ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Interceptor - new plane from Akiba

Just found this from Japan
インターセプター
https://morris-hobby.securesite.jp/82_1606.html
ウイングクラフトイナガキ

Ventral strake on top of fuse by rudder reminds me of the one from the CompARF Valiant 2m plane designed by Bryan Hebert; I don稚 recall seeing one since.
nice looking plane IMHO

Old 07-13-2020, 10:16 PM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

Others pics
ウイングクラフトイナガキ

Old 07-14-2020, 08:16 PM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy one just for the name :-)
The following users liked this post:
Falcon_az (10-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:43 PM
FBW

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterP
I'd buy one just for the name :-)
I would also buy on if he makes it in GP.....
Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 AM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice model. Seems to be the successor of the "Fantasista".
I hope that BJ-Craft will also include this model in their program again.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:56 PM
ted32776

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just looked at recent updates to the Morris website on the Interceptor. More detailed pix reveal more about the under fuz design and "stub wings". This might be a must have, with the quality of his kits and design success, it's very compelling. Not sure what shipping to US would be but the price FOB Japan is not as high as I would have expected given the extensive use of carbon fiber components in the kit. Prices are comparable to some FlightHobby kits and their new Top Stage may not be available in kit form for quite some time.

Last edited by ted32776; 07-23-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:48 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Ted,
Any photos or additional information about the Flight Hobby Top Stage? Thanks!
-Will
Old 07-25-2020, 01:59 PM
ted32776

Yep, Flywilly.. https://flighthobb.exblog.jp/i0/ as mentioned, currently only available from them in fully built form $$$$ but I see he occasionally does this to get some advance units out there while he's finalizing the instructions and kit layout. I've been told by a local that it's a very good design and is an "honest flyer" which I interpret to mean no bad habits and predictable in all flight aspects........like his other designs.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:03 AM
flywilly

Thanks Ted.
The first dorsal fin extension I've seen on a Japanese design was Naruke's Advantage. Not surprising to see more as it adds tail area without increasing fuselage volume and the Japanese designers do not seem inclined to pursue designs with massive fuselage volume (Vortex, Cuantic, etc.). They do seem to be following CPLR's Oreka planform with highly swept horizontal surfaces and elliptical leading edges. I wonder what Naruke's newest design will look like.
I have followed Naruke's blog for quite a while so it doesn't surprise me that Flight Hobby (Yutani?) has one as well. I enjoyed browsing it and found an interesting photo taken at the flying field that Naruke frequents showing the Super Stage EX in the foreground and Naruke's Accuracy in the background. I love the Japanese kits since my first MK kit back in the '80s. The Flight Hobby kits are very nice but I have do perform a little modification on the recent designs which are for e-power and I only fly glow. The Top Stage is clearly an evolution of the 'Stage' series of designs and will be a nice model if it gets kitted as would the Interceptor.
Old 07-26-2020, 04:38 PM
FBW

Originally Posted by flywilly
Thanks Ted.
The first dorsal fin extension I've seen on a Japanese design was Naruke's Advantage. Not surprising to see more as it adds tail area without increasing fuselage volume and the Japanese designers do not seem inclined to pursue designs with massive fuselage volume (Vortex, Cuantic, etc.). They do seem to be following CPLR's Oreka planform with highly swept horizontal surfaces and elliptical leading edges. I wonder what Naruke's newest design will look like.
I have followed Naruke's blog for quite a while so it doesn't surprise me that Flight Hobby (Yutani?) has one as well. I enjoyed browsing it and found an interesting photo taken at the flying field that Naruke frequents showing the Super Stage EX in the foreground and Naruke's Accuracy in the background. I love the Japanese kits since my first MK kit back in the '80s. The Flight Hobby kits are very nice but I have do perform a little modification on the recent designs which are for e-power and I only fly glow. The Top Stage is clearly an evolution of the 'Stage' series of designs and will be a nice model if it gets kitted as would the Interceptor.
Its a pity that the Japanese designers don't cater for the IC market..........bad business in my view.
I am pretty sure more people will be attracted to the sport if they did.

Old 07-27-2020, 04:02 AM
J-P
My Feedback: (1)

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I confirm
This picture is from 2014

Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 AM
ted32776

Since coming back into the hobby after twenty years of zip, it's been a long time since I flew 4strokes in competition. Upon returning, I naturally went electric because they didn't exist back in the day and it just seemed great to avoid all that fuel and hardware for nitro. Still, loved the way the YS ran, even used a lot of his 2strokes as well, great products. I've looked closely at the Naruke fuelie installations and it looks like the biggest pain in converting an electric to fuel is the lack of lower cowl hatch and provision for exhaust pipe. Maybe FlightHobby has a "mini conversion kit" available. I could inquire with a friend to see if they've done it and can offer any assistance.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:17 PM
FBW

Originally Posted by ted32776
Since coming back into the hobby after twenty years of zip, it's been a long time since I flew 4strokes in competition. Upon returning, I naturally went electric because they didn't exist back in the day and it just seemed great to avoid all that fuel and hardware for nitro. Still, loved the way the YS ran, even used a lot of his 2strokes as well, great products. I've looked closely at the Naruke fuelie installations and it looks like the biggest pain in converting an electric to fuel is the lack of lower cowl hatch and provision for exhaust pipe. Maybe FlightHobby has a "mini conversion kit" available. I could inquire with a friend to see if they've done it and can offer any assistance.
That would be great ....thanks
Old 07-28-2020, 07:18 AM
ted32776

I just got a reply from Japan. My friend is a very accomplished builder [even doing some builds for top pilots] and he replies.....too many areas of a FlightHobby kit would need to be revised for 4stroke. He notes that even the wing structure would probably fail without significant internal redesign. Nobody does such conversions for these reasons plus today's interest in pattern 4strokes is very limited in Japan.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:00 PM
FBW

Thumbs up

i just got a reply from japan. My friend is a very accomplished builder [even doing some builds for top pilots] and he replies.....too many areas of a flighthobby kit would need to be revised for 4stroke. He notes that even the wing structure would probably fail without significant internal redesign. Nobody does such conversions for these reasons plus today's interest in pattern 4strokes is very limited in japan.
oic
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 PM
flywilly

Both the Interceptor and the Top Stage are now appearing as available kits at Morris Hobby.
https://www.translatetheweb.com/?fro...e.jp%2f46.html
Old 08-04-2020, 09:28 AM
ted32776

Yes, saw that. Now, which one? Even with the big price difference, it's still a tough decision. Probably a waiting line for either. It'll be interesting to eventually hear if there's a fraction of a difference in the characteristics of either one, so similar and both from accomplished designers. Anyone out there able to make a convincing case either direction?
Old 08-04-2020, 02:19 PM
ltc

Yes, saw that. Now, which one? Even with the big price difference, it's still a tough decision. Probably a waiting line for either. It'll be interesting to eventually hear if there's a fraction of a difference in the characteristics of either one, so similar and both from accomplished designers. Anyone out there able to make a convincing case either direction?
IIRC, the last Akiba monoplane was the 2m Fantasista SP and flew very well from all reports...actually all the various sizes of Fantasista (70 and 120) fly nicely.
If the Interceptor is based on the Fantasista, I would expect it to fly as well if not better.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:07 PM
ted32776

For sure, his designs are very good. I suppose as for the "cool factor", the Interseptor has got more going for it with it's overall design. I'm gonna let the shipping quote decide. I have a feeling in today's environment, shipping is going to be a killer for either kit....might kill the budget
Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM
flywilly

Hi Ted,
The shipping should not be more than $100 or so. The kit box size is smaller (not by much) than the USPS maximum size limit; so it can be shipped via first class mail (or priority). All my kits from Japan have been delivered by the USPS.
I think either design will fly very well and the kits will be a pleasure to build. I know it is a lot of $$$, but with e-power the model should last for years under normal operating conditions.
Good Luck!!
Old 08-06-2020, 04:20 AM
ltc

I wonder if BJCraft will offer this plane as an ARF, like the Fantasista models.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM
ted32776

I sent the message to Morris yesterday so we'll see how they reply. Don't know the actual box dimensions but hopefully that carbon belly pan is not too long and shipping remains reasonable. I'm also awaiting any flight reports I can gather from my friend there, not expecting anything out of the ordinary, just a tidbit here and there would be good.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:43 PM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if BJCraft will offer this plane as an ARF, like the Fantasista models.
I hope so.
The Fantasista is my absolute favourite model.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:55 PM
FBW

Originally Posted by J-P
I confirm
This picture is from 2014

J-P

I don't think the ADVANTAGE is that old !!!!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:34 AM
J-P
My Feedback: (1)

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

You are right, Advantage Mono is from 2019
The first dorsal fin extension was in 2015 on the Ascent Bipe ( picture from NARUKE blog)
JP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.