Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

App for measuring F3A flying sector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 02:31 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default App for measuring F3A flying sector?

Hi all,

Maybe subject is not exactly in right forum but I guess it is in here I might get useful info.

Problem:

When measuring F3A flying sector on the ground at our club we use cords, one 150 meter, one 260 meter and one 300 meter and that way get correct distances and angles when streched out on the ground. It works but takes a lot of time especially since we have to use two sectors (if competitions) since sun disturbe otherwise. So all needs to be done twice (if competition and two sectors then needed).

I have thought that if it was an app that use a map like google maps where You can see on the map where You are with your mobile (with the app installed) and then measure 150 meter in front of You (in the app) and there perpendicular 260 meters each side, and then just walk to these spots with help of the app/map/GPS to finally knock down pins on these spots - and then all is done (=You know where to put the poles). Fast, accurate, and easy to repeate when needed.

We are not allowed by the farmer that own the fields around the modelflying field to have poles permanently in the terrain. So that is why we want to be able to accuratly and quickly when needed do above.

In these days of apps doing almost anything I'm sure it must be something we can use to solve the above?

Iny input appreciated.

regards,
Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-25-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very few sites in my area allow for using poles but this is how I draw lines.

Box lines
I use a long piece of heavy string with three cheap screw drivers, also large nails would work. Usually, we buy the parking lot paint to draw the lines. The little cart they sell does make it easier but frequently only fits one brand of paint. Buy the whole box because it takes way more than you think especially if you are going to set up for two flight lines. On grass white is generally more visible than yellow.
Tie a nail at each end of a string about 50 feet long. Hold the two nails and stretch it out to find the middle and tie the third nail leaving you with two equal lengths between the three nails. Paint a line parallel to the flight line about six feet long as the base of your pilot station. Then stick the middle nail in the middle of that line for your center line. Extend your string out perpendicular to the base and place them in the end nail and paint your center line. I frequently eyeball this but if you have a framing square you can get a good 90 degree center line. Next comes the hardest part. Don't move the end nail that is in the ground. Swap the middle nail with the unused end nail and walk with the middle nail to one side. When both strings are taught you will have made an equilateral triangle the center line. If you remember trigonometry an equilateral triangle has all sides the same length and all angles are 60 degrees. Stick the center nail in the ground and paint your side line. Finally, pull the middle nail and walk to the opposite side of center leaving the two end nails in the ground at the center line. When the lines are taught you will again have an equilateral triangle. Place the middle nail in the ground and paint the other side line. Once I am done I pull all the nails let the whole mess dry and save it intact for next year.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	String starting configuration.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	2174453  

Last edited by Anthony-RCU; 07-26-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:18 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I selected to use Google maps for this task.
I made the needed measurment in Google maps on my laptop and saved the places, each spot (4 spots for each of the two sectors I needed).
For each spot I have the coordinates now and I can see them in my iPhone where I have Google maps also, when I have logged in on my Google account.
I have checked all distances from the 0 points (where the pilot is) for each sector and it is exact distances now: 150 meter, 260 meter each side and 300 meter från endpoints back to 0-point.
So now when I will walk on the fields with my iPhone I will see when I'm over the spots/coordinates when looking in Google maps.
Should be good enough.
It will be nice to not need to use the cords that was used before to measure everyting, and everyting should go rather much faster and be more accurate to get the poles in correct position.

/Bo