Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

OXAI no more ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bo, chances are great that Oxai finishes their wood parts in Esaki tissue. It a great bedding medium but is very thin, about 1/3 the thickness of glass. It hides the grain just as well and it will not telegraph the weave since the paper has no weave. But is very prone to hanger rash because it's so thin.

I use either Esaki tissue or silkspan for covering all wood surfaces on my models. I haven't used glass to cover my stuff since the 80's.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is silkspan still around? I remember using that back in the 70's.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:01 AM
viva_peru

Silkspan is still available through Brodak (control line supplier).
Old 04-27-2016, 06:36 AM
ltc

Thank you. I may have to buy some, along with some dope, for old times sake.
My first RC plane ever (Goldberg Falcon 56 with Enya 19) was covered in silkspan and Monokote ... it was a mess!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:08 AM
Portlandflyer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is an overview of how it's done. I will start updating this thread soon with a new build.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...-graphics.html
Old 04-27-2016, 10:49 AM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
My first RC plane ever (Goldberg Falcon 56 with Enya 19) was covered in silkspan and Monokote ... it was a mess!
Same EXACT combo...was my second r/c plane, back in '76. Goldberg Ranger 42 was my first.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:45 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by ltc
If you decide on dope to bed the paper, get Randolphs from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty. About half the price of Sig.

True, Brodak carries silkspan as do some of the websites catering to free flight.

Sig carries Jap tissue in 3 weights. It's the least expensive source I found, on par with silkspan. It's applied very similarly to silkspan. But it has really high wet strength making it easier to handle. It is also stronger than silkspan. For a fully sheeted surface, either or is fine.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:18 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,

It is probably still some "silk and dope" people that read this thread and I'm wondering about this problem:

On my Galactika I have some dents in the wings (that has been created during assembly and during transportation).

For example I have one deep dent in left aileron I would very much try to get rid of. The dent is about 10 x 5 mm and maybe 1,5 mm deep, see photo below. The skin/paint is still OK on the dent (no crack in paint surface).

I expect more dents in future because the wing/stab/rudder surfaces are rather fragile with the tissue covered balsa under the paint and clear coats.

Is there any "trick" to reverse the dent to get the surface at dent flat again?

I have heard that wet cloth and an iron may work to get the balsa under the dent skin to "swell" up agian.

Can this problem be solved?

thanks,

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika_left_wing_aileron_dent.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	2160627  

Last edited by bem; 05-03-2016 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:30 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,

It is probably still some "silk and dope" people that read this thread and I'm wondering about this problem:

On my Galactika I have some dents in the wings (that has been created during assembly and during transportation).

For example I have one deep dent in left aileron I would very much try to get rid of. The dent is about 10 x 5 mm and maybe 1,5 mm Deep, see photo below. The skin/paint is still OK on the dent (no crack in paint surface).

I expect more dents in future because the wings/stab/rudder surface are rather fragile with the tissue covered balsa under the paint and clear coats.

Is there any "trick" to reverse the dent to get the surface at dent flat again?

I have heard that wet cloth and an iron may work to get the balsa under the dent skin to "swell" up agian.

Can this problem be solved?

thanks,

/Bo
For the balsa to swell, the balsa needs to get wet not just the painted surface.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:50 AM
bem

Hi,
So the question is then how to get moisture/water to penetrate through the skin on the wing?
Place a small wet piece of cloth over the dent and then tape over so no evaporation, and let it be so overnight and hope the moisture will travel trough the skin? The wing has no epoxy on it so it is probably not tight.

Or maybe puncture the skin gently with a thin needle so moisture can penetrate easier down to the balsa (and then wet piece of cloth over night as previously described)?

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 05-03-2016 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:28 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
So the question is then how to get moisture/water to penetrate through the skin on the wing?
Place a small wet piece of cloth over the dent and then tape over so no evaporation, and let it be so overnight and hope the moisture will travel trough the skin? The wing has no epoxy on it so it is probably not tight.

Or maybe puncture the skin gently with a thin needle so moisture can penetrate easier down to the balsa (and then wet piece of cloth over night as previously described)?

/Bo
I think the paint would be water proof. It would need a hole for the water to get in.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can fill the nicks oe dents with clear cote, sand from 600 tp 3000 grit then buff.
Tha's what I do.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 PM
MAVROS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you just put a sticker on it.....
Old 05-04-2016, 01:07 AM
bem

Originally Posted by MAVROS
Why don't you just put a sticker on it.....
With that particular dent I posted a photo on in post #34 above It happened when I put the ThunderPower sticker on there.
There was an airbubble and I was trying to press that out gently at the edge with a soft Topz cutton swab.
The Surface on Galactika wings and stabs are rather soft, it is very easy to get dents.

And I was thinking for future also as I get more dents - I do not want to have a more and more decal covered plane as times goes

I can not remember I have had any plane before that has such fragile surface as my Galactika wing, stab, rudder.
I have build planes before (free flight, control-line and RC) that was covered with Japaneese tissue (probably Galacticka is also covered with similar material under the paint) and it has not been as fragile as my Galactika (what I can remember).

Of course I will be very careful when I handle my Galactika to try to avoid dents but there will always be "hangar rash" and on this plane easier then I'm used to. Oracover/Ultracote plastic film covered wings etc is more durable and smaller dents is usually just to take the iron and tighten the film over the dent and it is in most cases then invisible.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 05-04-2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Portlandflyer

Drop filling is the best method to repair them. As mentioned, you can use clear coat to fill in the dent and then level and buff it back. The big thing in instrument repair is to use CA that is formulated for this purpose that stays clear even with kicker. Here is a link to an excellent product and videos showing how it's done.

http://gearupproducts.com/fillnfinish.html
Old 05-06-2016, 04:47 PM
MTK

Pat,

I just finished shooting HOK base coat on my Delta's wing panels. First 3 very thin coats of white, then 3 thin coats of yellow. The yellow in not 100% opaque but it's very close. Total gain was 20 grams per panel. Yellow is just hard. I miss the DuPont yellow lacquer days when 1 coat covered.

Neon orange was sprayed as trim on the stab. It's quite the color, bright and reflecting. I'm curious how it will appear at the distance of interest. Neon green was rather drab. No clear yet so things will probably change
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Portlandflyer

Originally Posted by MTK
Pat,

I just finished shooting HOK base coat on my Delta's wing panels. First 3 very thin coats of white, then 3 thin coats of yellow. The yellow in not 100% opaque but it's very close. Total gain was 20 grams per panel. Yellow is just hard. I miss the DuPont yellow lacquer days when 1 coat covered.

Neon orange was sprayed as trim on the stab. It's quite the color, bright and reflecting. I'm curious how it will appear at the distance of interest. Neon green was rather drab. No clear yet so things will probably change
Matt,

Sounds like you are on your way with the HOK. Yellow is hard for sure. I just shot HOK white and yellow just last week. I'm getting some pictures together for my current build. I'll post it on my painting thread.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 AM
drac1

So, apparently Oxai are to keep producing F3A aircraft. But are setting up in a new location.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:47 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by drac1
So, apparently Oxai are to keep producing F3A aircraft. But are setting up in a new location.
So a different company/factory building them and using the Oxai name (Under license)?
Or is Oxai going to build a new factory themselves and produce planes again?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:52 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

That was on F3A Unlimited FB page last night....good news, Mike will probably post something....
Old 05-12-2016, 03:00 AM
bem

Hi,
Great news. It is on F3A Unlimited facebook site:

News flash!!!!!!
We just received word that Oxai will continue producing F3A/Pattern planes. It was with careful consideration that Oxai Professional has reconsidered their decision to leave F3A and concentrate on other opportunities outside of RC.. Yang has informed us of this decision today. They are moving into a new facility first and then we can resume taking orders. We expect the Nauke Designed Ascent Monoplane to be available in the near future.
We had pulled the listing but soon will be bringing them back to our site. Thank you Mr Yang for your cooperation.

https://www.facebook.com/f3aunlimited

That is nice - I have an Oxai Galactika flying.
/Bo
Old 05-12-2016, 03:10 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by ltc
So a different company/factory building them and using the Oxai name (Under license)?
Or is Oxai going to build a new factory themselves and produce planes again?
Not sure. But it seems strange that they went from stopping production so they could concentrate on full size projects, to setting up a new factory to continue production, which will involve a higher workload.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:54 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

On FB Mike did mention previously, that they were trying to find somebody to take Oxai F3A production over.....so this is probably it.....but I might be wrong.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:21 PM
MAVROS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey.....GREAT NEWS OXAI...

Don't give up make them a little cheaper and the market is there for you....
Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by MAVROS
Hey.....GREAT NEWS OXAI...

Don't give up make them a little cheaper and the market is there for you....
Cheaper??? I doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.