Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

E-Motor Mount for Pletti Xtra Outrunner

Old 04-14-2007, 11:42 AM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E-Motor Mount for Pletti Xtra Outrunner

Adam & Mike
I was concerned about the firewall in the Evolution after reading Chris's evaluation with his Axi. I did add the brace Eric Henderson recomended and have read recently that Chris said it hepled on his( I missed that earlier). I only have 5 flights so it is premature to say this is gooing to hold up - but so far it feels stiff. The evolution is a ply box down thru the center of the plane with a plane formed around it by stringers on the bottom and a foam turtle deck on top.
I realise this is different than what you guys are currently discussing about the composite fuselages with the motor mounted to the nose. I just wanted to share my observations about my setup.

Hello Andreas
Yeah I know the ventilation fins do nothing for the plett. I just didn't remove them. I may end up closing the 2 holes on each side of the cowl that direct the air into these fins and thusly behind an outrunner - too early to know. Of course if I do -I'll remove the fins.

I am experimenting with a cooling spinner not too different than yours. When I have some good information to share I'll post it. So far I've only gotten 6 flights on the Evo-Plett so I haven't had time to test yet.

The opening in the cowl under the spinner is directed to the esc and the batteries. I have a baffle in the cowl to close the pipe tunnel since my batteries are inside the plane.

One of my biggest concerns was how much air would get inside the fuse to the batteries. -So far they are staying cool -but it ain't August in Louisiana YET!!

Thanks for all your help.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike

My firewalls are far from brick solid, simply 1/8" lite ply with 5.7 oz carbon on both sides, and mostly cut-out for weight/airflow. Pretty much everyone who has ran the Pletty has mounted it this way, I know of none that have failed in a variety of aircraft....thats thousands of flights of proof that firewalls dont need to be complicated, heavy and over engineered.

I cant speak for any other outrunner, maybe they are simply out of balance and inducing huge dynamic loads into the structure.

For anyone running a Pletti, the mount that I use works plain and simple no need to more.

ORIGINAL: MHester

ORIGINAL: Adamg-RCU

Who said mounting to the firewall was a good idea? I'm just saying that if this fuselage would be have been made 6" longer, the result would be a much lighter and simpler airplane.
That is true....very true.

Mounting to the firewall works well, but the firewall has to be a solid brick wall. It works but best solution? Well, the best solution is.....who really knows yet, since there's nothing even close to standard about any of it. Hence why there 1001 different ways to mount it, and one that has a higher than normal risk of seperating the nose from the rest of the plane. I hate it when that happens...

-M
Old 04-15-2007, 04:11 PM
MHester

Chad can you post up some pics here? Or just link to some?

I'm just trying to find solutions, definitely not trying to say "my way" is better worse or anything. I'm searching. The mount I'm using the like the Esprit Cambia mount, with long stand offs....so there is a good bit of torque out there, a pretty strong moment. A 16 ounce motor is probably not as bad as that monster AXI. I just hate taking chances, structural failure is something that I can live without...

And it has happened, with certain outrunners mounted to certain planes using the nose only. MOST don't fail, but if there's a chance, I like to take the less risky road.

-Mike
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike

In post 10 of this thread you can see the firewall I have in my Twister (same as what I flew in Muncie). I dont know if it would work with other outrunners as I have never tried, but it works on the Plett motors quite well.

As with anything if your carbon is not well bonded to the wood you are going to have problems

I have the same setup on a Genesis 3D which has a much larger front end than the Twister, so far so good.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:48 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Well, make that two people that you know of as I have run 3 outrunners nose mounted with no problems. Also, other I know of, Tom Messer, Don Atwood, Scott Covey. Well, Scott did rip the front off of his icepoint, but I figure that's just being that it was designed for glow.
There are several that are doing it successfully. Some, not so successfully. Depends on the builder. And also, I have seen people not balancing their props on the Axi. Reason being, is the 12mm hole we have to put in the prop. Some people may get their hole a little off center. Now there is the 8mm adapter available. Should help to fix the problem some I figure.

Another reason, the structural integrity of the plane. There was no way I was nose mounting it in my Abbra. Fuse is way too weak IMO. But with a firewall, it's great. I used (way overkill) double 1/4 balsa endgrain, carbon laminated as my firewall. I was taking no chances. Plus, it was pretty light.

Planes have got thinner and thinner. The props, and torque have increased so much that it's important for most to mount with a firewall IMO.. I will most likely mount from a firewall from now on as I feel it is necessary for most of todays designs.

swlarcham:

The brace helped alot with keeping the motor in the Evolution IMO. Credit to Eric for that one!! But the firewall still has quite a bit of movement.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50889.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	665677   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67392.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	665678  
Old 04-16-2007, 03:40 AM
MHester

Well, we made one with the AXI and esprit mount about a year ago, and it is still going strong as well...but it's firewall mounted on standoffs. Weight isn't an issue. You can swing that thing by the prop and the spinner never moves.

Actually Chad, I was looking for pics of it mounted in the plane?

Thanks!
-Mike
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I remember the pics of it Mike. Was quite nice.

C