Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Interceptor - new plane from Akiba

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 07:16 AM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so here we have another swept back wing design model....
Old 08-16-2020, 04:24 PM
FBW

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A quick question for all the expert traditional model aircraft builders out there.

This Covid -19 is forcing me and I am sure a lot of other people into an early retirement and since I have a lot more time to myself I thought about building one of those gorgeous Japanese kits.

I do like the Interceptor but it doesn't come in GP so I am thinking of converting it..........I am wondering if this is possible and I would welcome any feedback from traditional builders out there..I understand that the electric versions are not as beefed up as the GP . I don't see this as an issue since the extra strengthening can be achieved during the construction.......

What do people think ??
Old 08-17-2020, 08:59 AM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Beefing up for IC is doable and not too difficult. IC is lighter as it is weighed tank empty. So, 5 kg / 11 lbs is simple to achieve.
Something to concern is fuse design. Electrics benefit from open top right from spinner. This helps battery installation.
Because of that normally underside of fuse is totally closed to bring some rigidity.
For IC some redesign is required: a decent belly pan for engine access and strengthened top at least.
With some building experience all this is feasible.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:20 PM
ted32776

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just got my reply from Morris Hobby [still awaiting RCJapan reply]. Actually, my first inquiry went unanswered and I assumed they were on break but a friend in Japan established a proper connection with an individual and the reply came within hours. I asked about both the Interceptor and TopStage kits. Interceptor is in production now and TopStage begins in September. Both are built to order [three weeks for the Interceptor and two for the TopStage]. Shipping is about 400.00 USD per kit and takes another week approximately.

Last edited by ted32776; 08-18-2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Revision
Old 08-18-2020, 06:37 PM
FBW

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ted32776
Just got my reply from Morris Hobby [still awaiting RCJapan reply]. Actually, my first inquiry went unanswered and I assumed they were on break but a friend in Japan established a proper connection with an individual and the reply came within hours. I asked about both the Interceptor and TopStage kits. Interceptor is in production now and TopStage begins in September. Both are built to order [three weeks for the Interceptor and two for the TopStage]. Shipping is about 400.00 USD per kit and takes another week approximately.
US$ 400 Seems a lot to ship a kit from Japan.....
Old 08-19-2020, 08:51 AM
ted32776

Yep! I thought so but what do I know nowadays. RCJapan just replied and they are working on a quote so we'll see how it compares. Certainly the price of the Interceptor plus shipping stateside would make someone consider an ARF but I have no idea what it'll cost when available [makes the current sale price of the Fantasista at about 2400.00 look like a real bargain]. My friend over there says the TopStage is hard to beat in terms of cost, quality and performance. He's already built five or six FlightHobby pattern ships and has a TopStage kit coming next month. I believe the Neo Bipe he just finished a few months ago came in at just over 4500g and flies perfectly to suit him so he's committed to the line. His influence and guidance will probably steer me to the TopStage.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:50 AM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Top Stage is just gorgeous!
I've seen Neo Stages' both mono and bipes. Top quality fliers indeed.
Should be a pleasure to build one of those Naruke kits, except for surface finish.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:27 AM
ted32776

Agreed, but if the word "gorgeous" is going to be applied, I might suggest Lassi's Glacial bipe. That thing is truly a work of art. I'd love to get one but I'll probably have to "settle" for another kit.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Ted,
I have to ask if the shipping quote from Morris Hobby is actually for a kit. I bought a Flight Hobby Neo Stage kit about a year ago and paid about $100 for shipping (as I said in a previous post). I know a LOT has changed in the past year so I checked the USPS website to get an estimate for shipping the kit back to Japan: a little over $100. Today. The $400 shipping quote from Morris Hobby sounds like the price for an ARC or ARF version. That's why F3A Unlimited gets their ARFs shipped by boat in a container. Takes longer, but is much cheaper.
Good luck with your purchase!
-Will
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM
ted32776

I suppose there could be a misunderstanding but they were clear on which "kit's" I was asking for since that portion of each quote was correct. RCJapan has responded but said they would have to come back with details as they are not up to date with FlightHobby's newest kit. Perhaps their shipping charges will clear things up. It appears that Paypal at 2.5% seems to be more economical for currency exchange than CC or banks. There is no reason for either kit box to be oversize nor is special packing required so it may just come down to today's worldwide shipping situation. Either airframe is going to get pretty expensive by the time everything is factored in on top of eating 400.00 for shipping a wooden kit,. It makes similar designs from Pegase [Matti's Excess or the Akuma] start to look quite good. Even though they are both composite fuse models with pre-sheeted foam surfaces, the shipping was only 400.00 each [however, that was quoted in November so probably can't count on that anymore either ].

Last edited by ted32776; 08-21-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-07-2020, 04:42 AM
ted32776

I've just finally received confirmation of shipping charges for either Interceptor or TopStage kit from RCJapan. They're shipping charges will be $535.00 per kit via air [compared to 400.00 per kit with Morris Hobby]. I'm still awaiting surface costs and transit time.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM
ADGaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sell all of Mr Akiba's products.

I currently have a interceptor kit and matching contra drive in route. These kits are top of the line kits. I am offering the kit for sale as a kit, ARC,or ARF. His planes are not cheep, but you get what you pay for. Also right now the only way to ship them to the states is DHL and that's $600.00. please message me for price and avability.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:23 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ADGaero
I currently have a interceptor kit and matching contra drive in route. These kits are top of the line kits. I am offering the kit for sale as a kit, ARC,or ARF. His planes are not cheep, but you get what you pay for. Also right now the only way to ship them to the states is DHL and that's $600.00. please message me for price and avability.
What is the matching Contra drive unit? Is it the new version Akiba unit?
I thought the only option was kit; not ARC or ARF ...
Old 09-24-2020, 12:47 AM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Hello,
the way I see it the model is only offered by Morris-Hobby as a kit. But from "AKB airkraft" there are more versions for 310.000,- or 563.000,- JPK.
Unfortunately my japanese is so bad (not available) that I cannot say anything about the expansion stages.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:48 PM
ted32776

It looks like ADGaero is soon to get one kit and contra unit and he's offering to sell it as is or built up to the point of being covered or completely finished. His post would sound as though he is going to do the work himself should you choose one of the options he's offering. That's my read......
Old 10-03-2020, 08:28 AM
ted32776

Thought you guys might find this "evolution" photo of progressive FlightHobby pattern designs to be interesting. You'll see it's a fully assembled Neo Stage Bipe with a Top Stage wing below the fuz and the progression of stab designs from probably the past ten years.Click image for larger version

Name:	e0259877_11291503.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	2268303
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 AM
ADGaero

Default ADG carrying of the Akiba planes

I offer all of Mr Akibba air craft in a kit, ARC, and ARF. All of the ships are build by Akiba in Japan. The planes are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. All of them is the best quality out there. If you are interested please contact me at [email protected]. I currently have a kit and his contra unit of the interceptor. I have on order a RTF interceptor on order just bind and fly for futaba with his program for it. The usual lead time is 60 days on a ARC, and 90 on a ARF. And I have also ordered his new bipe the Accel. It will be in ARF format. Estimated time of delivery will be February 2021. Mr Akiba told me he is in talks with Hi Yang for the production of a composite interceptor. I have no idea of the details I am sure Mike at F3A unlimited will be able to tell you more sense he is a resellers of Yang's planes.

Thanks for all of your time.
ADG aero
Old 10-03-2020, 09:03 AM
ADGaero

Originally Posted by ltc
What is the matching Contra drive unit? Is it the new version Akiba unit?
He has a new unit. But when I say matching it is side mount .that is the way her prefers it. Also the ARC and ARF version I will have is built by Akiba. And are the price he quotes on his web site. Just remember that shipping is only by DHL at this moment and cost 600 to 800 usd according what plane you order. I am offering these as a service. With hopes that when you order one you would also purchase any other parts you may need from ADG aero.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:17 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by ADGaero
He has a new unit. But when I say matching it is side mount .that is the way her prefers it. Also the ARC and ARF version I will have is built by Akiba. And are the price he quotes on his web site. Just remember that shipping is only by DHL at this moment and cost 600 to 800 usd according what plane you order. I am offering these as a service. With hopes that when you order one you would also purchase any other parts you may need from ADG aero.
Are you saying that you are importing Akiba airplanes and Contras to the USA?
Old 10-04-2020, 05:00 AM
ted32776

ITC, I think you're correct. You can go to his website to see some pricing on various items. At first glance, prices seem good on MKS, for example. https://adgaero.com/
Old 10-04-2020, 09:31 AM
ltc

Thank you for the link
Hopefully this works out with Akiba and ADG
Ive always wanted one of those beautiful hand built Japanese 2m planes (I don稚 have the space nor skills for a kit) so an Akiba ARF would be ideal
I値l keep an eye out on his website
Old 10-04-2020, 10:18 AM
ted32776

Yes, the pro built models out of Japan are spectacular. I have a retired friend there who builds on the same level of finish/lightnes but I've been reluctant to beg him to build one for me. He specializes in FlightHobby models for himself but occasionally builds others for local hotshots [usually an ARF like the Futaba Leader].

Last edited by ted32776; 10-04-2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Repeated info.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:09 AM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Interceptor is now in the program at Hui Yang.
Hui Yang Interceptor
I would have preferred to see it at BJ Craft due to the lower price.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:39 PM
highfly3D

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder why these planes look similar to the CPLR airplane....