Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Turnigy Sentilon Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM
cygnet
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnigy Sentilon Question

I have a Turnigy Sentilon version 4.0, I also have a turnigy programing card, I can't get it to work my buddy has the same combo and his dosn't work either. Yet the card works on other turnigy ESC. Is there something that we are doing wrong? or does the card just not work with the Sentilon, the web site says that it should work?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Turnigy Sentilon Question

I don't know about the V4 Sentilon, but the latest Turnigy controllers (the K-force series) are not compatible with the old programming card. Try to find a K-force programming card, maybe it's compatible with your ESC.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:08 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

cygnet, You might be better off buying either a Castle HV or a Jeti Spin controller. Like their motors, the only history the Turnigy unit has is that it is JUNK! Regards____TNWalker
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Alex Voicu

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

ORIGINAL: TNWalker

cygnet, You might be better off buying either a Castle HV or a Jeti Spin controller. Like their motors, the only history the Turnigy unit has is that it is JUNK! Regards____TNWalker
I bought a Turnigy 100A controller 1 year ago and i never had a problem with it.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Jim Grunt

I bought my speed controller and card last November and I thought the same thing. I found you have to follow the instructions to the letter and make all your connections in exactly the same order as the program card instruction sheet states. As for it being junk I've had no problems at all. Jim
Old 04-22-2009, 06:19 AM
wattsup

If you are a weekend flyer, chances are it will last a season or two. It will not holdup to the rigors of pattern practice & contests. There are always exceptions to the rules. I've had "hands on" experience with JUNK & prefer the the quality, reliablity and ease of use of my Castle HV85 controller. Wish you luck. Regards_TNWalker
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Hey Walker, Chinese junk, isn't that a ship?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 PM
wattsup

airega1, Please, I'm trying to be politically correct now that we all are expected to "worship" the new President! Regards___TNWalker
Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Jim Grunt

The way I see it is good enough for practice plane. It seems to put me more at ease learning the new maneuvers with a cheaper plane and equipment like a Turnigy speed controller with E. flight motor. In my composite airframes I used in-runners and Castle speed controller's so far the low-cost equipment I've been using for practice planes has been money well spent. Knock on wood. I must say though I'm quite impressed with my Turnigy speed controller as I have pushed it quite hard and it's still going strong. So I guess if you're willing to take the chance is a very good price. Jim
Old 04-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

I've had 2 Jeti controllers - one of them failed after 20 or so flights... I guess I would consider Jeti junk then since I'm at a 50% failure rate? [8D]

To each his own... you don't like the controller then don't use it... I don't think it is necessary to keep saying that one manufacturer produces all junk just because of a bad experience in one area.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 PM
wattsup

Derek, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Guess what, so am I! Regards___TNWalker
Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man ... things get heated pretty easily. I have used them El Cheapos and them El Branded. I got cheapos that spewed sparks on my first time powering her up and also some that really were well abused. Basically, you get what you pay for. Each has its own use. I still got my CC, MGM, Turnigy, DualSky and more. They all work well when you know where you want them in.

As for me, if its a nice say EP Integral, I will go with the branded stuff. Its a fact that they do last better BUT of course you are definitely paying a premium for them.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
wattsup

tianci, there is an old saying here in Tennessee_"If you want fresh oats for your horse, you have to pay a premium price. But, if you are willing to settle for oats that have been
cycled through any horse's stomach, then that's alot cheaper!" Do you get my drift? Let me add, it's very easy to jump into any forum when you are "given" different items to use in RC pattern as you see fit. My point is, as always, most of us out here work hard & are not in a positon to waste money. So, here comes these retailers from all over the world trying to unload their JUNK on us. Oh yes, I understand the current business model used here in the States & Overseas: "Get all you can get at EVERYONE'S expense". The best thing all of us can do is exercise caution when making purchases & call take the CROOKS to task by exposing them in forums just like this. After all, they are really trying to STEAL your money with 2nd rate products! As Always, Regards____TNWalker
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 AM
tIANci

TN ... I think that saying is too long as I can understand why because the state of Tennessee is spelt darn long too!!! (I can spell it right without having to look at how you spell it). If I had my way (meaning if I could fly that well enough), I will use branded stuff on a premium plane. Its not about how much money we have to blow but I would save up and wait a bit to get the good stuff.

Still, I know that the cheaper China made ESCs do work fine ... make sure its a tried and tested brand. Don't get the really weird sounding ones. I like Hobby City, they have reviews and that really helps give you an idea of what you are buying.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:13 AM
wattsup

tianci, recently I was given a private tour of the electronics repair dept of one of the largest internet retailers of rc products located in my area. Guess what, there were literally
hundreds of these cheap import controllers (returns) that were stacked up to be repaired or destroyed! This is where I got my info first hand. I was being purposeful in my long explanation above about the "fresh oats". You have a terrific grasp of spoken/written English. Some don't. Let me give you a little history about me. I retired March 15th, 2009
from the Nursing profession & find myself financially secure with plenty of time to finally do what I want to & enjoy myself. That being said, I agree with you, it's not about having
money to blow. It's about getting the most value for your hard earned money. I guess you can say, I've reached a point in my life that I am no longer going to compromise my values/ethics & am not going to take any BS off anyone! (Not that I ever did). Some of these folks are going to realize that it may not be to their advantage to endorse 2nd rate equipment or "lead sleds"! You show me anyone that enjoys a "sponsorship" and I'll show you all the rest of us out here that subsidizes them with our purchases. So before these
people take anyone to task, they better think twice because the future of their sponsorship is at risk. Regards___TNWalker
Old 04-23-2009, 08:49 AM
tIANci

ORIGINAL: TNWalker

You have a terrific grasp of spoken/written English.
I think you speak/write pretty well too ... HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAA ... seriously, its interesting what you saw on your tour. Its an eye opener.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:59 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely the chinese products are going to hurt the US market and European market, but let's face it, I get the best stuff for my planes because I can (thanks God), but there is a lot of people that can't afford the best, to those, the best is why they can get their hands on, and if it works fine , then better.

I will not buy a Chinese version of the YS, I will buy the Japanese YS, but every one has it's point and make decisions that has to be respected! weather they are good or bad.

One thing to be consider, warranty and shipping cost, I know Castle and other you can call and talk to them, that's the warranty you are looking for and that cost money.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Keithfl

__TNWalker,

Have you actually USED a Turnigy ESC, or are your comments just a slanderous generalisation on all Chinese ESCs?

I agree there's some junk out there, and I wouldn't trust a decent airframe to many of the cheapo brands, but the Turnigy Sentillons (Hobbywing OEM) appear to be a cut above. I've personally been running 3 in installations drawing over 2200W WOT, and have nothing bad to say. Nothing. There's wagonloads of these Hobbywing speedies out there, and you just don't hear bad comments about them. Except from you of course.

I've witnessed & experienced enough failures of Kontronik, Schulze, CC, & Aveox ESC's over the years to know that no brand is immune from failure. Buying a name brand doesn't guarantee reliability.

One has to realise that much of the cheapo stuff is being purchased by newbies & converts to electic flight who have little or no knowledge of how to set up a power system. This in itself is going to guarantee a higher mortality rate, due to reverse polarity, overcurrent, overvoltage or installation-based errors. Just looking at a pile of failed products without taking the user profile into account is liable to result in flawed conclusions. As an example, do you have any idea how many CC 125's have been burnt out? Lots. But is that a negative comment on that model speedy? No, because the user profile is generally high performance gliders drawing 150-400A. They're just knowingly being used way beyond their rated limits, and a certain failure rate has to be expected.

Can't help but get the impression that your comments are nothing more than an uneducated, God Bless American-manufactured CC rant. No offense.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:17 AM
wattsup

Keithfl, You too are entitled to your opinion. Yes, I do have experience with the Turnigy, Atlas, Jeti Spin & Castle Creations controllers. You are probably not aware that there are only two manufacturers located in China that make ALL of these controllers for export! Brand names don't mean much. Did you even take the time to read my second entry above? A personal attack on me from you speaks volumes about you. New flyers need all the help they can get including guidance R/T purchasing & running the proper size/capacity controller. If they are not helped in some way, I can assure you they will not be in the hobby long! How many new flyers have you seen come & go in a very short period of time? Chances are you don't even care! So, I guess I've wasted enough time rsponding to your personal anti-Amercian attack. No offense taken!Regards____TNWalker