Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Receivers for electric models

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:15 AM
Reko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receivers for electric models

Guys what JR receivers are you using in electric F3A models? I’m having trouble with interference on an electric model and a Graupner (JR) SMC19DS receiver. I have experimented with different types of ferrite chokes on all long servo cables (and ESC wire off course), but it only reduces the problem and do not eliminate it. I will likely have to buy a new receiver (or go 2,4 Ghz). Which JR (or Graupner) receiver has the best “noise rejection capability”?

Thanks!
David
Old 07-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Receivers for electric models

David,

Having used both JR synthesised and crystal controlled receivers with every choke and filter device available and still gettng the odd glitch I went 2.4GHz last year and have not had one glitch since in 2 different 10 cell F3A models.

I'm using a Spektrum module in a JR10X transmitter and AR9000 receivers with 2 cell lipo and Jaccio regulator. Its the ultimate cure!

Malcolm

Old 07-10-2008, 07:45 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

I haven't had a glitch since I changed to 2.4 gHz a couple of years ago. I've flown everything from T-Rex 450 through Ion heli's and park flyer through 2 meter pattern birds with no problems.

Before switching to 2.4, I had issues in a couple of planes with high voltage BEC's and/or long servo leads....those were solved with chokes before 2.4 was available.

G
Old 07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Reko

I too believe that 2,4 Ghz is the best solution but converting is a bit complicated since I’m using a Graupner MC24 transmitter. The only possibility seems to be IFS/XPS, but I have read too many bad things about that "non hopping" system to put it in my competition model. A better 35 mhz receiver then the SMC19DS could be a temporary solution until Robbe gets their FASST module for MC24 in production (or until I get tired and buy Futaba).

Anyone know if a spectrum JR compatible module can be bought for the European 100mW market? I have seen some people modifying them to fit in MC24.

David
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 PM
f3a05

A module is available to fit the JR 9X2, and the 2.4Gig version is now on sale in the UK....
I too would have said that 2.4 Ghz solved the niggling interference problems experienced with electric pattern planes,and I still believe so in relation to interference originating within the model.
However, I have had two occasions recently where the model appeared to go into failsafe:

Both times at the right hand end of the box at my field-once going vertically up (motor went to idle,model slowed then flopped,then signal returned).
And once coming vertically down at idle after 2/4 up,stall turn,-no response to 1/2 roll commandafter approx 2 secs control returned.

The only thing anyone has suggested, is that the model was fairly close, and in line with, the mobile phone transmitter booster aerial just visible near the green hangars beyond the box end-is it possible that a burst of activity from that aerial could swamp the model's signal??
Old 07-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

I use numerous Berg and HiTec receivers in a bunch of different electric planes, from dinky little park flyers to giant scale cubs. I haven't had a problem with any of them. I've used JR, Airtronics and Hitec transmitters with all of these combinations.
Old 07-10-2008, 03:28 PM
BrunoCH

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

David, a friend of mine uses the MC24 and a SPCM receiver on a Beryll and doesn't have one glitch. I can try to find out what receiver model he uses, but I do know that he mounts it as far back as possible.
I also had lots of problems with a Futaba 149DP. Moving the receiver back and making the antena exit through the top of the fuselage cured them.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Reko

Bruno thank you that would be nice. You are right also that it is SPCM receivers I’m interested in. should have specified that from the start

I feel that I have done everything I could with the current receiver. It is mounted far aft and antenna is on the outside. All cables are twisted, ferrite rings etc. Interestingly the following webpage states that the SMC19 might be unsuitable for electric flight. http://www.webx.dk/rc/RX-measurement...let-listen.htm.
In other words I think it will be enough with a different receiver. I just dont want to buy them all to find the best one. Unfortunately the website do not list test results of any other “top of the line” SPCM receivers.

Anyone tried ACT S3D 2,4Ghz system?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

I ran the JR R2000 dual conversion synthesized receivers in my electric pattern planes with no problems ever. I switched to the JR921 2.4ghz receiver now and also have had no problems. If you are always having noise issues it could be coming through the controller back into the receiver and be a controller problem.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 AM
oisf3a

Hi

I understand you are after a 35 Mhz receiever but I will just inform you that I have been flying a Futaba FASST 2.4 Module in my Graupner MC24 since october 2007 in two different F3A models, one with electric power and one YS 170 power. This has worked perfect with no issues at all in both applications (even with carbon canopies and so on close to the Rx)

The transmitter is slightly modified (just a opening for the antenna in the rear cover) to accomodate the Futaba module, and you also need to make a small electronic adaptor because the Futaba and JR PPM signals are inverted relative to each other and also has different amplitudes. All you need is a transistor and a few resistors, easy to do with basic electronic skills.

I am very happy with my MC24 "mid life update", now I can live with it a few more years......:-)

Oistein
Old 07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Reko

Oistein that is great info! What futaba module are you using? Do you have any photos or references explaining how the modification is done?

I have heard that the Futaba 2,4 Ghz receivers are using a lower then normal signal level to the servos. Have you had any problems using JR servos with the futaba receiver? Or perhaps you are using futaba servos?

David
Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
BrunoCH

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

David, I got the receiver model from my friend, he's using a SMC19DS, same as you! Strange, huh?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Reko

Well that’s funny… and confusing. Perhaps there is something in my system not working to 100%.
Thanks for the help anyway!

David
Old 07-11-2008, 09:22 PM
KeithB
My Feedback: (1)

If you're not going 2.4 Ghz then the ([link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPR790]JRPR790[/link]) is an excellent choice. Light and very reliable. Unfortunately it's 72 mhz, not sure if they have such an animal in other bands.

Keith B
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

David,

The Robbe module ( Faast for MC 24 )will be avaiable in mid August according to Robbe / Norwegian Modellers.
Mine is already ordered

Kjell Olav
Old 07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Reko

ORIGINAL: 67685
The Robbe module ( Faast for MC 24 )will be avaiable in mid August according to Robbe / Norwegian Modellers.
Mine is already ordered

Kjell Olav
Hmm.. the information I got says this module won’t be out until November (earliest). I hope your info is more reliable.

Keith B, I think the 35mhz equivalent of JRPR790 is JR RS77S. I managed to borrow one of those and tested in my model, but it did not improve the glitches. I think going 2.4 will solve the problem with least effort.

David
Old 07-14-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Iv`e ben waiting for that module for some time now...

I send Robbe a mail some days ago, and they forwarded it to Norwegian Modellers, answering that the module will arrive Germany in Mid august ...
... Well, at least i hope so , we all know how it is about "delivery time" ...

Kjell Olav