Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Power Unlimited LiPo Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 03:09 PM
pappy35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Unlimited LiPo Reviews?

I like these packs for the price and low weight and am thinking about getting a set of the 5400mAh 5S packs. What's the general consensus on this brand? Care to recommend any others that are, ehem, more economical than <insert major brand name here>

Also, I new to pattern in the 21st century (use to fly it for a few seasons in the mid-90's). I have been focusing on 10S packs but looking through the Vanquish 2M build thread here, and a few others, I noted that some of you are using 5/6/8 cell packs combos as well. Doing the math, while doable, I figured this would drive current way up and hence reduce duration. Anyone care to help me understand this?

PS - I am prepping a 2M Vanquish I bought (really stole for $200) from a fellow club member.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been very happy with my Power Unlimited batteries, 2s, 4s and 5s sizes, 2 seasons old
IR numbers are as good as my ThunderPower packs
I would recommend them.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Glacier packs from Buddy RC. I had good luck with them.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy35
I like these packs for the price and low weight and am thinking about getting a set of the 5400mAh 5S packs. What's the general consensus on this brand? Care to recommend any others that are, ehem, more economical than <insert major brand name here>

Also, I new to pattern in the 21st century (use to fly it for a few seasons in the mid-90's). I have been focusing on 10S packs but looking through the Vanquish 2M build thread here, and a few others, I noted that some of you are using 5/6/8 cell packs combos as well. Doing the math, while doable, I figured this would drive current way up and hence reduce duration. Anyone care to help me understand this?

PS - I am prepping a 2M Vanquish I bought (really stole for $200) from a fellow club member.
I've been flying four sets of the 5100 mAh 5S packs in 10S setups and haven't had one wear out yet. I just stared flying the 5400mAh packs and they look even better. In the long run I believe you will find these are the most economical in terms of performance times number of flights per dollar.

Go with the 10S in the Vanquish. For a given power, higher voltage means lower current. But you need the right motor to match the 10S.

Jim O
Old 02-18-2016, 07:02 PM
pappy35

Originally Posted by Zippi
I use the Glacier packs from Buddy RC. I had good luck with them.
I have a couple of those and Glacier's. All are great values but not available in 5400mAh.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:19 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You fly at Prop Busters, I Was a member there before I moved to Florida, Go with the Power Unlimited great batteries, the Vanquish is set up 10s so use those.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:15 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pappy35,

They are really good packs. I've use them from 800 Mah up to my 5100's and they are a few years old now and the internal resistance is still around 2.0 Ohm's per cell. I fly FAI/F3A, so they get pulled on pretty good. I am looking forward to using the 5400-6000's in my old Nuance. I know a few guys using the 6000's in contra set ups and making weight with no issues.

Bill

Originally Posted by pappy35

Last edited by AmericanSpectre505; 02-19-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:17 AM
pappy35

Originally Posted by jetmech43
You fly at Prop Busters
I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

Yeah. I'm a member there but the house we bought last February burned up all my spare time and I'm just now getting to the point that I can start getting the Vanquish set-up. Hoping to have a lot more time to fly this year.

Last edited by pappy35; 02-19-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:26 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you know Keith Hoard and Clint Higdon, Al and AC Glenn they fly pattern and can help you out.