Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft G2 Essence

Old 06-09-2016, 11:49 PM
Daveeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

Good answer, any ideas on AJs thinking or was this meant to pre G2 aircraft?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:58 AM
Dave Harmon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Daveeast
Dave

Good answer, any ideas on AJs thinking or was this meant to pre G2 aircraft?
Dave....I really don't know but the way Dansy's post was worded makes me think that there was/might have been an improvement to the G2 when the fences were installed.
Hopefully Dansy will post the results when he installs them.
The c/g comes into play here as well. Move the c/g fwd a bit if it appears to go off heading.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

This morning I asked AJ about the reason for this fence.....here his answer (I did asked permission)

AJ Answer- On the stab fences what I found was it seemed to lock the tail on when in pulls and pushes. The model isn't unstable when in normal flight but I did feel that in radii it kept the plane tracking a little straighter, and of course no problem with posting it on RCU...

So there you have it from the top US flier.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:10 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Dansy
This morning I asked AJ about the reason for this fence.....here his answer (I did asked permission)

AJ Answer- On the stab fences what I found was it seemed to lock the tail on when in pulls and pushes. The model isn't unstable when in normal flight but I did feel that in radii it kept the plane tracking a little straighter, and of course no problem with posting it on RCU...

So there you have it from the top US flier.
Thanks Daniel......
If I install the fences I will need to move the battery fwd to get back to the same c/g as I have now.
My battery is already hanging off the front of the tray with the F3A 35C packs.
I also have some new F3A 25C packs that are a lot lighter than the 35C so.....with the combination of the added fences and the lighter batteries.....I am going to have to chop out the battery tray to get somewhere near the same c/g as I have now....jeeeze....it's always something.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 AM
Dansy

Not sure why your so tail heavy.....I'm using new 5400 f3a pack and they are pretty much Center on the main gear.....it might be because I used 2 MKS 575s servo and they are pretty light servo 51g each if I remember correctly.....
Old 06-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Dansy
Not sure why your so tail heavy.....I'm using new 5400 f3a pack and they are pretty much Center on the main gear.....it might be because I used 2 MKS 575s servo and they are pretty light servo 51g each if I remember correctly.....
It's not tail heavy.....the tray is installed to far aft...and needs to be longer as well.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Dansy

Sorry I misread...
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 AM
skyship
My Feedback: (30)

Hello guys,
I would like to share our experience, building & setup, with BJ Agendas in Ocala, Florida.
The plane and Brenner’s contra combination have been shown pronounced flight performance through our experience.
Interestingly, three different flight mode pilots have flown together with the same models as shown in the picture.
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.jpg[/IMG]
Here are the details.
Preston’s Agenda 1:
- Contra unit: Brenner V4 with high kv Pyro outrunner, Falcon 22x18 front, 22x20 rear
- ESC: Jeti mezon 130, using built-in BEC
[h=1]- Transmitter & Servos: 18MZ, BLS-171SV for all[/h][h=1]-CG: 10mm forward from the wing bolt[/h][h=1]- Down thrust: -1[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG], factory setting [/h][h=1]- Wing incidence: higher than factory setting (+1[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG]) for slower flying[/h][h=1]- Takeoff weight: 4730g with F3A unlimited 5.4A 2x5s[/h][h=1]Note: [/h][h=1]-Customized carbon fiber battery tray and Landing gears/wheel pants[/h][h=1]- Removable battery tray [/h][h=1]-Thicker canopy locker carbon rod, highly recommended[/h][h=1]-Wheels: Dubro 2.5” for grass field[/h][h=1]- Changed with a bigger diameter carbon pipe for the stabilizer pipe, full moving stab.[/h][h=1]-Throttle tech device on board [/h][h=1]-Customized Canalizer mounting washer[/h][h=1][IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image006.jpg[/IMG][/h]

Kyu’s Agenda 2:
- Contra unit: Brenner V3 with Nue inrunner, Falcon 22x18 front, 22x20 rear
- ESC: spin99, Smart SW regulator/receiver battery (F3A Unlimited, .9A)
[h=1]- Transmitter: 14MZ, DS8611 with plastic gears[/h][h=1]-CG: wing bolt[/h][h=1]- Down thrust: -1[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG], factory setting [/h][h=1]- Wing incidence: Higher than factory setting for slower flying[/h][h=1]- Takeoff weight: 4780g with F3A unlimited 5.4A 2x5s[/h][h=1]Note: [/h][h=1]-Wheels: Dubro 2.5” for grass field[/h][h=1]- Changed with bigger diameter carbon pipe for the stabilizer pipe, full moving stab.[/h][h=1]-Customized carbon fiber battery tray (34g) and Landing gears/wheel pants (66gx2)[/h][h=1]- Removable battery tray, highly recommended[/h][h=1]-Thicker canopy locker carbon rod, highly recommended[/h][h=1]- Changed with a bigger diameter carbon pipe for the stabilizer pipe, full moving stab.[/h][h=1]-Customized Canalizer mounting washer[/h][h=1][/h][IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image008.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image010.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image012.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image014.jpg[/IMG]

Joe’s Agenda 3:
- Contra unit: Brenner V4 with Lower kv Pyro outrunner, Falcon 22x20 front, 22x22 rear
- ESC : Jeti mezon 130, regulator/ receiver battery (F3A Unlimited, .9A)
[h=1]- Transmitter: JR 12x[/h][h=1]-CG: somewhat forward from the wing bolt[/h][h=1]- Down thrust: -1[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG], factory setting [/h][h=1]- Wing incidence: +1[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG], factory setting[/h][h=1]- H stab. Incidence: 0[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image004.png[/IMG], factory setting[/h][h=1]- Takeoff weight: 4760g with F3A unlimited 6A 2x5s[/h][h=1]Note: [/h][h=1]-Wheels: Dubro 2.75” for grass field[/h][h=1]- Fixed H stab.[/h]
[IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image016.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/qpc/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image018.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the reading.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:17 PM
tater1

This my first attempt at assembling an electric,wow this technology is really something,as my experience has been ys engines,Last contest for me was in district7,oct 1996.I am really appreciating this forum,and all the pictures,I just received the essence,and it is one beautiful model,I have been thrashing around the internet trying to get all the info I can find,wish there was some manual for us first timers into the world of electrics. it is an exciting challenge and has opened up a new insight for me in this great hobby.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Daveeast

Tater

Which motor and ESC do you have?

D
Old 06-30-2017, 02:07 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by tater1
This my first attempt at assembling an electric,wow this technology is really something,as my experience has been ys engines,Last contest for me was in district7,oct 1996.I am really appreciating this forum,and all the pictures,I just received the essence,and it is one beautiful model,I have been thrashing around the internet trying to get all the info I can find,wish there was some manual for us first timers into the world of electrics. it is an exciting challenge and has opened up a new insight for me in this great hobby.
If you think about it...it's a very similar build, install the motor same spacing as a YS and following the nose contours....ESC on a small platform under the motor, battery tray I do the very last I install it so I can do small CG change from the recommended C&G so everything as been done wings/stabs installed, control same as before....but now you don't vibration so no need to change the gears once in a while....

The only big difference for me, is the aircraft is all finish so extra care to not damage the shinny paint and the covering.......while putting it together, versus finishing it after the build. How and no bearing changes and big cleanup just need to removed the bugs once in a while
Old 06-30-2017, 04:47 AM
tater1

Dave

motor is Plettenberg 30-10

esc is Jeti dsm esc-dual
Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 AM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

IMHO, wing tip clipping is meant to improve snap performance and thus makes no sense on the stab.
Perhaps the stab fences are meant to compensate for the lost performance, but the ones supplied are incorrectly designed. It has been shown that fences that wrap around the leading edge of a swept surface actually introduce turbulence at that point.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Daveeast

Default Essence layout

My HYK C-50 layout, servo battery 1000 mAh is attached by red velcro straps on wing tube.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6897.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2222720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6898.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2222721  
Old 10-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Neko

I've never done a flying stab before. Can someone explain how I align it? The pictures are from the Essence instructions site. But my stab incidence checker doesn't fit onto the pivot for the stab. The hole is 9 mm, but the carbon tube that the pivot fits into is 10 mm. So can I just measure 3.2 mm from the edge of the servo cutout as shown? Are the second two dots in the 3rd picture the throws?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150328_151135.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	2239924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150409_114314.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	2239925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150409_114652.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	2239926  

Last edited by Neko; 10-03-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:16 PM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Neko
I've never done a flying stab before. Can someone explain how I align it? The pictures are from the Essence instructions site. But my stab incidence checker doesn't fit onto the pivot for the stab. The hole is 9 mm, but the carbon tube that the pivot fits into is 10 mm. So can I just measure 3.2 mm from the edge of the servo cutout as shown? Are the second two dots in the 3rd picture the throws?
I've done 2 of these....all you have to do is put the stab on the center tube then put the jig on the tube then insert the tube into the fuse then align the jig like the left picture.
Then use a marker through the small hole at the l/e.
Take it all apart, remove the jig adn continue.
I drilled a small hole in the fuse at the marked point.

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 10-03-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Neko

Sorry. Not gettng it. I can't lay the jig flush against the fuze, because it won't slide over the 10 mm diameter carbon tube that is glued into the fuse and sticks out an inch on each side. That 10 mm tube receives the 9 mm center tube and turn inside it. Or maybe I've done that incorrectly here.
What about the throws. Do the upper and lower dots in the third picture indicate the initial throws?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Daveeast

Just hone out the jig hole alittle till it fit over your tube.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:34 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by Neko
Sorry. Not gettng it. I can't lay the jig flush against the fuze, because it won't slide over the 10 mm diameter carbon tube that is glued into the fuse and sticks out an inch on each side. That 10 mm tube receives the 9 mm center tube and turn inside it. Or maybe I've done that incorrectly here.
What about the throws. Do the upper and lower dots in the third picture indicate the initial throws?
The 10mm tube was in position from the factory and flush with the side of the fuse on the 2 I have done.
Perhaps BJ has changed this.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...2-essence.html

Last edited by Dave Harmon; 10-04-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:00 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
I have taken my Essence out again , but in the same time I was think about try to get it a bit better ...and I see that I maybe have flown it With CG a bit aft compare to others.
I see that some off you balance it holding it in front off the canalister this I also has done but with the canopy on , so ...question ...have you balance with or without canopy??
it gives me about 1,5cm of diffrence on the battery exatly how much I move the cg i havent checked.
So now I have + 0,6 wing canaliser and stab 0 (stab will probaly be trimmed) motor -1
Old 07-10-2018, 05:43 AM
Dave Harmon

Originally Posted by RuneG
Hi
I have taken my Essence out again , but in the same time I was think about try to get it a bit better ...and I see that I maybe have flown it With CG a bit aft compare to others.
I see that some off you balance it holding it in front off the canalister this I also has done but with the canopy on , so ...question ...have you balance with or without canopy??
it gives me about 1,5cm of diffrence on the battery exatly how much I move the cg i havent checked.
So now I have + 0,6 wing canaliser and stab 0 (stab will probaly be trimmed) motor -1
I balance it without the canopy.
Instead of using the front of the canalizer I use the wing attach bolt hole.
Put both wings on and insert a piece of stiff steel wire through the bolt holes.
Insert the wire into one wing, then insert into the other wing, install the battery and lift up on the wire.
The airplane should go nose down a bit when lifting.....this will be a good starting point.
The wing is +.8 and the canalizer is 0 to the wing.
The stab was 0 to start with....I zeroed the transmitter trims and subtrim and flew it adjusting the transmitter trim in flight and left it there.
My Essence flies great with no mixes.
Move your battery/ESC considerably forward.
Most of my battery is forward of the landing gear plate.

Also....my airplane is one of the early models that has the removable engine cover and short gear legs.
I was concerned about the engine cover attach points but it has never given any trouble.
I replaced the gear legs with longer carbon fiber legs from F3-A Unlimited....a definite improvement in takeoff and landing.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 AM
RuneG

I now have the Balance at the flange that are at the aft end( is that right Word) off canopy without the canopy.
I give it some more flights as this and see
Old 07-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Dave Harmon

I now have the Balance at the flange that are at the aft end( is that right Word) off canopy without the canopy.
I give it some more flights as this and see
I think you will find that the canopy flange C/G will be too much tail heavy to fly without mix.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:29 AM
RuneG

I have the OS beltmotor and if I should move the battery futher in front I have to do some mod, I will give it some flights and see what I think.
Yester day it was to much crosswind to tell how the KE was .
Maybe I have to move the Esc up on the side in the fuse and have cabels at the back off the battery.
So you use the wing bolts for Balance point ok
Old 07-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Dave Harmon

I have the OS beltmotor and if I should move the battery futher in front I have to do some mod, I will give it some flights and see what I think.
Yester day it was to much crosswind to tell how the KE was .
Maybe I have to move the Esc up on the side in the fuse and have cabels at the back off the battery.
So you use the wing bolts for Balance point ok
It might be easier to move the elevator servo forward and use pull pull cables for the rudder.
You might add some lead weight to the nose to determine what it will take to get the C/G correct....then move equipment later and remove weight.
Let us know how how you are doing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.