Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Duralite Batteries (Buyers Beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duralite Batteries (Buyers Beware)

Ijust want to show what kind of batteries and service you get from Duralite for approx. $1500.00 these days. Below are a few pictures of what they call the 123 batteries and as you can see they don't look to hot. These batteries have never even been in the air, as a matter of factthey have never charged.

Agood friend and life long modelersaw an ad one dayfor these super batteries and decided to order 4 sets for his quad hacker set up. He already had the Thunder Power Batteries Iarranged for himbut wanted a second set. At the time that he ordered them hetold Duralite exactleywhat they were to be usedin and they assured him these would be much better and lighter then what he had. Now you need to know my friend is retired andhe and his wife are millionaires many timesover.

When the batteries arrived he unboxedatwo setsand layedthem on his work bench. A few minutes later he started to hear something that sounded like muffled popcorn popping and could not figure out where it was coming from. He eventually followed the sound back to the batteries and when he picked one uphe could not believe his eyes. They would pop and then blow a hole in the heat shrink. He called Duralite and was basically told he didn't know what he was doing and that was it.

So at that moment he put all four sets in a fire box and decided to just wait until I came back from Iraq to look them over. I must admit when I saw the holes and heard the story Icould hardley believe it. Anyway Idecided Iwas going to call Duralite and see what they had to say. Iknew pictures would needed to help show what we were talking about so Iunwrapped the other two batteries and set all four in a row on the bench. Not 2 minutes had gone by andall of the sudden Istarted hearing that muffled popping sound. Sure enough the new sets were doing exactley the same thing. It is really kinda scary because you hear the pop and a second or two later a hole appears . Not wanting to take any chances Ihave since moved this duralite stuff to a safe location.

Now since Iwas in the business Iknow how important it is when as a manufacturer your given a second chance in order to make things right. Ireally thought since Iam not just some guy off the street, that Jack at duralite would at least be willing to replace the batteries, but a refund would have been ideal. Icalled Duralite and when Igot through to Jack Price himself we had what Ithought was a productive conversation. Of course he started off with the standard stuff but then when he realized that it wasn't going to work he changed his tune and said we would work it out. Since Icould not ship the batteries Isent him the same pics posted below. He was supposed to call once they arrived and we could go from there. Well no call came,just a one sentence email that read. "Those Batteries were purchased a year ago and we are not prepared to offer any type of compesation."

Now myfriend told me it was closer to six months buteither wayit shouldn't matter. He is a very simple guywhen it comes to his hobby and that is if it works he will never change andif you screw him you justlost his business.That is great, but for most of us $1500.00 is ahuge portion of our modeling allowance and to just have itremoved and nothing to show for it is a terrible thing.

Anyhow Ihope that this gets out to as many people as possible because manufactureslike this one prey on the guy who trusts them in the beginning and then gets ripped off.To add insult to injury then they are told it was there fault in the first place.

Thanks for listening

Chip Hyde
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54442.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1221085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85896.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1221086   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89449.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1221087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq44390.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1221088  
Old 06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
bobferguson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Duralite Batteries (Buyers Beware)

That is really strange. I don't remember every of reading about A123 cells doing that and so have four packs do it? I have about 6 4s packs and four 6s packs and have not had any problems other than replacing 2 cell that would not balance correctly.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Including myself, I know of a lot of people that regularly use Duralite stuff.  I trust the batteries themselves and the company behind it.

All I read on this message is hearsay.  There is no first hand account of the situation.  I know that at some point in your story you say that you returned from Iraq to do something, but what assures you that the packs were not damaged before your returned?

To tell you the truth, the pack on the right, the one that appears by itself on the 3rd picture seems to have been dragged accross something.  Charging alone would not have caused that type of damage, The holes, maybe but the drag marks?

At no point of your story do you ever mention the type of charger being used, the setting used to charge the batteries, if you used a Duralite charger, ect. ect. ect.  Again hearsay.

I don't doubt your story, anything is possible.  But your story has so many holes in it that it is immpossible to come up to a conclusion.  To add to my point, I also have a friend that has lined pockets, he does things the way he thinks is correct.  I've seen myself fixing a lot of his problems because he thought that the way he was doing it, was the correct way. 

Rafael

Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Ok Iwill say it again because apparently it was not clear enough the first time. The Batteries were NEVERcharged. Now how do I know this. Iunwrapped the second two just the other day. As for the drag marks it was where my friend had put a strip of sticky back velcro on the bottom so it could be installed in the plane. Iam not making this up Ihave no reason to. You can believe it or not this did happen exactly this way.
The following users liked this post:
pfact (07-16-2023)
Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

What exactly happend during "unwrap"? It seems unwrapping is the triggering event.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Jason Arnold

G'day Chip,

What were the batteries wrapped in?

Was it an air tight seal around the pack?

Cheers
Jason.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Chip,
I had a similar experience involving LiPos with another vendor that most people praise highly.   Dunno why, maybe they had a fight with their significant other (-:

To the point, I have had A123s blow just as you described when overcharged by an improperly set charger.  Now why uncharged cells would blow, I have no idea.  Maybe the pack was shorted somehow.  Could it have been subjected to extremely high heat at some point?
Walt
Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
dentdoc
My Feedback: (3)

Facts:
I hold a $267,000.00 JUDGEMENT Against DURALITEPLUSbatteries. They sold me Defective Batteries, Did Extensive damage due to there DEFECTS! Got served Lawsuits, Changed there corparate name & Moved to Canada.

Duralite batteries is a VERY bad Company & group of guys.. You are lucky to just be out $1,500.00 bucks.

Cameron Smith
[email protected]

Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Chip,

Coming to the Oakdale contest next weekend?

I had a new Duralite go bad in a plane. Brand new. 1 charge. Lost the plane. Didn't take it up with Duralite as I didn't figure it would do any good. Isn't Flight Power owned by Duralite? I used to love them, but then the 5350's came out and I wasted $2200 for less than 80 flights on 8 5 cell sets ran as 10 cells. What a shame. Bad customer service will do any company in. I can testify to that with them. I took my business else where

See ya at the Nats!

Chris Fitzsimmons
Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: dentdoc

Facts:
I hold a $267,000.00 JUDGEMENT Against DURALITEPLUSbatteries. They sold me Defective Batteries, Did Extensive damage due to there DEFECTS! Got served Lawsuits, Changed there corparate name & Moved to Canada.

Duralite batteries is a VERY bad Company & group of guys.. You are lucky to just be out $1,500.00 bucks.

Cameron Smith
[email protected]

Geez Cameron that's aweful. I think I remember that story from the past. Didin't they have an insurance company backing them up? Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 07:37 AM
dentdoc

Mike,
FACT: Duralite was Uninsured. Assets hidden? There screw up was on my dime!
The $267,000.00 was from recites presented to the court at time of JUDGEMENT.

Remember this everytime you see one of those Duralite ads. DEADBEATS!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
mups53

That's terrible Cameron and there should be some type of retribution in our system.
Good news for meis I have never used any of their products because I've always thought they were grossly overpriced. Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mups53

That's terrible Cameron and there should be some type of retribution in our system.
There is, don't ever buy their products!! Spread the word and stop their business cold.

I was a very early adopter back when Emory started the company. I got a bad pack that was DOA. One of the first Duralite Sudden Death Syndrome packs where they just died. No fire or drama, just dead. Charged like normal (with their insanely expensive simple charger), looks good, but put a load on it and it drops to literally 0 volts.

I was told by them that it was user error since none of the "big names" were having issues. It later was found to be a fairly common failure mode for the first generation lithium metal celIs.

I never did business with them again and have always steered people away from them when I could.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

Old 06-21-2009, 06:46 PM
dentdoc

John,
Please realize there IS a difference between Batteries we can Trust today VS COMPANIES that should be avoided!
Look around and see what is being said about Duralite. THISISTHERETRACKRECORD!

There are many resources for A123 cells & Battery packs! And much cheaper than duralite. You can even Roll your own! There is so much information on A123 batteries here on RCU.

Go check out the Duralite Support forum here on RCU. They get 5% or less of the action here! They have not answered a question here in 5 to 6 MONTHS! REALCUSTOMERSUPPORT! (or NOSUPPORT).

Maybe when it comes time to replace them, Talk to some of the other battery guys.

Cameron Smith

Old 06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

Hi Chip,

The thing that I don't understand from your story is what the "inciting event" is .....if the batteries weren't being charged, this destruction seems to have happened spontaneously after they were " unwrapped". If that is the case, were they sealed in nitrogen prior to being unwrapped? If not, why do you think they started to degrade when unwrapped? It sure looks like the shrink wrap is burned over the connecting poles....like they were overheated by a short.

?????
George
Old 06-22-2009, 12:43 PM
MHester
My Feedback: (1)

Cameron's story is 100%fact. The story you guys heard came from me, years ago.

Ibuilt the plane that the pack was installed in. it was a scratch built typhoon 2000, all balsa built up. Glassed and painted.

Now let's make SUREthis record is clear:Cameron came over on that Monday night to pick up the plane. Ididn't install the pack, but recall Cameron doing so. Iremember him reading the instructions and Stating aloud which lead went where, so it was installed according to the manufacturer's directions. It wasn't charged until he got home, so in a court of law under cross examination, COULDit have gotten plugged in backwards between here and there?Sure, but the chance is less than .0000000000001%

And yes he used the Duralite charger that came with it. At the time, lithium Ion batteries were brand spanking new. Imean like maybe a month old.

Next morning Iget a phone call about 7:30Am, Cameron is in his driveway in his underwear, his house is on fire and he and his (now wife)had to move into a motel (if Irecall)while the house was repaired/cleaned/rebuilt.

And yes he got a judgement, no they never paid, and yes they left the country. As far as Iknow they have an outstanding judgement that they have never paid and obviously have no intent of ever doing so.

This is just simple fact, nothing more. Personally Ihave never sent Duralite one red cent and never will, ever. Ithink it sucks for Cameron, but understand that Ihave nothing to gain or lose from this at all. Isimply choose not to do business with them. Just like Chip said....buyer beware. This particular case is a lot more serious than an ARFthat the wing was crooked or some crap like that. This was potentially deadly.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52285.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1222687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84794.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1222688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79838.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1222689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex68909.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1222690  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
jim woodward

.... I bet the only thing hotter than that fire was the trail Duralite blazed to Canada!    [8D]
Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
mups53

Chip I'm really glad that you started this post. Until this I didn't know how aweful this company has been to the RC community. It's good that everyone gets an idea of some of this.
One suggestion that might help is a reference to this thread on the regular RCU pattern pages. I know a lot of guys who fly IC may not get the word over here that should. Mike
Old 06-22-2009, 05:10 PM
dentdoc

Here is a list of PEOPLE that might not know who they are dealing with! IF anyone knows anyone associated with these organizations please reference them here or put them in touch with me.
Thanks!

• Advanced Composite
• Aimes Flight Research Center
• Applied Research Associates, Inc
• Athena Technologies Inc
• Colorado Department of
Aeronautics
• Extreme Aerial Imaging
• General Atomics Aeronautical
• Lockheed Martin Corp.
• Meggitt Defence Systems

• Mission Technologies
• Mneumonics Inc
• Motorola
• NASA Aimes, Dryden, Langly,
and Johnson Space Centers
• Neural Robotics
• South West Research
• University of Central Florida
• University of Missouri

Seems like an organization that deals with some of these groups might need to be more responsable?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Please see below post!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Rezagh
My Feedback: (73)

Hello Chip,

First of all thank you very much for all you and people like you are doing to protect our freedom and help other countries to taste the very freedom and democracy we have here.

Now on the battery subject, I would like to share some facts as simple as they can be put and let everyone make up their minds. Nothing against you personally as I am sure we have very few highly decorated RC icons such as yourself whom I respect very much.

Here we go.
Facts:

1. Batteries were ordered exactly as the buyer (actual customer) wanted them. These were 4 packs of 10S Genuine A123, 2300 mah on <st1:date year="2008" day="19" month="6">June 19th, 2008</st1:date> (over a year ago)
2. Chip calls Jack asking for credit about 2 weeks ago, saying he has ordered the wrong stuff and the batteries made popping noises and show holes in them. (After one year)
3. After Chip call and the pictures that he sent, Jack Price (Duralite) had a direct conversation with the customer!
4. Duralite calls the customer and had a direct conversation. Duralite was told that batteries were charged once using Triton charger on Li-Po setting just as he would charge his ThunderPower Li-Po batteries!
5. Duralite is not responsible or obligated to accept any kind of deal on something that was sold 1 year ago and misused and over charged by 6 volts! Voltage of an A123 cell is 3.6 at the peak and Li-Po 4.2. For 10S, charge should stop at 36 volt on A123 not 42 volts!
6. If you know of anyone in the business accommodating such a return with above circumstances, please let me know as I personally would love to buy from such company!

Chip, I do not intend to call you anything here, maybe you should talk to your friend in detail about how he charged them and do not insist that they were not charged before you as an RC icon come on the forum and do your own self very little good if any!

Best Regards,
Reza Gholamipour
ORIGINAL: Passport1

Ijust want to show what kind of batteries and service you get from Duralite for approx. $1500.00 these days. Below are a few pictures of what they call the 123 batteries and as you can see they don't look to hot. These batteries have never even been in the air, as a matter of factthey have never charged.

Agood friend and life long modelersaw an ad one dayfor these super batteries and decided to order 4 sets for his quad hacker set up. He already had the Thunder Power Batteries Iarranged for himbut wanted a second set. At the time that he ordered them hetold Duralite exactleywhat they were to be usedin and they assured him these would be much better and lighter then what he had. Now you need to know my friend is retired andhe and his wife are millionaires many timesover.

When the batteries arrived he unboxedatwo setsand layedthem on his work bench. A few minutes later he started to hear something that sounded like muffled popcorn popping and could not figure out where it was coming from. He eventually followed the sound back to the batteries and when he picked one uphe could not believe his eyes. They would pop and then blow a hole in the heat shrink. He called Duralite and was basically told he didn't know what he was doing and that was it.

So at that moment he put all four sets in a fire box and decided to just wait until I came back from Iraq to look them over. I must admit when I saw the holes and heard the story Icould hardley believe it. Anyway Idecided Iwas going to call Duralite and see what they had to say. Iknew pictures would needed to help show what we were talking about so Iunwrapped the other two batteries and set all four in a row on the bench. Not 2 minutes had gone by andall of the sudden Istarted hearing that muffled popping sound. Sure enough the new sets were doing exactley the same thing. It is really kinda scary because you hear the pop and a second or two later a hole appears . Not wanting to take any chances Ihave since moved this duralite stuff to a safe location.

Now since Iwas in the business Iknow how important it is when as a manufacturer your given a second chance in order to make things right. Ireally thought since Iam not just some guy off the street, that Jack at duralite would at least be willing to replace the batteries, but a refund would have been ideal. Icalled Duralite and when Igot through to Jack Price himself we had what Ithought was a productive conversation. Of course he started off with the standard stuff but then when he realized that it wasn't going to work he changed his tune and said we would work it out. Since Icould not ship the batteries Isent him the same pics posted below. He was supposed to call once they arrived and we could go from there. Well no call came,just a one sentence email that read. "Those Batteries were purchased a year ago and we are not prepared to offer any type of compesation."

Now myfriend told me it was closer to six months buteither wayit shouldn't matter. He is a very simple guywhen it comes to his hobby and that is if it works he will never change andif you screw him you justlost his business.That is great, but for most of us $1500.00 is ahuge portion of our modeling allowance and to just have itremoved and nothing to show for it is a terrible thing.

Anyhow Ihope that this gets out to as many people as possible because manufactureslike this one prey on the guy who trusts them in the beginning and then gets ripped off.To add insult to injury then they are told it was there fault in the first place.

Thanks for listening

Chip Hyde
Old 06-23-2009, 12:09 AM
devin136

What is the truth here? just wondering if there is more to this thread...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 AM
tailspins
My Feedback: (7)

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 AM
downunderdog

I have a difficult time believing that the second set of batteries that popped had sat for 6 months and then did it as soon as they were unwrapped - without being charged.

I'm not saying that it didn't happen - just that I can't really see how it would.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.