jraycut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default question on batteries

i know this is probably not the right place for the question - but since it deals w our pattern ships, I'm hoping i will get the quickest answer here;

I have to come to the conclusion that my batteries balancer plug is wired incorrectly. The red and black wires do not align with the balancing board that connects to the charger. So my question is this; is it a simple matter of switching the two wires around - so that positive wires line up w positive and neg to neg?
Or
Do i also need to be concerned with the wires in between the pos and neg ones?

The balancer wires coming off the charger are all different colors - but 9 out of 10 times the wires on the batteries are either all white or black - does it matter if they are in correct alignment?

In the second pic below; the batteries balancer plug is on the left plugged into the balancer board coming from the charger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	816.6 KB
ID:	2229423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	545.9 KB
ID:	2229424  
Old 08-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ummm.... You're using the wrong lead on the balance board...

The left (looking from above, (leads out the top) the one on the left side is for 1 to 5 cell batteries. When you have a six cell, you plug that lead into the #1 port on the charger and the second lead which you have connected now, goes into the #2 port on the charger for charging six cell packs. There should be a white paper warning tag on the board's second lead indicating it's for six cell batteries.

I and a number of friends use those F3A packs with CellPro 10XP chargers and they work fine. Do not mess with changing the leads in the pin housings.....
Old 08-25-2017, 03:49 PM
jraycut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks Zeeb - but there is no way i have this plugged into the wrong place - as there is only one place the battery can be plugged in to.

please confirm for me that your balancer plug coming off your batteries look like mine below; with the two tabs sticking up on the plug - in relation to the pos and neg wire - looking down on the plug w the two alignmnet tabs sticking up - my black wire is on the RIGHT and the red on the LEFT.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2576.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2229428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2577.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	2229429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2578.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2229430  
Old 08-25-2017, 03:52 PM
jraycut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

pic of the battery
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2579.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	2229433  
Old 08-25-2017, 03:59 PM
ltc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can't see exactly in the picture, but it looks like you're plugging a battery with an XH balance plug into a balance board designed for PolyQuest / ThunderPower balance connector batteries.

Can you verify your batteries are XH?
Do you have a GP/XH balance board for your charger?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:11 PM
ltc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

please refer to this diagram ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5556.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2229435  
Old 08-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
thanks Zeeb - but there is no way i have this plugged into the wrong place - as there is only one place the battery can be plugged in to.

please confirm for me that your balancer plug coming off your batteries look like mine below; with the two tabs sticking up on the plug - in relation to the pos and neg wire - looking down on the plug w the two alignmnet tabs sticking up - my black wire is on the RIGHT and the red on the LEFT.
Man, you 'gotta be dumber than a box of rocks and come off at me with an attitude like that? Do you want any help or don't you? Maybe I should just let you start a fire... no that won't work, the CellPro will prevent you from hooking it up wrong but any other charger would have fried things.

Yes you DO have stuff hooked up wrong. I said the leads off the balance boards and how they were plugged into the charger, NOT the battery into the balance board. ALSO, you MUST plug the balance lead coming off the negative side of the battery, into the ch1 port on the charger. You've got that backwards as well.

Here's a pic of how it's supposed to be hooked up on the balance boards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0593.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2229446  
Old 08-25-2017, 06:17 PM
kdunlap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, one other thing about your setup that bothers me. If you are charging 2 5S packs using two balance channels you should be using 2 sets of discharge wires as well. See page 14 of the owners manual. If you are charging the pack as 10S like you are, I think that you need to use the SPA - Single-Port Safe Parallel Adapter for XH Compatible Battery Packs to daisy chain the balance boards. As you have it setup, your voltage readings across the ch 1 and ch 2 will not establish the proper voltage cutoff for balancing. Like I said in the other thread, don't attempt to charge in this configuration.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:56 AM
nonstoprc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
i know this is probably not the right place for the question - but since it deals w our pattern ships, I'm hoping i will get the quickest answer here;

I have to come to the conclusion that my batteries balancer plug is wired incorrectly. The red and black wires do not align with the balancing board that connects to the charger. So my question is this; is it a simple matter of switching the two wires around - so that positive wires line up w positive and neg to neg?
Or
Do i also need to be concerned with the wires in between the pos and neg ones?

The balancer wires coming off the charger are all different colors - but 9 out of 10 times the wires on the batteries are either all white or black - does it matter if they are in correct alignment?

In the second pic below; the batteries balancer plug is on the left plugged into the balancer board coming from the charger.
jraycut,

I have been charging my 10s packs the same way as you do. No problem. Do not feel you need to worry about the alignment of pos and neg wires. As long as you can read the voltage of each cell from the charger, the connection is OK.

Zeeb,

I would think to achieve 5A or more charging current, you would need to connect two discharging wires from the 10s pack to the charger.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstoprc View Post
jraycut,

I have been charging my 10s packs the same way as you do. No problem. Do not feel you need to worry about the alignment of pos and neg wires. As long as you can read the voltage of each cell from the charger, the connection is OK.

Zeeb,

I would think to achieve 5A or more charging current, you would need to connect two discharging wires from the 10s pack to the charger.
I did not connect the discharge wires from the battery so a clear view of the balance boards, which leads off the balance boards should be used and where each should plug into the charger, could be seen as that is his major issue. I guess it might have been better to hook up those leads, but I did try to tell the gentleman that the balance board coming from the pack with the negative discharge lead, has to go in the CH1 port of the charger

Yes, the discharge leads need to be connected for charging batteries and I typically use the 5A charge rate on my F3A model batteries. In fact, the 10XP will not charge anything without hooking up the discharge and balance leads. The older 10S would do a node only charge through the balance leads alone, but the current was limited to 4 amps so as to not melt the connectors.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:58 PM
nonstoprc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Zeeb,

We are on the same page on the charging method. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Anthony-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:

Looking at your first picture of the balance board there are two leads coming off of it.The right lead shows a label that says something like for 6S only. The left lead that is neatly coiled and zip tied is required for all charging 1s to 5s. For 6s packs both must be plugged into the charger.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:42 PM
krzy4rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The manual shows plugging each battery independently (you have them in series, like in the plane).

The run the 1-5s connector from the board to the respective channels.
The other way is to use a balance board and connect the main leads to the changer on both ends, then you just plug in 1-5s balance lead in channel 1.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:34 PM
Zeeb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[QUOTE=krzy4rc;12363970]The manual shows plugging each battery independently (you have them in series, like in the plane).

EXACTLY!

Don't you guys actually READ any of these posts or just assume you've got the answer without even looking? The two 5 cell packs are in series, they are used that way and charged that way as 10 cell packs which the CellPro charger can do and makes it VERY popular among the Pattern crowd. There is only ONE positive lead and ONE negative lead coming off the pack. The balance leads from the board are plugged into CH1 for the negative side pack lead while the balance board leads (again using a 1-5 connection) from the second pack with the positive lead plug into CH2 of the charger. Presto! 10 cell pack being charged.

I can't stand this any longer, I won't bother you guys again. I was just trying to help a guy with some serious issues about charging batteries and as I mentioned, if he had not had CellPro chargers which will prevent you from hooking stuff up wrong, any other charger and he'd of had some nasty melted wires, burned fingers and maybe even a fire.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:01 PM
kdunlap

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Zeeb, not to argue, but I get that this is being charged as a 10S pack (2 5S in series) But, if you read the instruction book, when you charge two 5s packs as a 10s pack, you need to daisy chain the balance adapters. That's how I used to do this and do this with the CellPros. Not me saying this, Revo is saying this. I'm a by the book guy and it works for me. Not saying you are wrong, but there is an official way to skin the cat. Note, that the 10S instructions in the manual are for a true 10S pack with the split balance connector. This is not what the OP is doing... I'm done here.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:10 AM
SAB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kdunlap, I've used the Cellpro 10S for many years charging 10S packs (2x5S in series) and I wire them exactly as Zeeb says,
Don't know what you mean by daisy chaining the balance adapters and cant see it in the manual either - do you mean Battery balance lead to adapter board to charger ?
This is what I do:
Neg side of 10S pack balance lead plugs into an appropriate adapter board & that plugs into Ch1, Positive side of 10S pack balance lead plugs into another adapter board that plugs into Ch2 - power leads plug into the outer -ve & +ve sockets.
I know the OP uses a 10XP not a 10S but I believe in this case they are essentially the same.

Steve
Old 08-30-2017, 05:03 AM
krzy4rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Zeeb, your tone is insulting. I have and know the 10S and 10XP charger. I was just stating this was not an official way to do this and not the way I do my charging.

I went through the posts, nowhere did I see anyone address that the batteries were in series.

Take a breath, brother. Its a hobby....
Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 AM
OhD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzy4rc View Post
Zeeb, your tone is insulting. I have and know the 10S and 10XP charger. I was just stating this was not an official way to do this and not the way I do my charging.

I went through the posts, nowhere did I see anyone address that the batteries were in series.

Take a breath, brother. Its a hobby....
I've been charging 10s packs (2x5s in series) on both 10S and 10XP chargers since these chargers hit the market. I have always connected the balance connectors as shown in the photo by Zeeb. I don't use the boards but use adapter cables to go from one 5s ( the low end) to Ch 1 and another from the other 5s (the high end) to channel 2. It is logical and it works. As far as I am concerned this is the official way to charge 10s packs.

Jim O
Old 08-30-2017, 08:59 AM
krzy4rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have no issue with that. Always eager to learn new angles....but the tone was uncalled for...
Old 08-30-2017, 10:23 AM
nonstoprc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhD View Post
I've been charging 10s packs (2x5s in series) on both 10S and 10XP chargers since these chargers hit the market. I have always connected the balance connectors as shown in the photo by Zeeb. I don't use the boards but use adapter cables to go from one 5s ( the low end) to Ch 1 and another from the other 5s (the high end) to channel 2. It is logical and it works. As far as I am concerned this is the official way to charge 10s packs.

Jim O
Jim,

Same as you, although I still keep some of this adaptor boards around and use them a), when the adaptor cables are broken (happened during a contest), and b), when charging some old TP packs that use non-standard balance connectors.

Search this Thread