Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Mini Imac would you play?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:00 PM
ARTP47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Imac would you play?

Thinking of trying to run a local club contest using the following rules. Looking for any feed back on this idea before I envest a ton of time in this project.

Mini-IMAC
Are you interested in learning and competing in Scale Aerobatics but don’t want to invest the time and money required for a large gas IMAC plane? Do you own a small aerobatic “park flyer” and want to try your hand at competing or just develop you precision flying skills? If you answered yes then Mini-IMAC is for YOU!
The rules are very simple:

• Electric airplanes only

• Maximum of a 2200mah 3s Li-Po battery is allowed; other than that – any airframe you desire may be used (aerobatic airplanes will of course be the preferred option.)

• IMAC rules will be used; in the first season we will fly the Basic and Sportsman classes; others may be added depending on interest

• Contests will be run the same as a full IMAC contest using the IMAC scoring program

• Each contest will count for the point series and a champion in each class will be crowned in September

• The contests will only be held if winds are less than 20km/h

• MAAC membership will be REQUIRED

• Boot camps and info sessions will be held this winter

The IMAC sequences and rule book can be found on the IMAC website: www.mini-iac.com
Examples of recommended airframes:
Any of the small E-Flight, Fliton etc scale aerobatic airframes (Extra 260, 330, Edge), 3D-Hobby Shop scale aerobatic planes, E-Flight Brio, Precision Aerobatics Katana MD, etc.
Remember there is a 2200mah 3s MAXIMUM battery size rule – so this will effectively limit the size of plane you can use.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:22 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,
Default RE: Mini Imac would you play?

Not sure about an IMAC one but a general pattern contest would be interesting for baby Brio 10's and suchlike.
Are you in the UK or across the lil pond?
Old 10-28-2007, 08:56 AM
ARTP47

Just a local contest at ower club field in Stonyplain Alberta, Canada. Hoping the Mini IMAC idea would start up at other flying clubs.
IMAC, or pattern, either or, at ower feild IMAC has a bigger following. Just trying to open up another venue for small electics.

If this type of contest were to help at a club near you would you take part?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:20 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

The short answer would be yes although A/ I would prefer mini F3a as I believe full 2m planes are out of reach of many and B/ I relly love the contests where flight is to music. This latter idea is something I intend to see if there would be any following for here in the UK. Overall, your idea sounds good.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

It should be open to wet fuel also, not just electric.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: P-51B

It should be open to wet fuel also, not just electric.

That would then be standard IMAC...

which...by the by.... there is NO size requirement or minimum in any class
Old 10-29-2007, 09:55 AM
ARTP47

P-51B This goes back to my opening statment giving the small electrics guys who are unsure if they if want to invest the time and money required for a large gas IMAC plane.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
ntsmith

Cant have those noisy things as I you wouldnt here the music.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:02 AM
dreadnaut

I would love something like this, but would suggest raising the limit to 4s, or 5s. This would make for more capable aircraft, while still keeping the cost reasonable. Also, limiting to 2100 mah is probably not necessesary since most guys will optimize this around flight time once they start sorting out what works.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
ntsmith

that would start to open the flood gates. I think the size of the aircraft perhaps and OK if you can fly a BRIO 10 with 4 or 5S packs then great but the idea I thought was to keep maximum competitors with minimul cost and a level playing field as we can for a decent contest to give everyone a chance.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM
ARTP47

that would start to open the flood gates. I think the size of the aircraft perhaps and OK if you can fly a BRIO 10 with 4 or 5S packs then great but the idea I thought was to keep maximum competitors with minimul cost and a level playing field as we can for a decent contest to give everyone a chance.
My thoughts exatly

The guys that fly IMAC or Pattern have thier planes dialed in already. Hoping to get a lot of the people flying 3D to try something differant. They just dail back thier rates and have at it. Lots of "Parkflyers" out with planes that can be competitive all ready, MUS, Mini Pulse, Mini Super Sportster etc. Trying to bring more people in to this type of flying. The ones that like the sport can move on up.

Dreadnaut I like you idea also but this is something the IMAC and Pattern people should be coming up with. Large market that is un tapped out thier.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:59 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

Nigel

I can appreciate your concern. Just look at what happened to pattern. At 10cc engine size limit, it was accesible to a lot of people, but now a lot of people have been priced out of it. But, a bigger airframe does smoother ''pattern'' style aerobatics better. I currently fly a 3s setup, and have flown 2m nitro pattern planes. The best flying 3s plane I have had so far, and the one I am currently flying is the Aeroworks Stingray. I would be happier if it were a little bigger.

I think 4s would allow for more pattern-like performance while still keeping the cost reasonable. In any event, this would take some discussion among all interested people. That said, if enough people were interested that such an event became a reality, and if the consensus is 3s, I'm in.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:46 PM
ARTP47

Lets have FUN with this thing. Let grow, then the saction bodies can jump in an kill it. Will be going to ower club monthly meeting on Monday and formerly ask for a date for this contest.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:03 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: ARTP47

P-51B This goes back to my opening statment giving the small electrics guys who are unsure if they if want to invest the time and money required for a large gas IMAC plane.

I was trying to consider two things:

1. Alot of small glow flyers can't afford the big IMAC set ups, so they may like to be included.

2. Avoid the appearance of the "typical elitist electric only crowd" by including all RC flyers.

Just a thought, your event not mine. I hope you get a BIG crowd however you do it.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Skitimberlake
My Feedback: (35)

Idea behind this thread is cool. "Small" electric plane aerobatic competition. Been thinking along that line for a couple months now.

In our club, we have some tentative buy-in from our club BOD and thus far about a dozen fliers for an intra-club Team Electric Aerobatic League, flying smaller low cost electric aerobats sort of similar to what is proposed on the thread. Goals - have fun; increase flying skills across board of all participants' and increase pattern flying familiarity. Electric planes only, there will be an upper size limit, not sure if it is watts, size of plane, weight or what but we recognize size has some advantages and we want to keep this affordable and all planes at least competitive. We plan to allow any type of electric within the "limit". Mini-IMAC, mini-pattern or mini-sport as long as it is electric ( a large % of our club already fly electric, some exclusively, others fly electric and glow.)

We plan to form teams, and will devise a scoring system that gives as much benefit to a team for moving say a team's #3 guy up in the standings list 4 places as it does for moving a team's #1 flier up 4 places, so we don't just focus on best fliers. Thus teams have an incentive to help coach lower ranked fliers to improve their team's standings. (Scoring system will be patterened after the team scoring process that collegiate waterskiing teams use in their team competitions.)

Some issues we are wrestling with and would like input on how others have approached it are: 1) - specific sequences flown by all pilots vs. allow individual pilots to devise own unique sequence from among a list of allowable maneuvers (only sportsman and intermediate class maneuvers make the list.) We have a few fliers that are a bit fearful of even the sportsman sequences - are there real benefits to being forced to fly only the sportsman & intermediate sequences ? There is a wide variety of pilot skill in our interested folks. ; 2) - How to adequately train a bunch of sport fliers (newbie electric pattern fliers) to be low level pattern judges overnight ?? We are aware of NCRSA judging materials available; 3) - use the traditional pattern 120 degree box as in F3a pattern or do not use a box - like in Sr. Pattern Assoc. ?? Since planes are smaller, they will tend to fly closer in, and constraints of a traditional box on newbie pattern fliers flying close in could be problematic - tough to stay within the box close in where small planes are comfortable to fly & be seen; 4) where should the "size" limit be set if it is a WATTAGE limit ? At what point do larger planes start to have a significant advantage at doing Sportsman & Intermediate maneuvers ? But since we have a couple of fliers with 4S battery powered Diamontes etc. we want to be as inclusive of them as possible unless they have an huge advantage... It is a balance of competitive field of planes vs. as much inclusion of existing fliers' planes as possible. Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance.

Skitimberlake