Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Stabilizer Fences

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 07:58 AM
Silver Bullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilizer Fences

I've got a new Invitation and indeed the rudder is very sensitive. Exponential helps some but is just not the way I want to go. This plane comes with stab fences and two jigs one at 95 degrees and one parallel to the centerline of the fuselage. I suppose the intention is to try both and determine which is better for the pilot. I don't think I am good enough to discern the difference and that's why I am asking on this forum. I am just an 'advanced' class flyer.

What angle have most of you found to be the best for BJ's generation 2 planes?

Thanks much,
Bob
Old 08-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Dre
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

I have flown the Invitation quite a lot and do not find the yaw response to be overly sensitive. Actually, quite the opposite relative to a number of other current designs. I will assume you have the stock wing configuration (straight taper wings), which is what I have.

Maybe you are trying to have the full range of throw required for normal flying and stall turns? If so, it could be quite sensitive and drive you to need a lot of expo - the design has bipe-like yaw authority if you want it. If you are not doing so, I suggest having a D/R or separate condition for stall turns.

My normal flying (rolling maneuvers) rudder condition has minimal expo. I suggest you try minimizing the expo and reducing AFR until you find a combo that has just enough yaw authority for rolls.

If you have the stock wing configuration please make sure your CG is ~200mm from the wing root LE. This being said, the Invitation control response is not that sensitive to CG.

Regards,

Andre Bouchard