Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

OXAI no more ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:39 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MTK
The Rolls of pattern planes?? I don't think so. Just pigs with very nice lip stick?, yes, I'd agree.

for them to be the Rolls of pattern, they need to come out of the box in pristine condition, be lightweight not barely pass the limit, and fly without mixing. Their marketing strategy tho is excellent.....

You guys are right regarding other options. In fact there is one option that flies mix free and is a good looker out of the box. It may be the best monoplane flying today. And the designer is in constant communication with the factory to improve. I doubt that CPLR or Matt, with all due respect to this royalty of pattern, discuss manufacturing issues with Oxai.
I did say "seen to be". Like it or not, that is how many view Oxai.

I think weight is the biggest problem. I haven't bought a plane yet that made weight out of the box. I've had to ditch much of the included hardware, including under carriage and spats and buy lighter parts to get them under 5kg. Even had to make new firewalls and landing gear mounts, because the supplied items were far too heavy. They should be providing a plane that will be under 5kg, using all the included gear.

With all the experience and resources available to them, there is no reason why they can't provide a light weight plane with light weight components.

After all, these are supposed to be top quality equipment, for top level competitors. As such, they should be built to meet all the requirements for top level competition.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:43 PM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We should also make clear Oxai produces F3A class planes, not in tended for AMA really, of course an F3A can perform any other class, but many cheaper options can not perform well on F3A properly, pretty much almost any plane can perform P's but not all can perform F's to be competitive.

And you are right Scott, there is always a choice, and probably more than ever, but this is going to the "beating the dead horse" again, like electric/YS, why getting a F18MZ, etc.....

Besides Bryan's Allure I will not know which moderately priced plane could be flown on all categories to be very competitive..... that is important for buyers getting a new plane, and the information here is really biased by personal opinion/interest lately and could easily get misdirected towards an inappropriate decision, that, to me is worst than Oxai price.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:24 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by apereira
We should also make clear Oxai produces F3A class planes, not in tended for AMA really, of course an F3A can perform any other class, but many cheaper options can not perform well on F3A properly, pretty much almost any plane can perform P's but not all can perform F's to be competitive.

And you are right Scott, there is always a choice, and probably more than ever, but this is going to the "beating the dead horse" again, like electric/YS, why getting a F18MZ, etc.....

Besides Bryan's Allure I will not know which moderately priced plane could be flown on all categories to be very competitive..... that is important for buyers getting a new plane, and the information here is really biased by personal opinion/interest lately and could easily get misdirected towards an inappropriate decision, that, to me is worst than Oxai price.
Which is why they should easily make weight with the supplied parts.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM
apereira

But that depends on the equipment installed also, so there are variables not in control of manufacturers, and the planes are getting really big while maintainig the same weight, so it is also very complicated.

At the same time, I always ask for the arf weight before ordering, and Oxai has been pretty accurate on what I got, but I know the weight of all the components I use, on the other hand, if using the good stuff does not make weight, well that will be a different story, But I personally have not run into that so cannot guest what the manufacturer will do to help.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:52 PM
drac1

But that depends on the equipment installed also, so there are variables not in control of manufacturers, and the planes are getting really big while maintainig the same weight, so it is also very complicated.

At the same time, I always ask for the arf weight before ordering, and Oxai has been pretty accurate on what I got, but I know the weight of all the components I use, on the other hand, if using the good stuff does not make weight, well that will be a different story, But I personally have not run into that so cannot guest what the manufacturer will do to help.
Correct. And as we know, the lighter parts cost more.
So if someone buys cheaper products to keep the cost down, they do so at a weight penalty.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drac1
Correct. And as we know, the lighter parts cost more.
So if someone buys cheaper products to keep the cost down, they do so at a weight penalty.
Hmmm!! ... Lighter parts (plenty strong and stiff for the job) generally have less material in them. Less material actually cost less, except The builder may or may not have more time in the parts.

My blue printing technique for foam wings, stabs, rudder, takes time to prep, in the neighborhood of ten hours. I don't charge 1000$ extra for that service even though the result is superior to about anything flying today. But maybe I should since weights are so light yet stronger than most.

There are many ways to build superior parts and not have much extra time in at all. Canopies, chin cowls, landing gear and wheel pants, even hybrid gas/glow propellers and wheels, are a few examples.

BTW- there is nothing magical about a plane capable of F and Unknown F3A flight. There are several well conceived planes commercially available with that capability. But again, only one of them that is mix free. And its price is about half that of the Oxia planes. I don't know, maybe a couple of you are embarrassed by the fleecing.....
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by MTK
Hmmm!! ... Lighter parts (plenty strong and stiff for the job) generally have less material in them. Less material actually cost less, except The builder may or may not have more time in the parts.

My blue printing technique for foam wings, stabs, rudder, takes time to prep, in the neighborhood of ten hours. I don't charge 1000$ extra for that service even though the result is superior to about anything flying today. But maybe I should since weights are so light yet stronger than most.

There are many ways to build superior parts and not have much extra time in at all. Canopies, chin cowls, landing gear and wheel pants, even hybrid gas/glow propellers and wheels, are a few examples.

BTW- there is nothing magical about a plane capable of F and Unknown F3A flight. There are several well conceived planes commercially available with that capability. But again, only one of them that is mix free. And its price is about half that of the Oxia planes. I don't know, maybe a couple of you are embarrassed by the fleecing.....
Yes. You would think that lighter parts would cost less for the reasons you said, but it's been my experience that lighter parts actually do cost more.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:56 PM
serious power

Hi,
The biggest issue weight wise, with these and some other commercial offerings, is the weight in the wings and tails.
The fuz's are now generally quite good weight wise but frequently lacking good structural integrity in the undercarriage area.
That is not to say the Fuz's cannot improve in the weight dept,, . Will be interesting to see how Rodneys fuz turns out. Among the best that I've seen here is Todd Schmitt's Mystic.
Really nice, strong/stiff and light.
As regards weight in wings and tails, well that feeds (excuse the pun) directly into the manoeuvres.
Matt and others, Ewan for eg, have shown us the way to go here.
Weight savings of between 80g and 125g for a single plug in mono wing panel. That's 200g to 300g in wings and tails per model.
Now add the benefit from those expensive weight saving parts - Getting on for 350g now.
A guy called Henry Piorun (who I don't know) replaced his Galactic wings saving over 110g/panel - 225g for both. Add Matts methodology to Henrys effort and there is a very substantial result to be had.

See;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...-2010-a-3.html Post #63
http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...lactic&page=11 From post #165

The point is that these 'Rolls Royce' offerings should beat, not just match these simple one man efforts. (I say simple in the context of that what the glider guys get up to)
These RR offerings should have the best materials and good workmanship for the price.
They should also be able to employ methodologies that go far beyond those of the 'one man' efforts. A bit more F1 for me please and they can keep their RR's !!

Brian

Last edited by serious power; 07-26-2016 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:56 AM
DagTheElder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

What weight preferance RTF do you People have??? Its a little bit confusing With all this grams here and there.

Regards
Old 07-26-2016, 04:13 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by DagTheElder
Hi,

What weight preferance RTF do you People have??? Its a little bit confusing With all this grams here and there.

Regards
I can only speak for myself but I would have prefered to get my Oxai Galactika at around 4800 gram ready to fly with 5000 mAh battery.
I can bring it down to 4900 myself with some effort but under that it will be very hard unless I change to less then 5000 mAh battery to save weight.

I hear some say 4500-4600 gram ready to fly F3A models would be nice but I do not know how to achieve that with 5000 mAh battery onboard.

/Bo
Old 07-26-2016, 06:28 AM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the heaviest packs I had (1255g) at the Nats this year, just to get my Acuracy right up as close to 5050g as I could get :-) Derek said I was 5020g, and I was even thinking about adding another 30g just to make it heavier.

I have owned 5 Oxai models, two Axiome, a Citrin and two Acuracy's, and have not had an issue making weight with any of them using the parts from the kit. Nothing really special equipment wise, but I am careful about using overkill wiring, and don't run dual rx packs.

Expensive yep, but life's short so what the hell
Old 07-26-2016, 11:36 AM
serious power

Originally Posted by DagTheElder
Hi,

Regards
Hi,
At these prices;
Run a Brenner V3, carry 5800mAh/6000mAh (for F's & Unknowns) and make weight.

That is not the point though.
It is not about 'making weight'.
For optimum flight performance the wings and the tail end should be as light as possible.
The RR of commercially available models should be striving to optimise flight performance.
It is not rocket science - it's simple really - use good materials and employ good production QC !!

Brian
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM
MTK

Brian,

That's my exact point.... "Best materials" will be an improvement but not without better technique. The one thing that you can't expect is innovation. Not every one can invent. Landing gear treatment is one area sorely lacking even though I have shown much lighter and stronger solutions in this area in various threads. Nat Penton invented an even lighter gear and installation than me, except, no pants. At 3 ounces his was 2/3rds the weight of mine, which included wheels and axles. Compare the gear weights Nat and I achieved to any other gear being used today.

Solutions are free of charge to you the modelers and to them the makers of the planes, but I accept royalties, LoL....

Bryan and I were talking recently about weighty issues. He said something that makes sense.... his designs are built by wage earners, not modelers. They don't have the luxury of pontificating over the removal of every last gram...... Well, we as modelers do, but not when some plunk down six grand for their toy plane and are not about to carve weight out. The expectation should be that weight carving has been done already

Last edited by MTK; 07-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM
apereira

My four Oxai made weight with no problems, as Chad said, all of his, so 9, from my other friends in South America 3 more, 12, Spain 4 more, 16..

So 16 Oxai which easily made weight, so all this weight thing is coming from really noting but bashing.

And as I have asked except Chad, no one has paid those 6K said.

And less material = cheaper?

Wow, no further comment......
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
apereira

Deleted,

Last edited by apereira; 07-26-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
serious power

Hi Matt,
As you know I'm in no way referring to Bryans stuff or the BJ offerings.
These are at a different price point and good if not very good at their respective pp's.
Bryans stuff looks great and your point re feedback to the factory is well noted, I have not had the pleasure personally - yet !!
A builders kit of his new bipe would be of great interest.

You are correct about technique - that, in part anyway, is what I meant by production QC.

Actually I think there is an opportunity in this for Bryan and others.
A deluxe version of their offerings using the slightly more exotic materials c/w tighter build controls/methods.
A $100 to $250 increase in material cost could yield a $500 to $1,000 premium as compared with a $6000 price tag.

Apereira ; My understanding from the earlier comments is that $6,000 is the new price. ($5,700 actually) Maybe you need to ask those buying the new stuff !!?? No bashing - just stating facts and expressing views re expectations/possibilities !! One would expect a radio as std,, in a Rolls Royce !??
Another fact; Oxai were happy to ditch their F3A customers a few months ago !!
There are $750, $1000, $1500 & $2000 offerings that make weight. Making weight is a very basic and fundamental requirement - more an assumption !!

Brian

Last edited by serious power; 07-26-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 PM
apereira

Hey Brian,

New price, I do not know about it, the latest model I bought was the Acuracy, and a friend got the Accent Bipe, so actually those are the latest, is there a new list price somewere?

But as I am in the Aeronautic Business I know how expensive a production line gets, it is a struggle with aircraft manufacturer's, I was for sure not happy with them closing when I was going to get an Accent, but I do respect their decision to dedicate their efforts to the full size.

I just got the wing of my Axiome+ damaged during transportation, it was insured, but I could not claim the insurance as there was not a replacement wing or plane, so not happy at all, but I will fix it, there are just four 2" holes in between ribs on the intradox, again, as you can see, I am one of those customers who does not have the support, but business wise I understand and accept the fact and their decision.

In turn it is an opportunity to finally get on a kit building as I wanted to go back to building again for a long time.

I understand, some planes are not perfect, but not all are, I do understand your point and respect it.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM
serious power

Apereira,

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/oxai-asc...-call-to-order
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/oxai-gal...d-paint-scheme

Brian
Old 07-26-2016, 03:39 PM
apereira

For example, the new Verrari from Bryan and built by Tuny Pro, has some new materials, it is not fiberglass, it is called Terrafiber, is lighter and much more stronger, and that is an innovation.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:42 PM
drac1

Bipes are $6000.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:49 PM
apereira

Wow, I see now...... but prices were lower on F3A Unlimited before.

I wonder if that is final price,
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 PM
drac1

For example, the new Verrari from Bryan and built by Tuny Pro, has some new materials, it is not fiberglass, it is called Terrafiber, is lighter and much more stronger, and that is an innovation.
The Verrari will be a higher price than the Allure, but it will be well built and finished, straight and accurate. And as you say, innovative.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:32 PM
bem

Hi
The Verrari have retracts. Hurray!
http://www.precisionaeroproducts.com.au/81-verrari-bipe
I really like that.
/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-26-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 PM
apereira

I saw it when Tuny finished it, the finish and quality is incredible, and it can not be cheap for sure, but we'll have to wait for the production version yet.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

Now price in Europe for Galactika EP with accessories is 5000 $.
Claude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.