My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HELP: Trying to convert Typhoon 2+2 to Electric

Hello:
Help please.

I was thing of converting my Typhoon 2+2 pattern plane to an Electric setup.
What would be equal to a YS 140 4cyc motor in an Electric setup.
I am running a 15 X 5.5 ASP prop on a YS 120 motor now.
I was thing I will need a 160 HV ESC and a 12 cell lipo set up But I am not sure what electric
motor is equal to a YS 140. I am thing an in-runner motor so I can clamp it on the existing motor mount.
Thanks
Wayne
Old 10-15-2019, 03:40 PM
snaproll4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Wayne, I had a Typhoon 2+2. You will need to be extremely weight conscious. After you take out the YS and the header and the muffler and the flooring and the throttle servo and the fuel tank and change your 1200 mah battery with a 480mah LiPo receiver pack, you will still be adding more weight than you just removed. You could use an 80 HV ESC, a Falcon V2 prop, a small spinner, small wheels and lightweight axles. Take out the motor mount and mount the electric motor on a carbon firewall. If you are not worried about the legal weight limit, you might be OK.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 AM
wayne-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi: Snaproll4
I will have to take a closer look at this change and see if it is worth it.
I like the looks and the way pattern planes fly but I not much on the mess of the fuel motors.

Thank You for your help.

wayne
Old 10-16-2019, 01:20 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Wayne,
I am not an electric guy, but the conversion should work. Getting air cooling for the battery and ESC will probably require some modifications. Any of the current electric motors used in pattern today will provide all the power you want. One other consideration is ground clearance. The 2+2 was design for retracts and probably has enough clearance for maybe an 18" diameter prop (at most depending on wether you fly from grass or pavement).
I would recommend contacting Mike Mueller at F3A Unlimited. He has flown pattern for decades (glow to electric) and probably can make some suggestions for equipment, etc.
Good Luck! The 2+2 was a very nice flying model.
-Will
Old 10-16-2019, 07:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The key here is to get a motor in the 230-240KV range so that on 10 cells a 18x12 or 19X10 can be used. If a smaller prop is required you can either up the KV or the cell count. The Dualsky 6355DA motor series come in a few KV options that should cover just about any combination required to do the conversion.

Xmotor DA series version 4, XM6355DA
Old 10-17-2019, 12:30 AM
SAB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wayne, just a word of caution, if you plan to do any competition flying the max LiPo size is 10S (42V), if not then you are free to up the cell count to say 12S as you originally suggested, as already mentioned this will probably help any ground clearance issues you may have.

Steve
Old 10-17-2019, 04:00 AM
wayne-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi: Everyone
I am swinging a 15 X 5.5 prop on my YS 120 right now but I was thing to use an Electric motor equal to a YS 140 or a little more power. I think I can get away with a 16 inch two blade or a 16 inch three blade prop with my landing gear.
I will stay with a 12 cell set up and a HV 160 ESC. I am not worried about over weight as long as it will not affect the flight of the Typhoon to bad. I don't fly competition anyway.
I need to start with finding a 12 cell electric motor for a prop around 15 to 17 size and how to mount it.
At one time I thought I saw a clamp style mount that bolted the electric motor to the YS motor mount. I don't have to go that rout (just being lazy).
I have some 50cc out-runner electric motors around the house but I was not sure if they will work. I think a 16 inch three or four blade size prop will be to small and over heat the ESC and motor.

Thank you Everyone for all your input.
The more, The better.

wayne
Old 10-18-2019, 02:52 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wayne, you are not going to find an electric motor that will clamp onto the same mount as the YS. 15" prop is not going to be possible with available motors, there just aren't any in the correct KV rating. If you go to RC groups there is an appropriate motor and ESC for sale in the sailplane classifieds. That will require at least an 18" prop. My suggestion if you go with an electric conversion is to ditch the retracts and go with fixed gear.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...your-BIG-plane

Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree with speed, ditch the retracts. Also, you can get parts (cowl, canopy, entire kit) from Don Carlson at: rcaiir@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2019, 04:16 PM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Red face

Originally Posted by flywilly View Post
I agree with speed, ditch the retracts. Also, you can get parts (cowl, canopy, entire kit) from Don Carlson at: rcaiir@gmail.com
Ditch the retracts?... Makes no sense at all. If you're going to do that you may as well just save the headaches and get a modern fixed gear pattern design.
There's something about the pattern designs of that era. Unfortunately there's probably people weighing in on this that have never witnessed an aircraft like that fly the pattern with the gear up. I've flown the newer electric pattern stuff....really great flying planes......Guess it's just my personal opinion but I much prefer the appearance with the gear up.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:40 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by FSFLYER View Post
Ditch the retracts?... Makes no sense at all. If you're going to do that you may as well just save the headaches and get a modern fixed gear pattern design.
There's something about the pattern designs of that era. Unfortunately there's probably people weighing in on this that have never witnessed an aircraft like that fly the pattern with the gear up. I've flown the newer electric pattern stuff....really great flying planes......Guess it's just my personal opinion but I much prefer the appearance with the gear up.
I too love the look of a pattern plane with gear up.

The problem with retracts on a mid wing mono, is because of the length, they are too wobbly and bend easy. These days with bipes, retracts are a good option as they don't need to be overly long.

I'm seriously considering going retracts on my own design that's in the works.