Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

2017 Argentina F3A World Championship

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 PM
FinnSpeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone is curious, I was there as a caller for Lassi Nurila. I also monitored the wind sensor readings quite often and mostly the reading varied between 7 m/s and 11 m/s. It was just a little lower early in the morning and in a TM meeting it was decided that the first round will be flown. Since the wind did not get significantly worse during the day and landing diagonally to the asphalt pad at the end of the runway proved safe enough, there was no need to stop flying. The FAI Sporting Code limit is over 12 m/s sustained wind for a period of one minute which never happened. Gusts did exceed 14 m/s though but up in the air the wind was steady enough. It was a challenge to all the pilots of course but everyone did a great job and no airplanes were damaged in the process. It was the only correct decision to fly all rounds. I believe most of the pilots also share this opinion even though some of them were a bit skeptical in the morning. Some forecasts did show higher winds during the day but that did not happen, fortunately.

Risto
Old 11-16-2017, 03:44 AM
bandicootf16

It's interesting that in the final 10 group photo that Lassi is holding Onda's Sky Leaf Leader and not his Senation.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 AM
FinnSpeed

Yes, that is correct. Lassi had already disassembled his Sensation when people started to collect pilots for a group photo. It would have taken too much time to completely assemble the plane since even the elevators had to be taken off to fit the plane in the car.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Rudix

Originally Posted by FinnSpeed
Yes, that is correct. Lassi had already disassembled his Sensation when people started to collect pilots for a group photo. It would have taken too much time to completely assemble the plane since even the elevators had to be taken off to fit the plane in the car.
Aha, thanks for the info, that photo had me a bit confused.....

Rudi
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM
n233w

I think there is a lot to learn from watching videos of the worlds finals flights - love those linked above. Are there any others? Shulman? Jesky? Gernot? I couldn't find any... If you know of any, please post! Thanks, bp