Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Caelus New F3A design by Top RC Model

Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 AM
mgosson
My Feedback: (8)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

According to Mike at F3A, jetmech43 is correct.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:28 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why there are adjusters
Old 06-06-2016, 06:45 PM
mgosson

Default Best Way to Balance

I'm pretty much done with the bulk of the work, now it's time for the details.
Most of he guys are running the CG at about .5 inch behind the wing tube, I need a starting point. How do you guys balance this monster. I do not have any devices used to balance a plane. I'm open for any ideas on what and or how you do it.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 07:26 PM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Picked mine up with a string around the wing tube. I started there, and kept moving the battery back until I was happy.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys believe it or not the popularity of this plane is growing.
I've been caught without any in inventory.
I have a large shipment due in about 6 weeks.
I've opened it up for pre orders with a nominal deposit required.
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/50-depos...e-feb-1st-2016
From the bottom of my heart I want to thank all the owners for your support. It means everything to me to make sure my friends who happen to be my customers have a good experience with the planes we sell them.
TopRCModel too has been a terrific company to represent. From my aspect I'd put them in a very select group of the best of the best along with BJ Craft. Honorable, truthful and easy to communicate with.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 06-12-2016, 03:41 PM
big_G

Originally Posted by mups53
Hi Guys believe it or not the popularity of this plane is growing.
I've been caught without any in inventory.
I have a large shipment due in about 6 weeks.
I've opened it up for pre orders with a nominal deposit required.
From the bottom of my heart I want to thank all the owners for your support. It means everything to me to make sure my friends who happen to be my customers have a good experience with the planes we sell them.
TopRCModel too has been a terrific company to represent. From my aspect I'd put them in a very select group of the best of the best along with BJ Craft. Honorable, truthful and easy to communicate with.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
My Caelus earned another 1st place finish this weekend. It's not all me, trust me. This plane gets the job done! I wish I had a V2 to compare flight characteristics....Guys, get your orders in, Mike has a winner here!
(Mike, do you need my address to mail the commission checks?...lol)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:21 PM
rpellicciotti

Mike, just a FYI, when I click on the link in your message above, I get a 404 error, page not found.

Rick
Old 06-13-2016, 07:48 AM
mups53

Originally Posted by rpellicciotti
Mike, just a FYI, when I click on the link in your message above, I get a 404 error, page not found.

Rick
Try now. Thanks Rick. Anna messed up the listing. Geezzz right??
Mike
Old 06-13-2016, 12:57 PM
mups53

Guys a brand new one became available today, It was one I had reserved for a buyer who took Ill and asked to change his mind.
It's the last one till the new shipment arrives.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 07-14-2016, 12:27 PM
mups53

Hi everyone.
I just put the new batch on the inventory list for sales.They are scheduled in here on Tuesday so shipping to customers on Wednesday at the latest.
Feel free to order now. We have a limited amount left and more coming in the fall.
As always package deals for this plane are available.
Thanks for making this plane a great success.
Mike Mueller
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM
big_G

Mike, I saw there was a Caelus at the NATS. Do you know what class he was in and how he placed?

Gary
Old 07-14-2016, 04:51 PM
mups53

Hi Gary there were many Caelus's at the Nats. I don't know the results sorry.
Mike

Last edited by mups53; 07-14-2016 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 AM
jetmech43

Kurt Ober flew in intermediate with his, finished 5th
Old 07-29-2016, 01:14 AM
guerins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contradrive on Caelus

Originally Posted by snowman44
Hey guys, I received the Caelus today and wanted to get started on the build thread, unfortunately I will only be posting pics and giving general views tonight as I am leaving early in the morning headed to South Arkansas for Thanksgiving with my family. However I do plan to get started first of the week getting it ready to go.

First of all, the package arrived in great shape and surprisingly only took about 8 days to get here. A very nice touch from the guys at Top RC Model was an email that I received on Monday letting me know that the model had arrived at customs in San Francisco and would be clearing customs there very soon. So to say the least I was surprised when I got the call from my post office this morning that they had a large box they needed me to come pick up.

Following are pics of the unpacking of the different components.

Hello guys,

I've came across this thread and reading your comments that this plane is a good choice for whom's looking for a composite plane with an affordable price tag.
I would like to know if anyone has fitted a ContraDrive unit on it and if yes how it behaves and moreover if the correct CG
is easily manageable with the added nose weight.

many thanks in advance for your replies
guerins
Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 AM
jetmech43

I haven't heard of anyone doing a contra, but im sure it can be fitted.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:43 AM
mgosson

I rather doubt you could get the Caelus to balance properly with a Contra without placing the rudder servo in tail and replacing the battery tray and installing the tray after the plane is assembled. My question is why would you want the Contra?
Drop in a good motor, use a three blade prop and keep the weight down.

I've been struggling to figure out where the CG should be. Fortunately for me I have an FAI pilot that's within an hour drive (Ken Velez). He spent a good two hours working on set up, throttle curve, atv and trimming yesterday. All the changes he made were an improvement.

I needed to know for certain if the plane was setup correctly. He spent a bit of time adjusting the wing panels and moving the batteries and flight pack back. The plane now lands much better and the plane inverted much better. The rest is on me now to improve my skills (or lack of).

Also, I've taken a several photos along the way, during the building process. If you're interested I can place them in a public Dropbox folder if it helps.

Last edited by mgosson; 07-29-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:39 AM
cactusblues

I've got a set of Caelus wings, stabs/elevators, and canopy available for anyone needing these items. My motor departed the airplane in flight causing pretty significant damage to the cowl, but I was able to get the model back on the runway intact. $400 for the wings, $125 for the stabs/elevators, $85 for the canopy. The wings and stabs will be supplied complete with the installed servos and control arms. Also have the gear legs, wheels, wheel pants, etc... available.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:17 AM
mutare23

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread. Thank you all
Old 04-05-2017, 05:36 AM
big_G

Just ordered another Caelus...#3. This one is the lite version. Both my others are first versions. Any weight numbers to expect?.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:36 AM
mgosson

I've been a slacker.... Sorry I don't have a scale that can properly weigh the plane.
I'm not certain what battery tray you have used in the Caleus, I'm guessing it's the Gator RC version. If so you might want to add this to the collection. I just bought one to add to my Etude. http://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-rc...ket-kit-grcrtb

Also, the ESC tray he now makes is pretty slick. I bought 2. 1 for the ESC and 1 for the Receiver. http://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-rc...r-esc-tray-kit

Lastly, the deal Mike Mueller has on the Caeluse V2 lite is phenomenal, $1,100 and no freight charge, pretty tough to beat.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 AM
big_G

Originally Posted by mgosson
I've been a slacker.... Sorry I don't have a scale that can properly weigh the plane.
I'm not certain what battery tray you have used in the Caleus, I'm guessing it's the Gator RC version. If so you might want to add this to the collection. I just bought one to add to my Etude. http://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-rc...ket-kit-grcrtb

Also, the ESC tray he now makes is pretty slick. I bought 2. 1 for the ESC and 1 for the Receiver. http://www.f3aunlimited.com/gator-rc...r-esc-tray-kit

Lastly, the deal Mike Mueller has on the Caeluse V2 lite is phenomenal, $1,100 and no freight charge, pretty tough to beat.
Yup...ordered the battery tray. For sure, the Caelus tray is lame. Kudos to Mike...ordered the Caelus Monday, just delivered today via Fe-Ex here in Texas. Mike, when we meet at the Nats, I owe you a beer or two.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:14 AM
mgosson

Mueller's the bomb!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:30 PM
big_G

Unboxed the Caelus. Wow, they lightened up things. Less carbon cloth in the nose, and less glass cloth in the tail of the fuse. Thinner sheeting on the wings, and appears to have less internal support out past the wing tube. I'd venture the first version was a little over- built, and Top Model pulled out everything possible to lower the final weight. Imo, they should have left the nose carbon cloth in, that continued to the landing gear block. Might not be an issue for those, like me, that will use the rear motor mount plate that Mike sells. The mount will add strength and twist resistance to the fuselage. I may add some carbon cloth strips where the motor mount is epoxied to the fuse. A point of reference....my version 1 came in at 4950 grams with no real effort to drop weight other than the carbon prop and spinner.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 AM
n233w

Default test

Apologies!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 AM
big_G

Originally Posted by mgosson

I'm using a postal scale and moving it from wheel to wheel, including the tail wheel. Then adding all 3. Should be accurate. The Caelus battery tray looks stronger in the V2, not flimsy like my V1 was. I'll consider leaving it in, unless I need to change the location drastically for CG. I'll have mine ready to weight tomorrow, and I'll post up the final grams.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.