Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

8s Charge Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8s Charge Setup

I finally did it. I am getting back into Pattern with a scratch built 8s electric setup. The plane is a scaled down version of the Gator Giles that I got plans for back when Gator was still around. I modified the wing to have double taper, moved the canopy forward, and made other changes. I'll be getting the laser cut parts next week, and will be getting the work shop prepared tomorrow.

Question; I just received 4x Zippy 4s4000mAh lipos, some 750mAh 2s reciever packs, and a GT Power A8 charger from HobbyKing. This charger has a port for an 8s balance connector, but HK (or anyone else for that matter) does not sell a 2x4s>8s adapter cable.[:@]. Do you guys running 8s setups make your own? How do you do this? Did I get the wrong charge setup?

Other info
AXI 4130-20
CC Ice 75 ESC
Jaccio 4.7v Reg (on order)
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 8s Charge Setup

I run 2 chargers ... that makes things easier.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

It's also safer.
WT
Old 10-31-2009, 11:09 PM
dreadnaut

Thanks, I went to a F5B event a few weeks ago and saw that they were all using dual 6s chargers on their 10s packs. I'd hate to have to change because it will put me over budget.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:38 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe better safe than sorry?
Old 11-01-2009, 03:49 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Should it not be possible to obtain 1 X 8S XH connector and 2 X 4 XH connectors (Assuming they are XH and not EH or even some more exotic balance connector) and take the first four wires from your 8S plug to your Nr 1 XH Lipo connector and the next four wires to your Nr2 XH Lipo connector? The batteries can remain connected in series and the batteris charged and balanced with no problems.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:36 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

Should it not be possible to obtain 1 X 8S XH connector and 2 X 4 XH connectors (Assuming they are XH and not EH or even some more exotic balance connector) and take the first four wires from your 8S plug to your Nr 1 XH Lipo connector and the next four wires to your Nr2 XH Lipo connector? The batteries can remain connected in series and the batteris charged and balanced with no problems.
I'm afraid thats what I will have to do. Still can't find an 8s xh. From what I know now, a dual charger set up would be preferred, but for now I have to go with what I have. I had to spend money on the wife for useless crap, so she will let me buy my "useless crap". I have a budget, and it does not allow me to change charge setups right now.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:52 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For simplicity, you could leave your 2 4S batteries seperate and charge/balance them in parallel as a single 4S. It would keep things very simple until you can obtain a second charger.

Although, making a balance adapter for 8S should not be that difficult it the charger has directions on connectivity.

Woodie
Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Not a good idea imho.
If just one lead is faulty or there is a disconnection to one cell the other lipo picks up a dangerously high voltage and could cause a fire. Paralell charging is never a good ideal with lipos.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Purchase an inexpensive Blinky balancer or equivalent, plug one pack's balance lead into the charger, the other's into the Blinky then go ahead and charge them in series.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Jim Schwagle

Purchase an inexpensive Blinky balancer or equivalent, plug one pack's balance lead into the charger, the other's into the Blinky then go ahead and charge them in series.
Is this it?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRZ9
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Jim Schwagle

Yup, that's it.

Although Tower is usually very competitive pricewise, I've gotten my 2 blinkys for $25 or less (One for LIPO's and one for A123's). If you have a local hobby shop that you frequent, they might get it for you for less than $30.

Edit for addition..
Old 11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
dreadnaut

Thanks I'll try it. A new LHS opened across the street from where I work. I had the guy order me a JR ds9411sa and he told me "it will be here tomorrow". This went on for a week and a half. I got one off the internet. I went in there Friday for some CA, and the guy did not seem to recognize me. I hope he is getting a lot of business on the web, He hasn't got me to go out of my way.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:01 AM
ntsmith

This guy wants to charge 2 X 4's in series/parallel.
I quote from a webpage at airthunder.com :
"This Battery Balancer is specially designed for Lithium Batteries.
The balancer accepts one to six cell lithium battery packs."
so to purchase a "Blinky" would be a complete waste of money.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

This guy wants to charge 2 X 4's in series/parallel.
I quote from a webpage at airthunder.com :
''This Battery Balancer is specially designed for Lithium Batteries.
The balancer accepts one to six cell lithium battery packs.''
so to purchase a ''Blinky'' would be a complete waste of money.
I believe the idea was to use the balancer on the charger for one pack and the blinky for the other pack.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
dreadnaut

I think I'll just have to visit the SD Silent fliers field again and see how those guys set up. I'm a little peeved, and somewhat confused that someone would make 8s and 10s, chargers, then recommend against using them, and not provide the connectors to do so.

Jim S, could you maybe put up a schematic of how the Blinky would work in this case?
Old 11-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Jetdesign

FOUND IT!!![link=http://www.tedani.com/balance-adapter-expansion-board-for-gt-power-a8-charger-p-1260.html]expansion board[/link]

EDIT: fixed wrong link
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Jim Schwagle

The balance plug from one pack would be plugged into the balance port on the charger, the other packs balance plug would be plugged into the blinky, while charging both connected in series. Each pack would be balanced while charging. If you don't have multiple chargers, this is the most straightforward way I know of to do it, if you want to balance while charging.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

FOUND IT!!![link=http://www.tedani.com/balance-adapter-expansion-board-for-gt-power-a8-charger-p-1260.html]expansion board[/link]

Just to clarify, this link is to a balancing board made specifically for the OP's charger. It will plug into his current charger and allow a combination of any two lipo batteries, with sum less than or equal to 8S, to be charged together. If you go to the site and click on the 'chargers' button on the left, you can get a balance board for a few other chargers as well.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
dreadnaut

Just to clarify, this link is to a balancing board made specifically for the OP's charger. It will plug into his current charger and allow a combination of any two lipo batteries, with sum less than or equal to 8S, to be charged together. If you go to the site and click on the 'chargers' button on the left, you can get a balance board for a few other chargers as well.
There is a lot of info out there, and this leads to some confusion on my part. This is what I get so far. Charging two 4s or 5s in series (8s or 10 s) is not recommended, but if it must be done, the two packs should be the same cell count, c rating, and capacity (mAh). One of the guys I talked to at the F5 event was Steve Neu, who I hear is a pretty knowledgeable guy. He was using two 6s chargers to parallel charge his flight packs. If I had seen that before ordering my stuff, I would have ordered a different setup.

I have just ordered the balance adapter from Tedani. I will probably go to a paralel charge setup at a later date, but for now will use this setup. Woodie mentions a parallel charge setup that sounds like he is talking about a single charger. Maybe I misunderstood. The parallel setup I saw those F5 guys using seemed to involve two chargers and a single balance board.

Thanks all for the input.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, I was referring to parallel charging/balancing 2 packs with a single charger. However, it looks like you have found the appropriate balance adapter and now you can use your charger as designed.

Woodie
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
MarkGrabowski

Will this work?

http://www.rcaccessory.com/2bantame-...gesave490.aspx

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69281.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1322317  
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
dreadnaut

Possibly, but I have received the balance board from Tedani, and hope to get it all hooked up and tested next weekend weekend