Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

"Inspire" - Contra Powered Design - BJ Craft

Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Inspire" - Contra Powered Design - BJ Craft

I have received pictures and a short description of the new "Inspire" from BJ Craft. This model has been designed to be powered by the Brenner Sharpe Contra unit. Not only has the airframe been refined aerodynamically for the Contra, there is a new motor mount system specially created for the Contra.

I have been flying the Contra in all of my BJ Craft models. That includes the Nuance and two Episodes. While these models have worked well it did take some additions and changes to get the desired performance. BJ Craft has taken this experience along with their knowledge and testing with the Contra to develop this model.

A Contra Drive model needs to have the stability adjusted to counter the effects of the two large props. The tail volume in both yaw and pitch has been increased with a larger horizontal stab and increased fin area, most notably with a ventral fin on the bottom of the fuse. Since the Contra has excellent braking providing control over airspeed the drag of the model was reduced by using different airfoils. This allows for reduced power consumption yet retains the needed airspeed control. The force set-up has been adjusted with different thrust angles and incidences.

The supplied motor mount makes assembly of the Contra into the fuselage much easier. Attention has been paid to easy removal and installation making any required maintenance simple.

Here are a few pics of the "Inspire".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	2014986   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	2014988   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1175
ID:	2014989   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1292
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	2014990   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	2014991   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	1128
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	2014992   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	1077
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	2014993  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:06 PM
TonyF

Here are pics of the motor mount.

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	2014994   Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1096
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	2014995   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2014996   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	2014997   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2014998  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:10 PM
TonyF

Please note that the "Inspire" uses the flying stab that has worked so well in other BJ Craft models. I'm looking forward to receiving my model and will report on my observations. It all looks very good to me and I'm very confident it will be a great model!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:06 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks Great!
I think he really hit the nail on the head with the larger horizontal stab. Also, the enlarged vertical fin will really help. It looks well balanced overall. Looking forward to your flight reports.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:55 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks nice, I REALLY like the simpler color scheme.

Tom M
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Originally Posted by TonyF
Please note that the "Inspire" uses the flying stab that has worked so well in other BJ Craft models. I'm looking forward to receiving my model and will report on my observations. It all looks very good to me and I'm very confident it will be a great model!
Herb Kurlan has the Inspire with the Contra (sent to him by BJ) and Herb flew it at the Nationals - only a few days practice with the plane.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys the Inspire is on its way soon to F3AUnlimited.com
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/bjcinsite
We have it listed but not in stock yet. I have a good number on order and we have all of the support items needed for it too like the CRP Contra drives.
We have taken a few pre-orders for them but it's still a couple of months away from getting here.
Herb's was the prototype and brought over early so he could have it at the Nationals and we could show it off. He paid for it.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 10-16-2014, 12:44 PM
bondtasha

We have today received our first demo Inspire and expect to have stock late November for sale across Europe
http://www.bondaero.co.uk/Inspire_CD..._10963645.aspx

Chris
Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 PM
mups53

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/bjcinsite
For sale shipping next week. We have a very limited amount left.
Don't hesitate if you. As the retail arm for Contra we are proud to have this offering.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
F3AUnlimited
800 591 2875
Old 11-22-2014, 09:22 PM
HerbK

As Derek and Mike mentioned I have been flying the prototype Inspire since the Nat's and have been very happy with the performance. I received the plane after BJ put it together and flew it a few times. He then crated it up and sent it to me to take to the Nat's. I put it back together using all stock parts. Some of the stock parts I have since switched out like the Z bends in the pushrods. Trim wise the plane is very solid. I did feel that it required a little down with rudder. BJ recently suggested adding a 1/2 degree positive incidence to the wing and that took care of knife edge trim. I liked where he wanted the CG which is on the trailing edge of the wing tube. The only other change I made to the setup was taking some of the positive incidence out of the T Can which seemed to help Knife Edge. I used his motor mount which has no isolators but the motor is very quiet and the motor mount works very well. I would also suggest reinforcing the landing gear as I had a few incidences and had to do it involuntarily.
In between some much needed rain I have been practicing the new Master's sequence and the Inspire handles it better then I do.A few people have liked the design but didn't necessarily want to use a Contra, BJ said that adding 2.5 degrees of right thrust will work very well.
All in all a great design with a visible color scheme that incorporates the latest thinking on rudder authority, flying stab and the Contra makes it a good choice.

Herb
Old 11-23-2014, 06:32 AM
underdw
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your comments Herb!
Old 11-23-2014, 07:55 AM
underdw

I corresponded with Mike regarding the BJ Craft motor mount.
It is indeed an option because, apparently, some intend to build the plane without a Contra. Mike is charged for them, so must pass the costs on to his customers. Price is $75. Sounds like their availability is about a week behind the planes.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:13 AM
pippy

I had the same response from bondaero in the UK . Cost similar at £50.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:46 AM
mups53

Yes sorry about the mount confusion.
here is a picture of the Inspire built without the Contra. They added 2.5 degrees of right thrust. It takes a 82 mm spinner. If you cut back the nose to make it flush it could accommodate an 85mm spinner which we sell in the falcon brand for both 2 and 3 blades.
I'd like to see an Inspire with a nice 3 bladed prop. 3 Bladed props are really popular now much more outside of the North American market.
We have them available now from Mejzlik, PT Models. with new models coming very soon from SDC Composite and Falcon with 3 new sizes.
Three Inspire's left in stock. Thanks, Mike Mueller

Name:	Inspire-1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	2052234  

Last edited by mups53; 12-04-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hallo,
I always thought that the Inspire is only for Contra Dives. I am current looking for a new F3A-Modell for the next season. I was shure to buy a Episode, because I want avoid the effort of a Contra unit. But now I am reading, that the Inspire also can be flown without a Contra unit.
I want to install a normal Hacker Q80 and at the moment it is the question for me which modell should I buy –Episode or Inspire?
So I think, that the larger horizontal stab und the enlarged vertical fin would also help when a normal electric motor is installed. Otherwise I red, that the Inspire has reduced aerodynamical drag, because the Contra provides good braking. Now I have the fear, that when a normal engine is installed the Inspire could be very fast on the vertical down-passages.
Mostly I fly the P programm but I also train some sequences oft the F programm. So my question to the experienced pilots which model would You recommend me. I am very interested in the Insipire, but I am not sure, which is the better model for normal engines –the Episode or the Inspire?

Regards
Gerhard
Old 11-30-2014, 04:58 AM
mups53

Originally Posted by Flowmotion
Hallo,
I always thought that the Inspire is only for Contra Dives. I am current looking for a new F3A-Modell for the next season. I was shure to buy a Episode, because I want avoid the effort of a Contra unit. But now I am reading, that the Inspire also can be flown without a Contra unit.
I want to install a normal Hacker Q80 and at the moment it is the question for me which modell should I buy –Episode or Inspire?
So I think, that the larger horizontal stab und the enlarged vertical fin would also help when a normal electric motor is installed. Otherwise I red, that the Inspire has reduced aerodynamical drag, because the Contra provides good braking. Now I have the fear, that when a normal engine is installed the Inspire could be very fast on the vertical down-passages.
Mostly I fly the P programm but I also train some sequences oft the F programm. So my question to the experienced pilots which model would You recommend me. I am very interested in the Insipire, but I am not sure, which is the better model for normal engines –the Episode or the Inspire?

Regards
Gerhard
Hello Gerhard
I too thought it was supposed to be a one trick pony for the Brenner Contra unit. It's just recently that I was informed that the testing done on a 2 blade or 3 blade prop non Contra was working well.
We just received the planes on Wednesday here at F3AUnlimited. It seems logical to me that the changes made to the fuse are going to be effective for either setup. If BJ says it's good and he says they have tested it then he knows more than us.
The quality of the BJ Craft airplanes has been steadily improving over time. The differences are subtle but they are there.
We have just now started unpacking the new Passion Biplane from BJ/Akiba and it's really impressive. Very light and well done.
I'll start a new thread on it soon.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 12-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hallo Mike,
Best thanks for your information. So I think, the Inspire is a very interesting model for me.
I hope some guys will install a normal engine and will report soon about their experience.

Regards
Gerhard
Old 12-03-2014, 06:16 AM
underdw

Here in Colorado, a couple of us have become "Inspired"!
A couple of quick observations, many of which are apparent from previously published pictures:
-ARF has the usual BJ quality: No blemishes and not a single covering wrinkle.
-The wing is not the Episode DTFS. It has an extra taper near the tip, but not at the root.
-Looks like the same stab as used on the BiSide, but I don't have one for comparison.
-Very large rudder
-Smaller canalizer than the Episode
-I like the scheme. Red bottom should show up nicely. Other colors appear to be in wider stripes than on past schemes - this should reduce "visual blending".
-We will still have to grind the gear leg openings in the fuse in order to fit the landing gear in. Why, after all this time and so many models do we still have to do this?

Now, to get some quality workshop time.....
Dan
Old 12-03-2014, 07:01 AM
pippy

Sounds just perfect for me. Does the kit come with wing adjusters?
Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM
underdw

Kit has the standard BJ adjusters: position and lock in place.

I forgot to mention that there is a new canopy latch system that should be more secure than the Episode latch.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:38 AM
serious power

Hi,
A case of 'Spot the difference' ??.
Looks like different wings, fuz,, ,stab and fin/rudder group in these pic's.
What is shipped ; The wing from 1 and the rest from 2 ?

Brian

Name:	inspire 1.jpg
Views:	378
ID:	2052087   Click image for larger version

Name:	inspire 2.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	285.6 KB
ID:	2052088  
Old 12-04-2014, 05:26 AM
pippy

Very interesting. The second picture looks like an episode with the Inspire logo. All the pictures in the model shops are of the first picture you posted. I hope that is the model I am getting.
where did the second photo come from?
Old 12-04-2014, 05:34 AM
pippy

Hi mike, that photo you posted of the "Inspire " for normal motors (not contra) looks like an Episode with the Inspire logo. It's not the same as the Inspire CD that's picture for sale on your website! What gives?

This is the first Inspire flown by Herb Kurlan.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1159
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	2052112  

Last edited by pippy; 12-04-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
serious power

Hi Paul,
I think that the fuz,, in that photo is a new fuz,,. It seems to be a lot deeper just in front of the fin.
However it does seem to have one of those double taper wings (the one with 3 tapers) on it as well a an Episode style rudder.

Brian
Old 12-04-2014, 08:46 AM
pippy

It also has the all moving tail. Does this mean there is an Insoire for the Contra drive and a different one for other set ups? Maybe somebody can clarify.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.