new to electric flight need help!!!

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

new to electric flight need help!!!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to electric flight need help!!!

Hi guys, I'm not new to R/C flying, But I'm new to Electric flight and have a few Question about the set up on a Great Planes Mini Sportster. I ordered the ESC Electrifly C-25 and 2ea. 8cell 9.6 volt 2/3A 1100 Mah MiMH batterys they Recommend.

My question: the batteries have I'm guessing 16 to 18 gage wire and the ESC wiring to the battery is 10 to 12 gage wire, the esc has a dean ultra connector and the battery has a mini style connector I know I have to change the connector on the battery to a female dean but WHAT ABOUT THE WIRE SIZE the battery has a smaller size wire is that going to be a Problem???? with over heating??? of the battery. the Manual does talk about the connector must be able to handle at least 12 amps I'm guessing the dean connectors will do this.
I did install the bullet style connectors from the motor to the ESC, any help with this question would be greatly appreciated ahead of time.
One last question the ESC came with 3 Capacitors to be installed on the motor, a 400 geared motor. is this required? the ESC is the only place it talks about it the plane manual does not show this.

Thanks again, Pete
Old 04-26-2009, 09:40 PM
snuts

Default RE: new to electric flight need help!!!

Hi pete, The wire size on your battery packs are sized for the ampacity that they are intended to deliver. That beeing said,simply replace the end. Although,if you take the time,& effort to up-grade the battery conductors it will only help, I can't imagine noticably, but in theary, yes.
Your speed 400 may already have the propper size capacitor installed within the motor case. The ones I have encountered have some means of identifying this. look close. I too have decades of rc experiance, and finally tried electrics. Brushless first ( times 13 ) and now playing with 3 brushed projects. Hope this helps, Snuts
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 AM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

Default RE: new to electric flight need help!!!

Snuts, thank you very much for your input, I have replaced all the connector as you suggested. will look at the 400 and see if I need to add the comp. Now I'm looking @ turning one of my pattern planes (Dirty birdy 40) into electric!!!

Regards, Pete