Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

EagleTree Data Logger results

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 04:05 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EagleTree Data Logger results

I recently received my EagleTree Micro Data Logger and had a chance to capture a couple flights. I think there was a post somewhere on RCU showing some similar results and graphs but I haven't been able to find them. I am using TP5300s, Jeti Spin, Dualsky 636012T, APC 21x13W for these 2 runs. I primarily wanted to compare a new battery to an older one and got the following 2 results. I set the battery voltage cutoff on the chart to 32V to expand the voltage display. The first chart is a new TP5300, the second is a TP5300 with about 50 runs on it.

thx
Don
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46052.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	645401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57858.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	645402  
Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 AM
esamart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EagleTree Data Logger results

It looks like average current value is not correct. Perhaps when it is limited to ~20A graphically it does not show valid average.

Old pack craph on 5,25min shows something unusual "spiking". Think about them if they are not caused by your throttlestick and they keep coming. Are you able to check how low does Voltage go at that point? Maybe this is where low 32.30V is reached because at 10,1 min it seems to be still 0.1V higher.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM
esamart

I made mistake and did use solid current line when read Voltage which is dotted line so the low is not reached until 10,1 min.

But there is something wrong with average current reading. But I can say that 50 flight does not decrease performance of the battery in your setup.

Please do more part throttle flying and show results. Those which are in these show a lot of noise or ripple. It propably is healthy feature of controller. Your trottle stick wont vibrate as much I believe [8D]

There are some intresting notches on oldpack 4.6-, 7.0- and 8.45min and newpack 4.1min.

Esa
Old 03-21-2007, 04:19 PM
moogly

It looks to me like you just seeing the normal amps go up volt go down as in this crap batt I just bought I won't say the maker but it toast after 3 min
so much for 11.1 1320mah bat ha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61694.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	646774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80419.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	646775  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:09 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: esamart

I made mistake and did use solid current line when read Voltage which is dotted line so the low is not reached until 10,1 min.

But there is something wrong with average current reading. But I can say that 50 flight does not decrease performance of the battery in your setup.

Please do more part throttle flying and show results. Those which are in these show a lot of noise or ripple. It propably is healthy feature of controller. Your trottle stick wont vibrate as much I believe [8D]

There are some intresting notches on oldpack 4.6-, 7.0- and 8.45min and newpack 4.1min.

Esa
Will try again tomorrow and see if the spikes re-occur. Will also fly it in another similar plane.

Don
Old 03-22-2007, 11:13 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Don,

You probably need to look at the data in Excel. You will probably see these are not spikes. When you compress the time scale normal throttle changes might look like spikes.

Nothing new to report from down here. Hope to finish the kitchen and get back to fun stuff. I was hoping to get my Dualsky in the air by 1 April but it isn't looking good.

Jim O
Old 03-24-2007, 01:12 PM
esamart

Why Average Current is not right?

Oldpack: 49,69A x 7.5min : 60min = 6200 mAh

Newpack: 49.77A x (10.5min - 3min) : 60min = 6400 mAh

Impossible with TP5300s. Please try to change 20A scale to 0 to see if it comes right.

Jims observation of throttle spikes sounds intelligible

Esa
Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: OhD

Don,

You probably need to look at the data in Excel. You will probably see these are not spikes. When you compress the time scale normal throttle changes might look like spikes.

Nothing new to report from down here. Hope to finish the kitchen and get back to fun stuff. I was hoping to get my Dualsky in the air by 1 April but it isn't looking good.

Jim O
Jim,

Good idea, I did scan thru the fdr file and the graphing software compresses details a bit. I have found I am getting spikes from the controller tho so I guess it is time for it to make a trip to the factory. If I throttle up slowly, I can hear the hesitations so I will go back to my Jeti 90, good old bullet proof controller.....

Don
Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: woodie

ORIGINAL: OhD

Don,

Jim O
Jim,

Good idea, I did scan thru the fdr file and the graphing software compresses details a bit. I have found I am getting spikes from the controller tho so I guess it is time for it to make a trip to the factory. If I throttle up slowly, I can hear the hesitations so I will go back to my Jeti 90, good old bullet proof controller.....

Don
I ran with a standard Jeti controller today and it was much smoother, no hesitations and the Eagle Tree didn't show the jagged lines on throttle up. Problem solved.....

Good ole std Jeti controller!!!

Don

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Don
[/quote]

I ran with a standard Jeti controller today and it was much smoother, no hesitations and the Eagle Tree didn't show the jagged lines on throttle up. Problem solved.....

Good ole std Jeti controller!!!

Don

I'm going to put ten more flights on my Hacker C50/old Hacker/Jeti ESC and then I need a lube job. When I do I'll switch to my Jeti Spin and see how it goes. It seemed to work fine on the bench. Hopefully they know how to solve the cutout problem and did it to my new one.

Jim O

[/quote]
Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Just got my micro logger, and my vintage 98 se laptop won't find the driver. So my question is if I just use voltage and amps what sampling rate is best for clearity and still get the most data?
How many flights can I get per day and then graph on my home system.
Thanks
Steve Maxwell
Old 04-06-2007, 08:43 AM
woodie

ORIGINAL: patternrules

Just got my micro logger, and my vintage 98 se laptop won't find the driver. So my question is if I just use voltage and amps what sampling rate is best for clearity and still get the most data?
How many flights can I get per day and then graph on my home system.
Thanks
Steve Maxwell
Steve, I can record 3 complete P07 flights sampling at 4 per second, recording volts, amps, rpm and temp in the micrologger with no memory expansion unit.

I have it set to start recording a flight when I hit 20 amps and stop recording when full and do not overwrite.

I stopped taking my laptop to the field and just look at data at home.

Don
Old 05-03-2007, 06:41 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How does this data logger compare to the 100 amp Digital Power Recorder that Atlanta Hobbies sells? It seems that these would be very useful to have.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:13 PM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BNB power recorders can only deal with 30V input which is far too low for pattern applications (42V). The micro logger is just enough to take that voltage. There are a few add ons for the micro logger that are pretty cool like the LCD panel, but the voltage is the real kicker for pattern stuff.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 PM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

I've used the bnb for the last couple years. It's true it can only handle 30v, but the software adjusts the voltage to show 2x which is fairly accurate. It's a nice unit and works well. I just got the eagle tree and have been using it lately. Has a few more features then the bnb, like a calibration feature, better exporting of graphs, but they're both comparable. bnb is coming out with a new higher voltage model, not sure what all the improvements will be. As they are now, I'd go with the eagle tree.

I'll add if your running a 10s pack which is permanently configured as 10s you can only use the micro logger. If your running 2 packs harnessed together then you can use either. The bnb unit came before there were 10s chargers and 10s packs.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Andrewg

Whats interesting is that after 7.5minutes the pack voltage is higher in the pack on the left (olderPack)
50 cycles looks like its the run in stage