My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 10S x 1 or 5S x 2?

Since there are new batteries with the 10S setup in a single stick, is it better to get one battery? I have a TP 1010 charger and balancer so it could handle it. It seems that would be the easier way to go, but don't see any above 4200mah YET... Also, is there any one or two threads that could steer me in the right direction so I won't screw up and make some purchasing mistakes on motors, batt's, ESC's, etc. There is so much good information and some misinformation. It's difficult to discern for me. Thanks from a newb possibly going to the dark side soon. John
Old 08-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Adamg-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 10S x 1 or 5S x 2?

Life with a 10s pack is definitely easier. However, you lose cooling ability, potentially takes longer to charge, can't be used in a sport plane, smaller resale market, only available in up to 4200mAh size (fine for everything but FAI)... that's all I can think of right now.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:05 PM
patternflyr
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thinking that too, Adam. I thinik one nice thing in getting the 5s packs is that you can use them in other stuff. If I ever get around to it, I have a .30 sized electric heli that uses 5s packs. I also plan on getting a .40-.60 sized e plane to use the 5s packs in.

On the plus side, you would probably have a litte lighter battery because you would be minus two connectors and wires.

Emory.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:24 AM
eflier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One advantage to the 5S packs in series is that if you happen to " puff " a cell, you only lose one side...if you had a 10S in one pack, you are down an extra 5 cells.
I know you don't plan on losing any cells, but if you are just getting into electrics, you likely will do it....I have probably been doing the electric thing longer than most here ( 14 years) and if there is a mistake that can be made by a new electric flier, I like to try to steer him away from that possibility at the start. No I haven't been flying " pattern" that long, but I have lotsa E experience.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:15 PM
Adamg-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

eflier, you have a pretty good point. Some of us 'old pros' forget that people new to E-pattern can make mistakes, and minimizing the cost of those is a factor to weigh in.

Adam...
...Carefully connecting wires in fear of making a mistake