Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

AXI 5330/FAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 07:40 PM
hwt
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AXI 5330/FAI

I have a 14mhz futaba radio and it is operating pcm. I have tried the radio in an icepoint with a Kohler Actro 32-3 with a jeti 77 speed control with duralite 6450 mah 18.5 volt full bore and have had no range problems but the engine is not enough for my verticals. If I get it proper up enough for the verticals the engine will max out at 245 degrees F. and shut down... Harold...
Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Harold... hmmm this is interesting. I test flew my Genesis today with my AXI, Jeti 90, and 14mz. The range checked fine but in the air I would get a couple 'burps' from the motor each flight. The first time it happened I thought I bumped the throttle because my hands were shaking so bad... The next flight the motor definitely cut off. Not from heat, or anything like that, all components were just warm to the touch on landing I have my failsafe set to cut the motor, as I have always done with electrics. I don't have a choke on the the long lead to the ESC, never needed one in the past... but now i think I will get one anyway. I think my problem might be a bad ESC, although it always flew fine in the past. If I get a chance tomorrow I will try out my other one... if the same thing happens then I know it's a lock out problem.

These receivers have been known to have issues like that... do you have a short antennae on your G3 receiver? Or is it the longer 'standard' length?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:39 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Hmmmm. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

I know where you could both buy a Stylus.....
I'll even let you borrow one Tom.

Seriously though. If you are both flying on PCM and have your failsafe set to ?????
Then why would the throttle only glitch? Seems to me like it wouldn't be the reciever.
If you think it is the reciever, where are the antenna's vs regulator, esc, carbon tubes??

Tom, I emailed you my thoughts on yours. Just thoughts though, from a very mindless man at this point. lol
Old 03-01-2006, 03:11 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

nobody every accused you have having a mind my friend... on of your more endearing traits!

We'll see in a day or two what the issue was... i think it's the ESC at this point... I had some glitches with the 9Z as you remember, and after a visit to Radio South, they confirmed the probability of a faulty antenna mount and a few 'loose' wires. But with all those glitches, never did I hear the motor cut out (even with the failsafe set to 0%)... today it very definitely was cutting out. I have a couple ESCs not doing anything so I swapped one out... hopefully that's it. My range checks were all good, so that eliminates the Rx as far as I can tell.

That's why I'm wondering which Rx Harold is running, short or long antenna... Most reports I've read is that few had issues before the mod, but I haven't read any that had issues after the mod...
Old 03-01-2006, 03:49 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom,

From what you are describing you have noise entering the receiver via the ESC connection. Unfortunately even opto isolated receivers are not immune from this. Ben Werner of Mutimode Technologies makes a small filter unit which connects between the ESC and the receiver to stop this. As you will be using a separate receiver battery and don't need a BEC connection through the filter unit you can use the LC version which only weighs 2.2 grams.

You can contact them here and the ood bit is that if it doesn't cure the problem you can return the unit for full credit.

http://www.multimodetech.com/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1

I have no connection with them at all BTW

Regards

Malcolm
Old 03-01-2006, 03:51 AM
Malcolm H

Tom,

From what you are describing you have noise entering the receiver via the ESC connection. Unfortunately even opto isolated receivers are not immune from this. Ben Werner of Mutimode Technologies makes a small filter unit which connects between the ESC and the receiver to stop this. As you will be using a separate receiver battery and don't need a BEC connection through the filter unit you can use the LC version which only weighs 2.2 grams.

You can contact them here and the ood bit is that if it doesn't cure the problem you can return the unit for full credit.

http://www.multimodetech.com/index.p...tpage&Itemid=1

I have no connection with them at all BTW

Regards

Malcolm
Old 03-01-2006, 06:10 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Guys

I have an Extra 300L with a AXI outrunner on 6S2P and had simmilar interference problems until I cleaned my transmitter airial, not oiled or WD40'd but cleaned with a degreasing agent, I have also tried wrapping the reciever in cooking foil with mixed results, put in over and bake at 200deg?
The receiver airal is now in the wing running in a plastic tube at right angles to the closed loop (Zaga airial) wires, touch wood no more glitiches.

Hope this helps
Mike
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

Thanks for the input guys. I do have a Futaba extension with a choke on order... and you very well may be right that it's the source of the problem. The only thing that has me thinking it's the ESC is that it seems that the only channel that was affected was the throttle. The plane never 'seemed' to be locked out. Now I had the plane up trying to get it to do it again and try to put some other input in there to see if the plane was truly in lock out, and I couldn't repeat the problem. The receiver and trans are brand new and flight tested for 10 flights in a Banchee, no problems whatsoever... The ESC is an easy fix and if it is the problem it would explain a few other problems I had with the plane that it was in previously.

I ran this exact same set up, same motor,batts,esc everything in two airplanes and never had a problem like this... odd
Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Throttle can be a little weird as last summer at a contest we got caugh in a down pour I was able to save my freinds Electric plane first and my Smaragd got drenched no water got inside the plane but as it turned out my throttle went into failsafe the next 3 flights, I kept thinking it had died ( glow power) but it was just at idle. I could reset the trottle by moving the stick to idle then it would work again. Took 3 flights to figure that out but I didn't anymore after that we tried changing servos nothing fixed it, changed receivers and it was fixed. After talking to Radio South they said that the it was highly possible for the throttle to go on failsafe and nothing else even though it is channel 3, it seems to be the first to go, as it should be I consider it a a non credicial channel.
Dont' know if any of this can be related to your problems but could be.
Steve Maxwell
Old 03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
lazyboyflyer

I had a RF problem with mine and couldn't figure out the problem. I first replaced the receiver, same problem, then the ESC (Jeti 90 Plus), same problem, then finally the motor, the motor was the source of the problem. I have no Idea why the motor (Axi 5330/18) was the problem, but it was. The interference started gradually, then got worst, I could take off with no problem, but in the air would get hit when I throttled for uplines or any time I throttled up. Throttle down, no hits, I had no problem landing the plane either. I also tried inline chokes and inline RF filters, but that didn't work. If this sounds like your problem, send in your motor for free replacement. This solved my problem and hopefully will solve yours.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:16 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Well guys... I changed the ESC last night, rerouted some wiring away from the batteries and... same problem. Took it up and the power dropped out in a vertical to where it sounded like a real rich 4 stroke having the coals put to it... three quick cuts at about half throttle.

Took it home talked to some people considered thermal cut out (not likely ESC is almost cold), low voltage cut out (ESC programmed for 2.7V per cell and wattmeter showed during extensive run ups no significant drop in voltage)...

So I changed the receiver... pulled out the G3 receiver (with the shortened antenna done by the factory) and put in a well tested 1024 reciever... results? Two beautiful flights with my new favorite plane with no glitches!!!

Every flight previously had lock outs... two flights with-out-a-one!

Guess I'm calling Futaba in the morning.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:07 AM
BaldEagel

ExFokkerFlyer

Forgive me if you have already stated this but is the G3 a PPM receiver, cause I am worried for you, by changing to a PCM 1024 you may just be hidding the problem rather than curing it, you should be able to fly glitch free with PPM and then change to PCM for the extra comfort not to cure a problem. As I said sorry if you already have stated the obvious as I have here.

Mike
Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 AM
patternflyer1

The g3 is the latest 14 channel synthesized pcm reciever from Futaba. $340 bucks I beleive. It's for the 14 mz radio.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM
BaldEagel

;patternflyer1

So the latest receiver from Futaba had interference?

Mike
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ExFokkerFlyer

Well guys... I changed the ESC last night, rerouted some wiring away from the batteries and... same problem. Took it up and the power dropped out in a vertical to where it sounded like a real rich 4 stroke having the coals put to it... three quick cuts at about half throttle.

Took it home talked to some people considered thermal cut out (not likely ESC is almost cold), low voltage cut out (ESC programmed for 2.7V per cell and wattmeter showed during extensive run ups no significant drop in voltage)...

So I changed the receiver... pulled out the G3 receiver (with the shortened antenna done by the factory) and put in a well tested 1024 reciever... results? Two beautiful flights with my new favorite plane with no glitches!!!

Every flight previously had lock outs... two flights with-out-a-one!

Guess I'm calling Futaba in the morning.
Tom

The G3 has known sensitivity problems (that may be the wrong word..)....have you already shortened the antenna?

Anyways, there were some reports of guys having issues last year with electrics on the G3, I dont use one and the 149 for me has been bulletproof....although Adam (JR guy) had some issues with going into hold at the backside of rollers, antenna placement helped a bit. So this is with Hacker motors, controllers, Schulze controllers, Plett motors, Axi motors.....no one seems immune. I think the increased sensitivity with the G3 is the issue, as the R149DP seems to be very solid...and its a less sensitive Rx I believe.

I know that my ground test range with the power system disconnected, vs. connected is significantly reduced.

Maybe you have seen this, maybe not....might help someone out who hasn't so I will post the link anyways.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3488488/tm.htm
Old 03-02-2006, 01:20 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Thanks for the link Chad, and yeah I have seen it. I read just about everything I could on the subject before I bought it and I concluded that the fix had worked because I hadn't read of any problems after. My receiver came with the short antenna, and range checks were all good. I know it is a more sensitive unit, but this seems a bit funky.

I was never able to verify lock-outs with all channels. I'm not saying it was JUST the throttle only without a doubt, because it always happened quick enough that I couldn't wiggle something else to see what it would do. However, it didn't FEEL like anything else was affected... FWIW. Also I only had one or two "events" per flight at different orientations and airspeeds at different locations on the field. Just odd.

I called Futaba this morning and spoke with Bax. Told him of my difficulties and he said to send it in so they could take a look at it. So I'll do that and we'll see. For now the 319DPS will have to do, it's a great reciever anyway.

Thanks to all those who offered advice... I did look at everything, the receiver was just about the last resort! I actually asked a buddy at the field, "well if this doesn't work then what???"

Tom
Old 03-03-2006, 09:34 AM
BaldEagel

To all

Thanks for the head up on the 14Z I was going to buy one but as they are only available with a usless receiver I will stick with my ZAP for the time being. I only wanted the 14Z for the extra memory and the coulor pic of your aircraft when selected. I already have a 512 Campac which gives me 112 memories in the ZAP, but they get used up in the model configerations to the point that you can only have about 5 aircraft on a 10bank memory module. I have some of my aircraft memories in different banks and this makes it difficult to recall some of them anyone know how to move memories between banks without deleting them?

Mike
Old 03-06-2006, 04:30 PM
patternflyer1

Well, no numbers yet as I am in the battery break in stage. But I test flew the E clipse 2- 5 minute flights and all I can say is WOW. This motor has alot more power than I imagined. I am very very impressed. And I never went above 1/2 stick. Probably have numbers in a few weeks as the weather is rainy right now.
Ran the motor with a 21x13 as it was windy. I have seen the Hackers many times and I can say that from what I saw out of this Axi, it is very very comparable in power to the Hacker. Not taking anything away from the Hackers because they are good also. Just that I am suprised by the amount of power the Axi has.
Tom, lets get ready for Richmond man. Time to clean house!!!!!!!
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47862.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	421439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92379.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	421440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny27041.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	421441   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz47944.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	421442  
Old 03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
exverbrenner

tom!

i had exactly the same radio problems last spring with the same radio/motor/esc-setup. urs leodolter (twice F5B world champ) said that the yeti was optimized for the 40000+ rpm hackers and maybe had an "outrunner" problem. so i switched to the CC/PHX110HV ESC and what do you guess? there was peace on earth ever since. what do we learn from that? like in a hifi-chain, some good components don't make the sound, it's the lucky combination!

roger
Old 03-06-2006, 07:26 PM
patternflyer1

What radio were you using and also what receiver Roger?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:03 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Chris, I don't know about cleaning house, but we'll certainly have a good time and raise a few eyebrows (and not because of the previous nights mexican food this time )

Flew five flights on the Genesis today... still trimming, lot's to do with a new plane AND radio, but it's coming along nicely. Plane flies well, more than enough power, and feels very smooth.

One interesting point... I did five flights, and one flight was 11:40... Consisted of a few verticals testing out a few things, then the masters sequence, then a few more passes mostly rolling manuevers. When I charged the batteries back up I only put in about 2900 mah. Not bad huh?

Roger,

Been thinking about maybe trying one of those CC speed controls, I might have to as I am still getting the occasional glitch, few and far between now... but it's still there. I need to try a choke, and perhaps my other motor before I start shelling anything out. Besides, I have operated this exact combo for 60 flights with two other airplanes... never a problem at all. So I'm hesitant to say it's the ESC. I do like the braking feature and could have used it on my last plane, but the Genesis seems to do all right coming down as it is.

My lead from the Jeti to the reciever is VERY long... and might be the problem. The other receiver might be fine, but it glitched on every flight, this rx has only done it on 2 out of 8 flights. But there still is a problem. [:@]
Old 03-07-2006, 03:31 AM
exverbrenner

chris, i'm using the 9CAPS with the 1024PCM modulation and 149DP receiver. call me a dino, but i hate switches and airplane conditions, touchscreens and singing/dancing transmitters. don't like the weight of those new lipo-burning boxes, too. old kraft&proline generation problem, i guess nice eclipse, chris. what i had to change on my obsession using the same motor: open the intake holes on the front mounting plate, there is obviously enough air coming in around the prop blade-openings in the spinner and the fuselage-spinner-gap to bring motor temp down from 70 to 60 degress centigrade in summer flying!

tom, leads over 20'' should always be choked, especially in modern composite airplanes with EP. (a mr. faraday sends his greetings). last week, i had one of those "believe it or not" moments: a futaba 14z was getting all mixed up just by putting the receiver antenna in a PLASTIC TUBE inside a wooden fuselage. no not a carbon tube, your plain old piece of pushrod outer tubing. antenna out of the fuselage, old style to the rudder, everything fine, range check ok. tube back over outbord antenna, range gone. your turn!

sometimes, it helps if you touch your receiver before the flight and murmur a few secret words...

cheers

roger
Old 03-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Malcolm H

I'm not an RF engineer so if this seems crazy my apologies.

I use modern plastic drinking straws to house my antenna. These days most straws are larger in diameter than the older ones and you can see through them. I was looking at my installation in my Impact last night and I can see that the antenna is not laying totally straight in the tube but because of the larger diameter is actually lying in a wavy spiral in the tube. Could this be reducing the range compared to a lightly tensioned straight outside antenna?

Malcolm
Old 03-07-2006, 10:08 AM
BaldEagel

pattenflyer

I do not understand your comments on battery break in stage, I know that with NiCd and Nimih it was a requirement to run in a battery to get optimum discharge and capacity, but as far as i am aware this is not neccesary on a LiPo, I have been advised by Flight Power who are Duralite in the US that this is so, have you been informed differently?

Mike
Old 03-07-2006, 03:13 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

I'm surprised to hear a manufacturer state that there is not a break in stage. Maybe I'm wrong... but lipos do require a 'break in' of sorts. Basically going easy on the discharging and charging rates for a period of time early in the batts life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.