Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Oxai Galactika unboxing, assembly, setup, maiden etc.

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Oxai Galactika unboxing, assembly, setup, maiden etc.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Bo,
Sent you a PM

Malcolm
Old 06-19-2017, 09:53 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Thanks Malcolm, I got Your PM.
/Bo
Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 PM
bem

Hi,
My Galactika is now back in service, flew 10 flights this evening and it flies as before.
I have been in contact with a Hui Yang Professional F3A reseller here in Europe (in Ireland) and this reseller will contact Hui Yang about the spare parts for my Galactika EP that I want to buy.

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01_Galactika_after_topwing_repair.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	2221034   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_Galactika_after_topwing_repair.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	2221035  
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 AM
bem

nHi,
Some update: Hui Yang Professional F3A is now making the spare parts I ordered from the reseller in Ireland. It will take 30 days for delivery of the spare parts. I do not know if it is any more reseller here in Europe then the Irish reseller, but this reseller was very helpful to make sure I was able to get the spare parts I needed. It is Noel Barret that is the Irish Hui Yang Professional F3A reseller. He is really an F3A veteran, he has competed in all World and European Championships from 1983-2009 as member of the Irish F3A team he told me.
I was out flying some days ago and it was very windy and this time I learned my lesson: I fastened my Galactika with flexible cords in the landing gear to screwdrivers into the ground. I do not want the rather expensive "rollover" that happened one week ago to happen again.

/Bo

Name:	tiedown.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	788.9 KB
ID:	2221710  

Last edited by bem; 06-28-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend had a similar incident a few years ago. I think his still had the covers on. Luckily, the damage was not too severe and he was able to repair with an almost invisible crack on the top of the canalyzer.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:29 PM
bem

i,
What a day...
I had trouble with my Futaba 14MZ today when out flying. The throttle stick potentiometer is bad. At lowest throttle stick position it is about 1/3 power now on the electric motor. I can see in AFR (DR) on Throttle that the low end of throttle is way up and the vertical line is moving by itself slightly left-right. I showed it to another guy at the airfield that has used a 14MZ for many years and he agreed it is a potentiometer problem. So my transmitter is taken out of service now and one of our club member that owns a 14MZ (that he do not use anymore since he have a 18MZ these days) was kind to let me loan his 14MZ transmitter.
I have just transfered my present F3A model from my SD card to his transmitter internal memory, made the sticks longer as I'm used to, turned the sticks tension to max that I'm used to, relocated some 3-pos switches that was not where I need them, calibrated the LCD (very hard to press on this LCD screen compared to mine) and cleaned it up some (the guy I loaned the TX from is a glow power flyer only).
I'm ready for flying tomorrow.
Will send my 14MZ in for service after summer (I can loan the clubmate 14MZ whole summer). I will let the Futaba service center here in my country change to new potentiometers on all places, install a new internal bettery also (must be soldered to motherboard) and I will also chage 3 of the 3-pos switches that I use alot to new one. This will be the last money I will spend on my 10 years old 14MZ.
My 14MZ (to the left) and my clubmates 14MZ in photo below after I was finished with the work.

Time to go to bed.

/Bo

Name:	Two_14MZ.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	2222996  

Last edited by bem; 07-13-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:30 AM
bem

Hi,
The spare parts from Hui Yang Professional F3A has arrived now and I opened the plywood transportation box today that contain the spare parts. Unfortunately the new Galactika top wing has cruched tips, both tips. The top wing has not been properly secured in the transportation box and was able to move around in the box so during transportation the tips has been chrushed. I'm not fond of repair brand new top wing spare part so I have contacted the reseller to let Hui Yang Professional F3A give comment on the photos I sent to the reseller of the damage.
To bad that Oaxi / Hui Yang Professional F3A do not make sure the content in the transportation box are able to survive the rough handling it obvioulsly need to sustain when the box is sent over the whole world.
When my Oxai Galactika model arrived in feb 2016 at my doorstep it had a transportation damage on top of the fuselage. So this is second time (out of two shipment) I got transportation damage on parts inside a transportation box from Oaxi / Hui Yang Professional F3A. It seems they could improve on the package.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-24-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:25 AM
bem

Hi,
Oxai/Hui Yang Professional F3A is now making a new top wing for me.
One side note:
My original Galactika top wing had a weight of 150 grams.
The top wing that they made as spare part (that had crushed tips at delevery) has a weight of 202 grams.
That is a lot of weight difference.
I did not expect such difference, 25% heavier. Not good at all on an already heave plane.
I suppose they do not use light enough balsa (or to much glue or paint or whatever).

/Bo
Old 08-11-2017, 12:45 AM
bandicootf16

Hi Bo

At 150 grams I think you have a very light 730mm Galactika canalizer. My Galactik 600mm canalised is176g . So 202 grams seems about right. Maybe the wood in the 202 gram canalizer is normal but your 150 gram was super light

David
Old 08-11-2017, 03:00 AM
bem

Hi,
Oxai/Hui Yang Professional F3A has now promissed the new top wing/canalizer they are doing will be very light. I will post the weight when it has been delivered to me.
/Bo
Old 08-14-2017, 02:34 PM
bem

Hi,
A little update on the flying/competition this season:

Season started little late this year at end of May with first competition, the spring competition.
If was fun with many top pilots from both my own country and also Norway and Denmark.
Ola Fremming won the FAI F3A class, not unexpected.
My own flying was so and so but it was OK.

Early in summer it was time for "Border line cup" (where I was CD) and it was many participants from abroad this time also, from Norway, in addtiton to Swedes of course. I was also competing in FAI F3A class at this competition, rather hectic, but it worked OK with focus mainly as CD for obvious reasons.
The norwegian top pilot Ola Fremming won again.

Then it was time for the Nordic Championships in July where the national teams from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland participated. It was a very nice event held in Denmark at "RC Parken", the nicest modelflying field I have ever seen. It was no surprise that Lassi Nurila from Finland won the FAI F3A class after the preliminary and final rounds (he got highest score in all rounds). Lassi flew a slightly modified Sensation biplane. He was kind to give me an interview efter his win that will be published in our Swedish Model Flying Federation member Magazine. My own goal at this competition was to avoid last place and I managed that (two behind me).

Last competition for the season will be in early September now, the Swedish Championship.

There are some dark clouds on the sky regarding the airfield I fly most, the authoroties want to close the airfield for usage as it is today with general aviation etc and they want the full scale club to move away from their own field (the club own both the landing strip and the hangars). It feels like David and Goliath strugle. I'm a support member in the full scale club also since I fly so much at this airfield. General aviation has flown here since early 1960th.Before that it was a Swedish Airforce war airfield during the propeller era. The authorities want the airfield to be only a "museum" since this is the last war airfield remaning from second WW II here in our country. Many hours and much money has been plowed into restoration of the whole field so it looks basically as it was during WW II. Both the historical organisation, under the supevision of the regional authorities that has set up the rules (already in 2003), and the full scale club has been at this field for many years. But now the authorities want that the historcal part to be alone at the field. Modern planes do not fit in then, non WW II hangars etc must be removed so everything must look exactly as in 1942-1945 (airfield was built in 1942) when the field was mainly in use during WW II.
I have flown model aeroplanes myself since 1973 at this airfield and I know it was already in the 1950th competitions in free flight at this airfield. Free flight competitions is banned by the way by the authorities since rather many years - do not fit in historically they say. Model flying (non competition) is so far allowed but the authorothies banned cutting of the grass at our model flying area at the airfield some years ago forcing us to the main runway for take off/landings where they have no saying since the grass there must be cut for safety reasons for the full scale aeroplanes. It is two model flying clubs using this airfield.

Last year it was held the Swedish Championships in full scale aerobatics at this field and it was a great film made at that occasion.
Here it is, link below, enjoy! Despite all talk in the video is in Swedish I hope all the great flying and persons shine through.
I had my Galactika plane at display at this great event. The pilots was very interested about the plane and had many questions about the plane and the maneouvers we fly (I had the P-17 scheduled printed beside the plane).
See last photo in post #117 above:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...l#post12256307

Lets hope the authorothies change their mind. The club at the field has a petition going on, both on paper and electronically on internet (so far over 1000 persons has signed their name).

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-14-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:20 PM
bem

Hi,
Yesterday after I had flown and disassembled my Galactika for transportation home in my car I discovered a crack on right wing top surface where the wing pipe end.
Today I tested to stick the carbon wing tube into this right wing and bend the tube up and down and when bending it down I can see it moved slightly at the crack.
I know another F3A pilot that has Galactika wing also on his plane and got cracks on his wings and had to cut open the wings and reinforce.
I see no other way out of this for my wings also although the left wing has no crack (yet).
I have about 500 flights on my Galactika.
I suspect it is the snaproll in the P-17 (nr 15 manouvre) that kills the wings in my case since it must be rather much force on the wings and wing-tubes then.
I talked in spring at a competition to the other guy that has Galactika wings that got cracks also and he warned me and to watch up for cracks in wing at wing tube. He showed me photos of his needed reinforcement inside wing at wing tube, and he had of course to cut up the wings to be able to reinforce.

I'm not so happy about this, I think I expected little more of Galactika build quality inside.
It seems it could be room for improvment in wing structure on Galactika wings. The wing tube is very short on Galactika and that put much stress on the tube inside the wings. It would have been better I think if a longer and little less diameter wingtube had been used.
I took a photo of the crack, see below (click to enlarge and You can see the crack), it is about 20 millimeter(0.79 inch) in length.
Compared to the wing-tube on my previous plane Sebart MythoS Pro the wing-tube on MythoS Pro is 170 mm (6.7 inch) longer.
The fuselage is wider on Galactika then on MythoS Pro at wing-tube position so effective lenght from fuselage side that go into a wing is on Galactika 145 mm and on MythoS Pro 240 mm. So it is not much length of a wing tube that go into the wing on Galactika.
I have been in doubt ever since I unpacked my Galactika from the box last year and I saw the short wing-tube it has that this is probably a source for problems sooner or later in the pipe in the wing structure. Now we have the answer, and I'm not alone with this happen on Galactika wing. Photo below of Galactika wing-tube compared to MythoS wing-tube.

/Bo

Name:	Galactika_crack_top_surface_right_wing_where_wingtube_end.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	2229540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika_wingtube_compared_to_MythoSPro.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	2229542  

Last edited by bem; 08-27-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:53 PM
propnuter

Hi,
Not that this will help you but to keep information flowing. I have a 2017 Galacktika. Based on your information it looks like there has been some modifications to deal with the issue.
The wing tube length has been increased to 590mm with 213mm extending into each wing. I should also note that my model is the GP version and could have been made stronger all along ?
Regards
Shane

Last edited by propnuter; 09-04-2017 at 04:51 AM. Reason: More detail
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 AM
bem

Hi Shane,
It is great that Galactika 2017 has been modified to the better regarding length of wingtube. It is nice to know that enhancements is made when needed by Oxai/Hui Yang Professional F3A.

/Bo
Old 09-04-2017, 01:57 AM
bem

Hi,
Little update on the competition front:
This weekend it was Swedish Championships F3A 2017 in classes FAI F3A and the Nordic class Nordic-F3A, that is basically Advanced class where A-18 Schedule is used for the moment but modified slightly in manoeuvres 1, 8, 9 and 10 to better meet our requirements in the Nordic countries. It is named Schedule N-17 (it has been in use for 2016-2017 seasons, and it will be a new Schedule for 2018-2019 seasons).

The Swedish Championships 2017 in both classes was held in Linkoping and Linkopingseskadern model flying field. On Saturday it was nice weather with sunshine and calm winds, on Sunday it was rather low clouds and some rain showers and moderate winds was blowing in towards pilot.
The competition was well organized and it was lunch served each day and it was also snacks, coffee, etc available. We also had our annual F3A meeting where it was decided what to do next year (competitions, courses etc).
Winner in FAI F3A class was Anders Johansson (again - he has won many many Swedish Championships in F3A before). Congratulations on the victory!
Winner in Nordic-F3A was Tomas Johansson (he has also won before). Congratulations on the victory!
Myself I placed 3rd in FAI F3A class.

Thanks to both the organaizer and to the competitors, that made this competition to a nice relaxed competition.

Some photos below.
/Bo

Photo 1: Sebart PrometheuS Biplane - winner in FAI F3A class, Anders Johansson
Photo 2: Sebart MythoS Pro - winner in Nordic-F3A class, Tomas Johansson
Photo 3: First to third place FAI F3A class (from left: Johan Brorsson 2nd place, Anders Johansson 1st place, Bo Edstrom 3rd place)
Photo 4: First place in Nordic-F3A class Tomas Johansson

Name:	Sebart_PrometheuS_Biplane_Anders_Johansson.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	484.6 KB
ID:	2230455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sebart_MythoS_Pro_Tomas_Johansson.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	714.5 KB
ID:	2230456   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swe_Championship_F3A_2017_from_left_2ndJohan_Brorsson_1stAnders_Johansson_3rdBo_Edstrom.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	2230457   Click image for larger version

Name:	1st_place_Tomas_Johansson_Nordic-F3A_class.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	2230458  

Last edited by bem; 09-04-2017 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 AM
bandicootf16

Hi Bo
Congratulations on your 3rd place finish in F3A. Also thank for your summary of Swedish Championships.
Did you do any repairs to the wing before the competition or did you just fly it with the crack - a little scary if you did.

David
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 AM
bem

Hi David,
Thanks. I did not repair the right wing. I tested with the wing tube in the right wing and bent up/down and decided the force I used to bend was high enough for the wing to hold a few more flights, for the competitionflights. I made 6 flights early last week after I discovered the crack and I also made 6 flights the day before the competition and checked the crack in the wing carefully after each flight and it was not worst. It is still not worst after the competition. I will repair now since the competition season here in my country is finished for this season. I got PM from another user that it is problem with wing structure strength on other Oxai plane (not just on Galactika). Actually in this case it is good that Galactika wing is painted and clear coated (and fragile surface) so the crack could be visible, with a plastic film covered wing it would probably be almost impossible to discover this I can imagine.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 09-04-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM
MAVROS

Hi all,

I too had some issues with my OXAI GALACTIK.

Firstly the canopy departed from the airframe on the second flight due to poor design IMHO.
Secondly the area around the landing gear started cracking once again due to poor strengthening / design.

On both occasions however OXAI acknowledged the fault and a new canopy free of charge was send to me and a new fuselage at a very reasonable cost was also send.

Full marks to OXAI on both occasions so will I buy another OXAI....? Absolutely YES......but they need to bring the cost down to a more realistic level.......

kind regards
Old 09-05-2017, 09:36 PM
bem

Hi Mavros,
I have heard from another F3A pilot with Galactik fuselage (not Galactika) that it was problem with the lock of the canopy. On Galactika, that I have, it has not been any problem with the canopy lock so I assume they made a modification. I also got cracks in fuselage behind landing gear area and crack also extended upwards on fuselage side. I reparied that myself. It is rather easy to understand why this can happen since the crack starts in my case at the corner of the air vents exit. It is good Oxai stand behind their products and give good support to their end users.
I think Oxai/Hui Yang Professional F3A, at least for Galactika, should try to get it rather much lighter and perhaps they should bring down the price level some so it is not so huge gap to most other brands price levels. And perhaps they should offer option for plastic covered wing and stab to get the plane lighter and also that way bring down the cost. For me I would choose a plastic covered wing+stab because where I fly the fragile paint on my Galactika gets dents and marks (but my previous plane Sebart MythoS Pro with plastic film wing+stab had no problem with dents since the plastic film has a flexible surface and give no cracks).

/Bo.

Last edited by bem; 09-05-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:27 AM
bem

Hi,
I got a request to show the crack in relation to wing tube position.
So here are some photos.
In first and second photo You can see where the wing tube goes in the wing, where I have taped to show this.
In third photo I tried to get a close view of the crack but image not so sharp because I use an iPhone and not so good light in the room.
Hope it gives little better information for those who are interested.

/Bo

Name:	01_Galactika_crack_in_wing.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	2230853   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_Galactika_crack_in_wing.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	2230860   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Galactika_crack_in_wing.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	2230861  

Last edited by bem; 09-06-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:44 AM
bem

Hi,
I got the replacment Galactika Top wing today from Oxai/Hui Yang Professional F3A.
It had survived the transportation to me and this time the tips of the top wing was very well padded and no damage on the top wing.
The weight of the new Top wing is 181 gram.
My original Top wing that was shipped with the plane last year had a weight of 150 gram before my repair and after the repair I made weight is 171 gram.
The Top wing that I first got as spare part that had crushed tips has a weight of 203.5 gram.
So the latest Top wing is 31 gram heavier then my original Top wing (before my repair of original Top wing).
I will have to live with that and accept the latest spare part Top wing. I will have to try to make Galactika lighter by changing servos. ESC, flight battery so I can get the weight down to more reasonable level (not just because of heavier Top wing) - it barely make the 5000 gram limit today and with the new Top wing it will not.

My hat off to Noel Barret for the contact with Oxai and I want to point out that Hui Yang Professional F3A send the new Top wing I received today without any charge whatsoever and that really show that they stand behind their products and really want customers to be satisfied.
However I think Hui Yang Professional F3A could improve some on more even weight on various parts like the Top wing in this case and also be more even in quality/finish on the spare parts they produce. My original Top wing was very light and had outstanding finish, the first spare part wing is too heavy and is not so good build/finish quality, the second Top wing I got today is still litle too heavy in my opionion but the finish was about the same as original Top wing has so that was fine.

The build/finish quality of the "heavy" (203.5 gram) Top wing with crushed tips is not that impressive, I let the photos 7-9 below speak for themselves.

Photo 1: The new Top wing that arrived today Sept 8 was well padded on the tips.
Photo 2 and 3: The previous heavy 203.5 gram spare part Top wing crushed tips.
Photo 4: The new Top wing that arrived today Sept 8, weight 181 gram.
Photo 5: The old heavy spare part 203.5 gram Top wing.
Photo 6: The original Top wing (after my repair) 171 gram (weight was before the repair 150 gram).
Photo 7-9: Build/finish quality of the heavy 203.5 gram Top wing.

Name:	01_Transportationbox_Galactika_Top_wing.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	2231009   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_Galactika_Top_wing_203.5gram_crushed_tip.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2231010   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Galactika_Top_winh_203.5gram_crushed_tips.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2231011   Click image for larger version

Name:	04_Galactika_Top_wing_181gram.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2231012   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_Galactika_Top_wing_203.5gram.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	2231013   Click image for larger version

Name:	06_Galactika_Top_wing_171gram.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	2231014   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_Galactika_Top_wing_finish_guality.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2231015   Click image for larger version

Name:	08_Galactika_Top_wing_finish_guality.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2231016  

Click image for larger version

Name:	09_Galactika_Top_wing_finish_guality.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2231017  

Last edited by bem; 09-08-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM
bem

Hi,
It seems Christophe Paysant-Le Roux these days use his Galactika with shorter wingtips.
I do not know if he has completely abandoned the longer wingtips in favor of shorter wingtips on his Galacitka.
It seems almost it is the older Galactik wing he use on Galactik today? See photos in links below.

Photos here from 2017 Aerobatic Bordeaux Cup July 7-9 where Christophe won with his Galactika with shorter wingtips:
http://jp-f3a.blogspot.se/
(scroll down some and there is a photo below the scores, where the Galactika can be seen with the shorter wingtips)

There is also a photo that can be seen here from 2017 Great Britain F3A World Cup June 23-25:
http://jp-f3a.blogspot.se/search?updated-max=2017-07-12T13:08:00%2B02:00&max-results=4
(winner Christophe Paysant-Le Roux on the podium holding his Galactika with shorter wingtips)

On July 2015 Oxai had photos on Galactika on their homepage and some of them showed Galactika with short wingtips and some with long wingtips, two photos below from the site to show the difference.

Maybe Christophe Paysant-Le Roux was not fullly satisfied with the wing that has longer wingtips, and use instead the wing with shorter wingtips today?
Or maybe he use the wing with shorter wing tips when conditions may be favorable for that wing, and the wing with shorter wingtips when conditions may be favorable for that wing?
It will be interesting to see photos from F3A World Championships November 3-11 what wing he will use there.

/Bo

Name:	Galactika_short_wings_Oxai_homepage_July2015.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	2241661   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galactika_long_wings_Oxai_homepage_July2015.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	2241662  

Last edited by bem; 10-19-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 PM
bem

Hi,
Christophe Paysant-Le Roux has a new Galactika + with some enhancements.
What can be seen in the photo is belly fins, shorter wingtips and rudder has a front part on upper end.
Other then that I can not see any obvious changes (compared to my own Galactika).
His plane is still glow powered.

/Bo

Name:	Galactika_plus.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	2243214  
Old 10-31-2017, 10:56 PM
papaone

Received 129 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello Bem

Another modification
Claude

Name:	IMG-20171101-WA0002.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	2243216  
Old 10-31-2017, 11:02 PM
bem

Wow, that is a new thing.
Is it a break in the middle?
I suppose the outer control surfaces on the top wing is coupeled with elevator movement to aid in sharp corners?

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 11-01-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.