Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Carbon Props

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Props

Will the performance be about the same for a given size between the Mejzlik, PT and Falcon ?

Is one known to be more efficient than the others ?

What other differences are there between them ?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 12:31 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I can not tell You about comparison but I use Falcon electric carbon V2 props.
19 x12 on my MythoS 125E (with Hacker A60-7XS and 8 cell LiPo) and 21.5 x 14.5 on my MythoS Pro (with Hacker Q80-14XS F3A and 10 cell LiPo).
These props has been very good in my opinion. They are feather light, stiff, strong (but expensive).
Many other F3A flyers in my country also use Falcon electric carbon V2 props (including our present national F3A champion).

I have bought Falcon props from variuous sources - www.falconpropellers.com and www.f3aunlimited.com

If You try a Falcon electric carbon V2 prop I'm rather sure You will not be disappointed unless You have some special needs that these props for whatever reason can not fulfill.
The quality is outstanding (and it should since they are very expensive).

I have about 200 flights with MythoS 125E with the Falcon prop and 60 flights so far with my MythoS Pro and Falcon prop.

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Falcon_19x12V2_electric_carbon_prop_mounted - Kopia.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	329.7 KB
ID:	1996964   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3.1_020_Before_Maiden_at_flying_field_MythoS_Pro.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	1996965   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3.1_010_Before_Maiden_MythoS_Pro.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1996966  

Last edited by bem; 05-20-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 PM
Jason Arnold

Originally Posted by KGSS28
Will the performance be about the same for a given size between the Mejzlik, PT and Falcon ?

Is one known to be more efficient than the others ?

What other differences are there between them ?

Thanks
I use both Mejzlik and Falcon props in the extra light (EL) versions. Both work well but I'd have to say the Mejzlik is nicer in the air. The Mejzlik has a different shape to the blade and is wider. The Falcon's are closer to the APC equivalent. Efficiency is hard to quantify as many factors have an effect i.e. altitude, wind conditions, battery used and the dope holding the Tx pushing the stick forward.

Both are excellent props IMHO.

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM
KGSS28

Hi Bem , No special needs just want to try some sizes not in the Falcon line. I have been impressed with Falcon so far other than price as well but you get what you pay for in this game .
What class are you flying and about how many Mah do you use with the Q 80 ? Always wanted one of them.

Jason thanks that is the stuff I was looking for. I have never noticed anyone with a Mejzlik in my area, just Falcons so I may just try one ".Dope holding the TX " that is me totally but it sure is fun

Thanks Guy's
Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Is the difference between APC and carbon pretty noticeable?
Old 05-21-2014, 01:51 PM
KGSS28

I think so, in weight the V-2 Falcon is about 1/2 the weight of some APC's in the same range the extra light one is even less . I use less Mah per flight ,have better breaking and have cooler motor temp with the Falcon by about 8-10 degrees every time as well as cooler batteries . I tried real hard to stay with APC due to the low cost but to me the evidence just lead me to the carbon
I hope the extra investment will help add life to my motor and batteries it just seems easier on them.

While I am an Intermediate pilot with fairley low time, I keep a record of every flight and measure all the parameters each flight so it is easy to see what works best . Carbon

Maby some of the big dogs will chim in on the carbon props with their expirence.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
bem

KGSS28,
I fly Advanced class (we namer it "Nordic" class here in Nordic countries, it is slightly modified to the Advanced, just a few maneouvers slightly different to encourage more people to fly this class).
I usually finish the Advanced schedule in about 8 minutes now with my MythoS Pro and according to my current sensor (Futaba/Robbe current sensor) I have then consumed about 3600-3700 mAh. One does not need to use much of higher throttle with Hacker Q80-14XS F3A motor, MythoS Pro and Falcon Electric carbon prop V2 21.5 x 14.5 with the batteries I use, ThunderPower G8 Pro Lite+ 25C 5000 mAh. I usually fly some more maneouvers after the Advanced program is finished when I practice, until my Futaba/Robbe Telemetry-Box alarm that I have consumed 4000 mAh, and then I land. I use Jeti Master Mezon 130 with BEC (and Scorpin Backup Guard for extra safety).

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 05-21-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have one to use. I figured I'd start with the APC while I get used to the plane in case I ground strike or something. I have plenty of power, plenty of braking, and plenty of battery life after a flight so I haven't been so compelled to try it. I'm sure I will one day but there just doesn't seem to be much of a need. If someone said the plane pulled a lot better it would be another story.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:43 PM
bem

I used an APC electric 19x10 prop on my MythoS 125E to start with. After some time I switched to Falcon electric carbon V2 19x12 and it is rather much better performance with the Falcon prop but it has 2 inch more pitch also. But still an APC Electric prop is very good also, and much much cheaper, but rather heavy.

/Bo
Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 AM
KGSS28

I have never really tried noticed pull but the carbon will spool up a lot quicker than the APC . Might be the weight difference or the rotating mass thing. I had always heard the blade profile on the Falcon was the same as the APCs But don't know that for fact.

You are correct about a prop strike that is the bad thing about these props , I don't have the extra light I have heard they are really fragile because the blades are hollow. I do have some nicks on my tips from our grass runway. It is still balanced so I won't fool with it unless I have to.

Let us know what you think when you fly it.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
danamania

FWIW, I have been using mostly Falcon V2 and PT CF props on the 2m for about 2 years now. The heavy PT 21x13 is my go-to prop for the winter season/cold weather flying on the Nuance/Advance. The Falcon 21x13.5 V2 is terrific in season, and these do take much more abuse than one would guess. Very robust props considering their weight, the only one that broke was due to honest pilot error last season (botched landing). The one CF prop that did delaminate was the then new light electric Mejzlik 21x14. That was the first and last Mejzlik on my Nuance (although I have had good experience with their 18x8 EL on a since sold 8S EF Extra). The Mejzlik did not last very long and I did not like it as much as the Falcons or the PT; it pulled more amps with no perceptible performance gain that I could use. (Was over a year ago so don't ask for #s.) Honestly, I am amazed at how many times the Falcon V2 has nicked the dirt up to 1/4" at the tip with no damage, although I do check the prop leading edges before each flight, just like a real pilot does before flying any GA trainer LOL! Just like LiPo's, take care of these props and they will take care of you (and your pattern plane). Cheers all.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:49 PM
bem

Hi.
When I bought my first Falcon Electric carbon V2 prop I thought since it was so light it might be fragile - wrong. I used the on 19x12 V2 prop all last season on my MythoS 125E and the prop is still like new. I fly on rough grass field and when the grass is long I can hear the prop tips go through some of the grass at start and taxi. I have two spare Falcon 19x12 V2 props just laying and had never needed to use them since the first V2 prop do not break (but You never know). The Falcon V2 prop 21.5 x 14.5 on my MythoS Pro has served well also, today I have total 75 flights with this prop, also on same rough grass field.

/Bo
Old 05-23-2014, 04:50 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I have APC, Falcon V2 and PT. I am flying Advanced.

My experience has been that both APC and Falcon are excellent props.

I found the choice of the diameter and pitch of a prop is far more important than a name brand for the purpose of maintaining the constant speed in the air.

My favorite prop is 21X13.5.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:17 AM
Jerome bilke

Hello.
Can you tell me the weight of a falcon 19x12 V2 ?
Thank you
Jérôme
Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 PM
bem

Hi,
Here is the weight (I just weighted one of my Falcon Electric Carbon 19x12 V2 prop).

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Falcon_electric_carbon_prop_19x12_V2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	2094673  
Old 05-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Jerome bilke

Tank you !!
Where did you buy it in Europe ? I am in France.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
bem

Hi,
From www.falconpropellers.com or www.f3aunlimited.com but www.f3alorenz.de has it also (but not in stock it seems since it has a red color on the in stock symbol).

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 05-08-2015 at 01:01 PM.