Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft G2 Essence

Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vatechguy3
Does that mount glue directly to the back of the nose ring?
Do the bolts from the motor install from the front then and are countersunk?

Tony
Hi Tony....about 1/4" back from the nose ring.
The 4mm bolts install from the front, no countersink required but I do put a single washer under the head of each bolt.
I got the bolts at Home Depot.
There are no clearance problems and I cut air intakes in each cheek....plenty of room.
I'll post a picture later tonight.

I don't know why these pictures are sideways but here they are anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2117694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2117695  

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 08-31-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: add pix
Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Makes sense now.

What are the pros / cons of this method vs the f3a front and rear mounts?

Thanks
Tony
Old 09-01-2015, 07:48 AM
Dave Harmon

Thanks for the pics. Makes sense now.

What are the pros / cons of this method vs the f3a front and rear mounts?

Thanks
Tony
I use the F3-a rear mount.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 PM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
is there anyone who have the parts for aligning the stab fences and the fence that has the possibilty to put them in a scanner and make me a PDF , I have lost them during moving to a new home.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:31 AM
Daveeast

Originally Posted by RuneG
Hi
is there anyone who have the parts for aligning the stab fences and the fence that has the possibilty to put them in a scanner and make me a PDF , I have lost them during moving to a new home.
[ATTACH]2147365[/IMG]

Rune

Here you go.

Regards David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Essence stab fence088.pdf (392.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:46 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a number of the Essence's left in stock with many options available.
I'd like to hear from the present owners of this plane for an honest report of the good and the bad and hear your opinions.
We are placing an order for a sea shipment and feedback is very important for us to determine the contents of this order.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/catalogs...=essence&cat=0
Old 02-15-2016, 10:51 AM
RuneG

Thanks David
Old 02-23-2016, 07:10 PM
snowman44
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by mups53
We have a number of the Essence's left in stock with many options available.
I'd like to hear from the present owners of this plane for an honest report of the good and the bad and hear your opinions.
We are placing an order for a sea shipment and feedback is very important for us to determine the contents of this order.
Thanks, Mike Mueller
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/catalogs...=essence&cat=0
Hi Mike,
I have hesitated to post about my experience with the Essence until I had a few flights on the airplane. They all seem great until you get about a 100 flights or so on them and then all the little things that you never noticed seem to start standing out.
I am happy to report that after 115 flights on my Essence I just don't see how it could get any better. I have been flying the p17 sequence and it took only a few flights to get the plane where I felt it was flying and tracking the way it should. The Essence is by far the best flying plane I have ever owned. It seems to do everything really well. I have been flying in a lot of 12 -14 mph winds lately and even in the wind the plane just feels and appears to be locked in. For those who liked the rolling characteristics of the Nuance, this plane is even better
In your post you had asked to hear the good and bad from guys who have the plane and I truly can't think of anything I dislike about the airframe. I don't know that this information gives you any ideas of what to order in the future but if something where to happen to my current airframe I would immediately be ready to replace it with another Essence just like the one I have.

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2016, 04:12 PM
vatechguy3

What settings are you using, incidences, balance and throws?

Thanks
Tony
Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 AM
snowman44
My Feedback: (5)

Hi Tony,
Incidence, Balance and Throws is really hard to nail down, It's a real juggling act, Over the years I have had a few opportunities to fly other guys airplanes. In their hands it appears the plane flies great, hand me the transmitter and I can't hold a straight line with it. How could this be? Maybe the the controls feel too soft or maybe too sensitive, some guys fly holding a bit of back pressure on the elevator, it can be any number of things. My point is this, most guys have an idea of how they personally think a plane should feel and react to control input, so its really hard to use other guys set ups for much more than a starting point. With that said, here is how I approached setting up my Essence.

Wing incidence is whatever the template is that BJ provides with the plane, Fortunately, I did not have to fool with any wing adjustment as my ailerons were perfectly neutral using this template.
On the elevator incidence, Once again my starting point was the template that BJ provided. In my particular case, using the template provided, along with my initial battery placement, the plane had a pretty good climb when I took off and so I had to apply down trim to achieve hands off level flight. From there its just a matter of moving the battery until your back at neutral on your trim.
On the control throws, I have no idea currently on my degrees of throw, I used the digital gauges to set some starting throws like 12 degrees on ailerons, elevator maybe a bit more and from their I adjust to what feels good, There are so many variables like wind, temperature, flight speed, expo, etc.. that can effect the way a plane feels from pilot to pilot, The biggest suggestion I could make on throws is once you have the plane dialed in to where you like it, take the time to go back in and with your digital meter make sure everything agrees.

On the mixes, it is the typical Throttle to Elevator down line mix and I do have a bit of Rudder to Elevator mix for knife edge. This mix is not really needed if you fly holding a bit of back pressure on elevator but I tend to personally favor a more forward CG.

Hope some of this info helps
Old 03-01-2016, 09:31 AM
flyboy91
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony,

On my Essence I have found that the stock settings were pretty close as to what BJ recommended. After flying the plane for the past 6 months I have increased my incidence by about .3 from stock setting to get the model to sit correct in the air. As far as CG goes I found that I like to run mine a little further forward than recommended as I was getting a little bit of hunting coming out of exits. Run about 2 degrees of negative differential in the wings, I'm at 11 down and 9 up and that seems to make the model roll very well. If there is anything more specific you'd like to know let me know.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 AM
vatechguy3

Thanks guys.
Working on assembling mine now, hope to have it done in the next month or two.

Tony
Old 04-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Neko

Nearly finished with my build. One disturbing thing. When I installed the stabs, I carefully aligned them so that the tip of each stab was equally distant from the tip of the wing. As a result, the stabs are not that well aligned with the fuse itself. The space between the stab and side of the fuse is a bit wedge-shaped. I don't suppose it will make that much difference, but it triggers my OCD.

Any suggestions on starting throws?

Thanks,

David
Old 04-10-2016, 11:46 PM
RuneG

Originally Posted by Neko
Nearly finished with my build. One disturbing thing. When I installed the stabs, I carefully aligned them so that the tip of each stab was equally distant from the tip of the wing. As a result, the stabs are not that well aligned with the fuse itself. The space between the stab and side of the fuse is a bit wedge-shaped. I don't suppose it will make that much difference, but it triggers my OCD.

Any suggestions on starting throws?

Thanks,

David
Hi
on mine I also got some Space beween the fuse and stab but mostly on one side , what I did was make a balsa wedge and cower it with some film , just be careful so it move freely after.
pretty quick fix .
Old 04-12-2016, 06:56 AM
vatechguy3

for those that mounted their ESC's inside the plane, versus in the chin cowl area, can you post some pics of the install please?

thanks
tony
Old 04-12-2016, 05:27 PM
ewan

for those that mounted their ESC's inside the plane, versus in the chin cowl area, can you post some pics of the install please?

thanks
tony
Hi Tony,
Our speed controller sat in the fuselage under the battery tray. Cover was made from 1.5mm rohacell 51 with a layer of 85 gm glass cloth either side. The duct overhung the opening to force air into it. Worked just fine even 30+degC.
Ewan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Duct 2.JPG
Views:	1487
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	2157113  
Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM
vatechguy3

Thanks for the pic!

Has anyone completed the install of the falcon landing gear?
Picked up a set from f3a for some additional ground clearance, but of course the falcon landing gear is not a drop in replacement.
Would like to see some pics and/or an explanation of how /what to modify to get a clean install.

Thanks
Tony
Old 04-14-2016, 02:07 PM
Dave Harmon

Thanks for the pic!

Has anyone completed the install of the falcon landing gear?
Picked up a set from f3a for some additional ground clearance, but of course the falcon landing gear is not a drop in replacement.
Would like to see some pics and/or an explanation of how /what to modify to get a clean install.

Thanks
Tony

Hi Tony.....
Because you are installing the Falcon L/G that is taller....I assume that you have the removable engine cover version Essence.

I installed the Falcon gear legs and pants on my Essence with the removable engine cover and it was not too difficult....but here is how I did it.
Looking at the base of the legs you will see a molded line on each leg.
Using a pencil...draw a line across the fuselage intersecting the OUTER original holes in the gear plate.

You will not be able to use the dimples in the gear legs for the holes because they will not line up to the fuse gear plate.

Because you can’t use the original 3mm bolts because they will be too short…cut off the head of an original bolt and put it in a drill press and using a file held at an angle….put a sharp point on the end of the bolt.
Screw the bolt in the hole from the inside of the fuse so that the sharp point sticks out of the gear plate a little bit.
Then hold the gear in the place you want it and press down to make a mark in the leg.
Drill the hole in the leg here.

Don't drill the inside gear leg hole yet.

Locate and drill the outside hole for the second leg.
Using a straight edge...line up the molded lines on the legs in order to get them both mounted straight ahead.
Tighten the outside screws.

For the inside holes you will have to drill new holes in the gear plate.
On the inside of the fuse on the gear plate....measure rearward from the outer screw some amount to get a hole in the clear toward the center of the fuse but still be as close to the center of the gear leg as possible.
Then on the gear leg outside hole....measure rearward to locate the position of the new hole which should be near the center of the fuse....it will be fairly close to the inside dimple in the leg. Pick a spot and mark it.
Then drill a small pilot hole in the gear plate and go from there to get a new 3mm blind nut installed and use the sharpened screw method to transfer the new hole location to the center hole area of both gear legs.
I did one leg at a time so that I would have to only fix one of them if I did it wrong....

The most trouble I had was those original 3mm bolts.
The original bolts will be too short for the outside holes.....and they have a shallow hex and on top of that the metal is soft....replace all 4 with good bolts.
The Du-Bro bolts have a long unthreaded shoulder on them which will require some washers to jack the bolts up a bit so you don't run out of thread on the blind nut.
I considered removing the original blind nuts but I did not want to take a chance on tearing out any of that ply that is used in this airplane.
So I left in the original outside 3mm blind nuts and used new good quality 3mm blind nuts on the 2 inside new holes.

In the end....it made a nice installation and looks good with the Falcon pants that have a pocket molded in it so they fit perfect on the leg without any anti-rotation screws.

The later mfg fuselages with the solid nose has the gear plate about 2" higher in the fuse.
I understand that BJ now uses the same fuselage for all G2 series airplanes.
I have flown both versions of the Essence and there is no difference in the flying characteristics but the earlier version certainly takes off and lands much easier with the longer Falcon gear.....a lot lighter as well.
Because of this you will probably have to re-locate the C/G.
I used the Central Hobby long axle with a thin ply plate inside the pant.
Also....be sure to locate the axle holes lower than the dimple in the leg as the pants are pretty narrow and the 2.25" MPI tire will rub if the dimple location is used for the axle.

Highly recommended....

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 04-16-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:21 PM
vatechguy3

Thanks for the writeup.

Will go through this when i get home and see if i can follow.
And yes, i have the removable chin cowl.

Tony
Old 04-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Dave Harmon

Thanks for the writeup.

Will go through this when i get home and see if i can follow.
And yes, i have the removable chin cowl.

Tony
Tony....
After reading what I wrote the other day....I made some significant changes in the wording to make it read better and to include a bit more info.
Some of it didn't make sense to me so I hope I fixed it good enough to understand.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

To get the proper spacing did you have to trim it any?

I have the Essence version with no chin cowl and I will need to sand mine down some....just wondering before I go down that path....

Originally Posted by Dave Harmon
Hi Tony....about 1/4" back from the nose ring.
The 4mm bolts install from the front, no countersink required but I do put a single washer under the head of each bolt.
I got the bolts at Home Depot.
There are no clearance problems and I cut air intakes in each cheek....plenty of room.
I'll post a picture later tonight.

I don't know why these pictures are sideways but here they are anyway.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:51 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Dansy
To get the proper spacing did you have to trim it any?

I have the Essence version with no chin cowl and I will need to sand mine down some....just wondering before I go down that path....
Daniel......

I don't understand your question....can you re-word it please?

Dave
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 AM
Dansy

Dave,

I have the same snowman front mount....but it's not a drop in, (the impression I had reading you previous post) so mine will need to be trim down so I get the proper spacing with the plenty advance (right now it's too big and I'm about ½" front the nose ring)....is that what you had to do?

I already have a plan but I'm open to suggestion....

Originally Posted by Dave Harmon
Daniel......

I don't understand your question....can you re-word it please?

Dave
Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Dansy
Dave,

I have the same snowman front mount....but it's not a drop in, (the impression I had reading you previous post) so mine will need to be trim down so I get the proper spacing with the plenty advance (right now it's too big and I'm about ½" front the nose ring)....is that what you had to do?

I already have a plan but I'm open to suggestion....
Oh yes.....The Snowman and myself designed that mount especially for the BJ series of airplanes that were to be powered by the Plettenberg Advance.
I made the first two by hand for my Nuance and his Prolog...now owned by ITC,
The Nuance is still going strong and is my backup airplane.

We reduced the thickness of the material and had them water jet cut a bit oversized so they could be custom fit for each fuselage.
The reason to be oversized a little is because the fuselage is slightly irregular.
It was much easier to make it a series of circles.

I found that the best way to trim it to fit is to sand the shine off of both sides and using a pencil....carefully mark no more than 1/32" in from the edge of the circumference...then using a disc sander...rotate the mount in a circle to reduce the diameter.
Be careful and go slow....a small removal of material makes a big change in the fit.
DO NOT attempt to cut this material....it is really tough stuff....but it sands easily.
You may have to trim an area of the mount to clear the lower part of the spinner ring inside the fuse.
Mount the motor and spinner backplate with a couple of screws each time you trial fit it in order to keep the motor centered on the fuselage.
Use the fuselage spinner ring to get it aligned properly.

You will have to rotate the motor to get the wires to clear....position the wires at about 4 o'clock when viewed from the front.
Once you get it aligned correctly and the mount just lightly touching in several places....tack it in place with 3 or 4 dots of thick CA glue.
You should have a slight amount of clearance to get the spinner ring exactly aligned.

Then carefully remove the motor and use Hysol 9462 epoxy to glue the mount in place.
This stuff is thick like toothpaste and stays in place after application.
Put a nice bead around the mount on front and back and ensure that it gets in the space between the mount and fuse side.
This will make a bulletproof installation and will not pop off like hobby glues.
This glue is available at McMaster-Carr and can be used for a lot of applications over time.
Store in the refrigerator when not used.
My last cartridge lasted 7 years until I finally used it up.....definitely worth using.
I don't use hobby epoxy glue anymore on composites....hobby epoxy is good for wood.

Also....I made some small tabs from thin FR-4 scrap ckt board material for the rear motor mounts.
These are held in place by Hysol as well....just a small bead between the material and the fuse holds them securely.

The Snowman and myself have over 3500 flights on these mounts.....a little over 900 flights on the Nuance alone without the slightest sign of problems on any of these 4 airplanes.
These mounts are very strong and will not flex in use when mounted this way because they are attached all the way around the circle.

Dave
Old 05-10-2016, 07:03 AM
Dansy

Thanks, exactly what I had in mind, just wanted to check if it was normal......before sanding away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.