Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hacker Q80-14XS / CC EDGE HV80 (Bad combo)?

Old 09-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Kevin Duncan
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hacker Q80-14XS / CC EDGE HV80 (Bad combo)?

All,

I just got my new Episode up and running. The plane flies good after some trim work. The problem I'm having is with my Motor/ESC not working well together. I've since discovered a few forums discussing that my set-up is flawed and won't work well (wish I had checked before buying what I did).

Here's what I have:

Hacker Q80-14XS
Castle Phoenix Edge HV80
I'm just flying with my old 4500 packs right now, but they pull my other pattern plane along just fine. Weight with this set-up is 4677 grams.

The first few flights power seemed sufficient. Now it seems like I'm just not getting full power out of the motor. Yesterday's flights took nearly 3/4 throttle just to maintain level and full barely got me through the vertical maneuvers. Last night I found some advice online regarding this motor/ESC combination and realized I'm not the only one with this issue. One forum recommended changing the PWM from 12% to 8%. I did that this morning and was initially excited as it seemed to pull better. But by the 3rd flight, I was back to sluggish power.

Was a solution ever found or have most folks just moved on to a different set-up?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Duncan; 09-24-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:38 AM
Anthony-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It may help if you post your ESC settings. Particularly, make sure auto endpoint is off.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:43 AM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Anthony. I'll try to list those this evening when I get home.

They should all be set at default, as I didn't do anything to it originally. Last night I did change the PWM from 12% to 8% and changed the End-point from "Auto" to "Fixed". I followed the Castle instructions on adjusting the Fixed. Then my first flight this morning was a bit better, but by the 3rd flight, It was struggling again.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:03 AM
Eggert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Q80 and CC is a bad combo ! Too many poles in the hacker for the CC to handle. A better choice for the motor is jeti regs........
you can transfer more amps and more power fast without missing timing
Old 09-26-2015, 11:34 PM
MAVROS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My advice to you is dump all these electrical cpra and get yourself aYS185 .....just feel er up and go flying no luck of power on any flight.....he he he

only kidding hope you sort it all out

regards
Old 09-27-2015, 07:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah get rid of that "Castle Cremations" ESC and go for a Mezon or Spin ESC from Jeti.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright, alright alright...............,

I have heard enough horror stories about this combination (in addition to my own) to come to the right conclusion. I have ordered a Jeti Spin Pro 99. Can't wait to see the full potential of my motor! Thanks for everyone's advise. Hope to get it installed and flying by next weekend. A bonus should be the weight factor. My plane came out slightly nose-heavy. Well, the Jeti specs show it to be 25 grams lighter than the CC, so it should improve the balance as well as providing more power.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Old 09-28-2015, 07:41 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Kevin Duncan View Post
Alright, alright alright...............,

I have heard enough horror stories about this combination (in addition to my own) to come to the right conclusion. I have ordered a Jeti Spin Pro 99. Can't wait to see the full potential of my motor! Thanks for everyone's advise. Hope to get it installed and flying by next weekend. A bonus should be the weight factor. My plane came out slightly nose-heavy. Well, the Jeti specs show it to be 25 grams lighter than the CC, so it should improve the balance as well as providing more power.

Thanks again,
Kevin
Did you order the programmer too? If not, call 'em back and get one of those as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did. I ordered the Spin Box along with the ESC. Thanks for the reminder though. It all should be in the mailbox waiting for me today when I get home.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:35 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you update the firmware to 4.22 castle should run that motor, that what the people at castle says
Old 09-28-2015, 10:36 AM
jetmech43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like CC stuff always works for me except the brake
Old 09-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I actually did do the update the night before my last time flying it. The next morning, I flew 3 flights:

Flight #1: Power seemed "reasonable", but not all there.
Flight #2: Had decreased power.
Flight #3: Required 3/4 throttle just to maintain level flight.

Sorry, but I don't feel like re-programming my ESC before every flight...........................

I do thank you for the suggestion though. I have run CC with my Himax and e-flite motors with zero problems, but this Hacker is a whole new ball game.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jetmech, I'm curious to know if you have success specifically with CC and a Hacker motor?

Last edited by Kevin Duncan; 09-28-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 AM
jetmech43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No Not with the Q-80
Old 10-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Kevin Duncan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank you everyone for your input. Went out this morning with the new Jeti Spin Pro 99. Had 3 great flights!

Now I have a new problem though (wink wink). The problem before was I didn't have enough power. Now the problem is I have too much! If that's even possible. I need to tone down my curve, as when I pull vertical and come in on the power, in a blink of an eye I'm nearing low earth orbit!

Again, I want to thank everyone for your help. Now I can start working on my pattern again!

Kevin
Old 10-01-2015, 04:15 PM
DaveL322

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not personally run the Q80 / Castle combination, but I have seen it work very well. Dan Landis flew it in the NATs finals this year and Ken Velez has also been running the combination in the northeastern US. I don't know the specific motor versions / software versions / software settings...maybe they will have some input.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:45 AM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One thing with the Castle HV80 is that when you turn on logging it will cause power problems with certain motor combination. So, I would check that you have it turned off. I have this combo with a Hacker A50-16L V1 and V3. With logging on the motor made a clunking sound and didn't develop full power. I don't think the cpu can keep up with the motor timing and logging at the same time. I played with this setup for a while and found out the log function was the problem,.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:11 AM
jetmech43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Shulman Fury and ran the CC controller and was told by castle techs to run the 3.27 firm ware for 28 pole motors and it did work with that motor with no issues.