Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

10XP Charger - last time buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 02:35 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 10XP Charger - last time buy

It looks as though Revolectrix is discontinuing the 10XP Charger and is offering a last chance buy for $125 each; received an email from them today...

Cellpro 10XP

Curious if they will design a new “10s” capable charger to take its place or if they think there just isn’t a market for a series 2x5s Charger ...
Old 08-11-2018, 08:43 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Up to 10 cell LiPo chargers are somewhat scarce.
But even if Revoelectrix will not release any new 10 cell Lipo charger again You still have for example the since many years proven
iCharger 4010Duo that can do it, also iCharger 1010B+ can charge up to 10 cell LiPo.
/Bo
Old 08-11-2018, 11:10 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah I've got a few CellPro chargers, 4S, 10S, 10XP and no parallel models.
I've also got a 4010 that I'm scared of.... lol

The issue for me about the 4010 vs the CellPro 10's, is that you cannot hook the CellPros up incorrectly when trying to do 10S (usually a pair of 5S's for my Pattern ships). The CellPro will merely inform you of an issue regarding the cell count. You do it wrong with the 4010 and you let the magic smoke out of things....
Old 08-12-2018, 04:25 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

I have two CellPro 10XP chargers and I love them! Being able to parallel charge on each charger using their MPA board is simple and effective. I can charge 6 5s 4600mAh packs/charger in about an hour and a half.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:08 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Love my 10XP's too. Rock solid for 5 years and fool proof- they don't do anything when I hook them up wrong. Hate to see them discontinued. Maybe Revolectrix is replacing them with 12xp's in anticipation of a rules change allowing 12s? Yes, optimistic thinking.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Zeeb

I don't think so, almost everyone these days is doing the Parallel charging thing and do not care about being able to do a series charge. So, IMHO, FMA/Revolectrix has just decided on parallel charging units only and last I heard, the International boys are dead set against 12S in F3A. I think they're scared of having their precious YS birds beaten on a regular basis.... lol
Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

E-power will win the WC eventually. I hope Jason or Andrew, but I'm sure Brett, Onda and CPLR will have something to say about it... :-)
I will be sad when pattern becomes an all electric event.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 AM
vbortone
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
I don't think so, almost everyone these days is doing the Parallel charging thing and do not care about being able to do a series charge. So, IMHO, FMA/Revolectrix has just decided on parallel charging units only and last I heard, the International boys are dead set against 12S in F3A. I think they're scared of having their precious YS birds beaten on a regular basis.... lol
Thunder Power voids warranty if we charge in parallel. Well that was last time I read the instructions. That was long ago. I don't know if they allow now parallel charging. I think there are very good reasons why is not recommended for LiPos
Old 08-14-2018, 01:33 PM
ltc

Originally Posted by vbortone
Thunder Power voids warranty if we charge in parallel. Well that was last time I read the instructions. That was long ago. I don't know if they allow now parallel charging. I think there are very good reasons why is not recommended for LiPos
Warranty

“Batteries that are charged in parallel are not covered under warranty.”

Curious how they can determine if a battery was charged in parallel ...

I’m also curious why parallel charging is unsafe... I’m having a hard time seeing that

Last edited by ltc; 08-14-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 PM
vbortone

I think it is unsafe since is impossible for the charger to know the cell voltage. Therefore, balancing and safe functions are done by averaging. If one cell is too high and another is too low the high one could catch fire. Probably, the chances are small but I don't think I want to take the risk.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:37 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by vbortone
I think it is unsafe since is impossible for the charger to know the cell voltage. Therefore, balancing and safe functions are done by averaging. If one cell is too high and another is too low the high one could catch fire. Probably, the chances are small but I don't think I want to take the risk.
Perhaps, but parallel charging (or even serial charging) assumes that you have first verified that each cell is within normal range before starting the charge; if you have an abnormal cell voltage, then caution is required.
In addition, there should be current limiting provided between the cells of the parallel packs, so in the event that a cell does "wander off the reservation", there is a current limit/protection in place to prevent the other parallel cells from sending too much current into the weaker cell. I believe the Revolectrix MPA provides such protection via surface mount self resetting fuses with visual indicators to indicate if there is such a problem?
Revolectrix
In addition, the lead connection sequence should be followed when connecting to charge and then disconnecting when charge is complete: discharge leads first, balance leads ... then disconnect balance leads and finally disconnect discharge leads (FWIW, the first discharge lead I connect is the black and the last discharge lead is disconnect is the black as well ... charging lithium batteries is perfect for those with OCD ... )
So, I still fail to see why parallel charging, when configured correctly, is inherently unsafe. In all honesty, charging a 1s lithium battery is inherently unsafe, its just the nature of the chemistry.
I must be missing something, but parallel charging just seems to get a really bad rap on almost every RC forum and I've never understood why.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason I no longer parallel charge is I have had several batteries over the years where a single balance tap wire has come adrift within the battery (so not obvious) or there's a balance connector issue. When series charging that is seen immediately as a cell mismatch however, as Vince has said during parallel charging this could be masked due to the cell averaging. I do now strain relief the balance tap wires and have not had a failure since. Also I monitor the individual cell IR's every time I charge, again with parallel charging you can't get this, just an average IR of all cells in parallel.

Steve
Old 08-15-2018, 02:27 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love a 2nd 10XP, but the product link says no longer available.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:21 AM
vbortone

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps, but parallel charging (or even serial charging) assumes that you have first verified that each cell is within normal range before starting the charge; if you have an abnormal cell voltage, then caution is required.
In addition, there should be current limiting provided between the cells of the parallel packs, so in the event that a cell does "wander off the reservation", there is a current limit/protection in place to prevent the other parallel cells from sending too much current into the weaker cell. I believe the Revolectrix MPA provides such protection via surface mount self resetting fuses with visual indicators to indicate if there is such a problem?
Revolectrix
In addition, the lead connection sequence should be followed when connecting to charge and then disconnecting when charge is complete: discharge leads first, balance leads ... then disconnect balance leads and finally disconnect discharge leads (FWIW, the first discharge lead I connect is the black and the last discharge lead is disconnect is the black as well ... charging lithium batteries is perfect for those with OCD ... )
So, I still fail to see why parallel charging, when configured correctly, is inherently unsafe. In all honesty, charging a 1s lithium battery is inherently unsafe, its just the nature of the chemistry.
I must be missing something, but parallel charging just seems to get a really bad rap on almost every RC forum and I've never understood why.
If Thunder Power takes that statement out of their instructions I be willing to charge in parallel. As far as I know, TP is the LiPo RC provider that has been longer in business than any other battery manufacturer. I wonder if they are reading this. It will be great to hear their opinion.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:06 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
Check with some dealers, like Mike at F3AUnlimited or ProgressiveRC

They were available before the announcement, but I’m sure that has or will change.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
If Progressive doesn't have a new one, they show up over on RCGroups occasionally. I bought two of them which look like new with adapter boards for $80 each.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 AM
ltc

Amain hobbies has them in stock with a $15 coupon code
https://www.amainhobbies.com/revolec...BoCn5kQAvD_BwE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revolectrix-Cellpro-10XP-Lithium-Charger-Combo-w-XH-EH-Adapter-10S-10A-250W/401106440523?hash=item5d63ce914b%3Ag%3ASvkAAOSw-kdX1Pw~&_sacat=0&_nkw=cellpro+10xp&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

https://www.hobbytown.com/cellpro-10...xoCixcQAvD_BwE

Mike at F3A is showing them in stock
https://www.f3aunlimited.com/cellpro...tt-10s-charger

Progressive is sold out
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 AM
ltc

They are still showing stock for $119 plus shipping in the Revolectrix Singapore store

Cellpro 10XP
Old 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went ahead and bought a Powerlab 6 instead..