature of the Schulze future l, xl and xxl controllers. Unfortunately they are out of business.
Hans, my understanding of the Schulze feature is that it was a sensor based RPM governor, intended for the heli market. If I'm not understanding that exactly right, please correct me. However assuming that this is an accurate description, it is not the same as what Throttle-Tech does. It is not a device to govern RPM. If you were to perform static tests, you would see very good RPM consistency for a given throttle setting as the pack discharged. However the dynamic conditions of flight factor into this and do not result in a fixed RPM for a given throttle setting. This is what should be expected from a system that does not perform a closed loop response to motor performance. Prop loading conditions will affect the RPM of an electric powered setup with or without Throttle-Tech, as they will affect RPM with a 2C or 4C propulsion setup. This is about achieving consistent throttle response for the useful, practical range of the battery discharge curve, i.e. throughout a normal flight.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:21 AM
Hans Meij

Originally Posted by NJRCFLYER2
Hans, my understanding of the Schulze...
See the doc page 16e dil switch #3 to on

http://matthias-schulze-elektronik.c...-ENG-black.pdf

The disadvantage I found is that every adaptation cycle could be felt by the pilot as a little jump in power. Especially in uplines.
Perhaps newer sowftware version could have solved this but this is all history now.
The L controller is a bit to heavy for F3A purposes. The M-line with this this feature never reached marked.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:54 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Thanks for the info Hans. The same switch is for governor mode for Heli's. Is it the same function for aircraft with a different name or does being set up for a heli change its behavior? My other question is, how long was it between adaptation cycles? Sampling needs to be rapid enough to make smoothly integrated changes. The fact that a jump in power occurred with the Shulze suggests that it was attempting to hold a constant RPM, and when the prop load increased in an up line, that represents an un-commanded increase in power. If so, that's not really what you want to have happen. I suppose its moot since they are no longer around, just curious about what they had.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Hans Meij

Thanks for the info Hans. The same switch is for governor mode for Heli's. Is it the same function for aircraft with a different name or does being set up for a heli change its behavior? .
Changing the settings for #1 and #2 makes the other switches having a (totally) different function. In the Aerobatic mode where the proportional brake is effective, this #3 switch/function did have the purpose of compensating voltage loss of pack during the flight.
I did only few test with this controller and have not been active the last one and a half year so I can not be clear on your second part of the question.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

... The fact that a jump in power occurred with the Shulze suggests that it was attempting to hold a constant RPM, and when the prop load increased in an up line, that represents an un-commanded increase in power. If so, that's not really what you want to have happen....
I wouldn't have jumped to that conclusion, the "jump" in power would most likely be the ESC switching to another (internalally generated) output map when the pack voltage dropped under the load of the upline, in effect no different to automatically switching to another throttle curve on the tx. I wonder if the 18MZ can switch to another throttle curve based on the pack voltage it can monitor via telemetry? THAT would probably be illegal, although funtionally not all that different to the Shulze and much cruder than the Throttle-tech.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A little late to the discussion but I have been using one all year as well.
Love it.
If you are really good at throttle management then it will not help. For the other 90% of us it will
In non scientific comparisons (not comparing the same days) With it I used less mah and had a higher voltage at the end of the flight. Newer batteries were still higher than older batteries but I could not tell as much of a difference between the older and newer packs in flight. I am also running the contra which I think is more efficient and allows older batteries to still fly well.

Stuart C.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:40 AM
najary

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is a question for those how are familiar with the Throttle-Tech:

In the User's Guide page 9 it is written: "The transmitter throttle channel must be set to normal travel direction, i.e. higher throttle settings are achieved with a wide (longer) throttle pulse width. Even if the ESC in use allows the reversal of the throttle channel, you must assure that longer throttle pulse widths result in higher throttle output from the ESC for Throttle-Tech to work properly."

I use Futaba transmitter and Jeti Spin 99 ESC.

As you can see in the picture 1,2; the throttle channel is in reverse position but I still have a longer pulse (2.0 ms) in high throttle position and sorter pulse (1.1 ms) in idle position.

Will the Throttle-Tech work properly with current throttle curve setup, or I have to change my throttle curve?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	757.1 KB
ID:	1955128   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	907.9 KB
ID:	1955129  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Originally Posted by najary
Here is a question for those how are familiar with the Throttle-Tech:

In the User's Guide page 9 it is written: "The transmitter throttle channel must be set to normal travel direction, i.e. higher throttle settings are achieved with a wide (longer) throttle pulse width. Even if the ESC in use allows the reversal of the throttle channel, you must assure that longer throttle pulse widths result in higher throttle output from the ESC for Throttle-Tech to work properly."

I use Futaba transmitter and Jeti Spin 99 ESC.

As you can see in the picture 1,2; the throttle channel is in reverse position but I still have a longer pulse (2.0 ms) in high throttle position and sorter pulse (1.1 ms) in idle position.

Will the Throttle-Tech work properly with current throttle curve setup, or I have to change my throttle curve?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary

Isaac, that's fine as it is.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 AM
najary

Isaac, that's fine as it is.
Hi Ad,

From where can I download the FlexLInk[SUP]TM [/SUP]software?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
NJRCFLYER2

Hi Ad,

From where can I download the FlexLInk[SUP]TM [/SUP]software?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Isaac, you can download the firmware as part of the FlexLink V2.1.0.0.msi installation package that is available on the downloads page at www.tech-aero.net. The current firmware version is 2.53. This is what is preloaded onto every Throttle-Tech currently in production and is also what is included in the installation file on the downloads page.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
najary

Hi Ad,

Can you recommend on a tests procedure (Tachometer? Wattmeter? Before / after flight) for fine tuning the Throttle-Tech?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 01-08-2014, 02:43 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Hi Ad,

Can you recommend on a tests procedure (Tachometer? Wattmeter? Before / after flight) for fine tuning the Throttle-Tech?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Isaac, a simple full throttle tachometer test before and after the flight is the easiest way to make an adjustment. You would typically want the static RPM test to show the same reading.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:07 AM
najary

Isaac, a simple full throttle tachometer test before and after the flight is the easiest way to make an adjustment. You would typically want the static RPM test to show the same reading.

Hi Ad,

If a tachometer cannot be used, can I use a Wattmeter instead?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Old 01-08-2014, 03:13 AM
NJRCFLYER2

Hi Ad,

If a tachometer cannot be used, can I use a Wattmeter instead?

Best regards,

Isaac Najary
Isaac, using a watt meter would work well too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.