Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

CA Models ONAS

Old 11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CA Models ONAS

INTRO
CA Models is proud to introduce the new Onas 2 meter swept wing monoplane for the 2010 season. This model was designed by George Olivella in conjunction with CA Models. George is the same individual that designed the Brio. The Onas is the first model that will be offered in an all painted version with a vacumn bagged balsa fuselage. . For more details on the construction, versions, and pricing it will all be on their web site in the near future.

FLYING
I have had the opportunity to trim and fly this model over the past three weeks and I must say it is very impressive. We have tried several different wing plan forms as well as different aileron and tip shapes and have ended up with what we feel is a really good combination for all classes. As far as mixes go we have it down to 1.5 percent and that can be zero but I like the feel of it with the CG just a little aft. It does have side force generators but they are very small compared to the ones we have used on the Passport in the past.

I am sure the first question from many will be do they make a difference? Our feeling is yes, because they do help lock the wings in windy conditions as well as improve the knife edge performance when it comes to the angle the fuse flies at.. Other then that the SFG´s do not do anything.

SETUP
Since I have been able to spend some quality time here and really trim this model out before it was offered I am hoping that this helps whoever decides to try one. It is a very standard setup as far as pattern planes go but my program will be included for the Futaba guys (Sorry haven’t flown it with a JR yet, however Tony F. will be within the next few weeks) as well as very specific instructions for the installation of the radio, motor, etc.

QUALITY & WEIGHT
I am really impressed with the all painted models, they are very close to the Chinese counterparts and getting better every day. With the bagged balsa fuse and careful attention to some other details we have been able to reduce the overall weight of all the models by 3 ounces and still counting. What this means is with a Neu motor or Hacker and 5000 Mah TP batteries making the 5 kilos limit shouldn´t to be a problem

ACCESSORIES
This Model as well as any new models now come with the following accessories.
1. 6 Gold anodized aluminum control horn with ball bearing clevis´s and screws
2. Carbon Landing Gear and Wing/Stab tubes
3. Carbon Spinner
4. Wing Adjusters/Stab Adjusters
5. Wood Shipping Boxes
6. Laser cut battery trays and firewalls for inrunners and outrunners
7. Firewall for YS/OS template
8. Ultralight Wheels
9. Chip Hyde Program for the 14MZ (JR 12X coming soon)
10. Wing Stab, and Fuse Covers

This is about it for now, I need to get back to my new one. I have included a few pictures and like I say keep checking www.camodel.com.ar for more info as well as pricing, version, and delivery options. Oh yes I almost forgot they are opening a new online store that accepts Visa and Mastercard as well as PayPal starting next month.

I will try to keep checking back here on RCU while I am in Argentina to answer any questions that might come up until I head back to the sandbox. Todd and Tony are also a good source for info as well as emailing to CA direct.

The planes have been good for the last few years, now they are going to even better…….

Later

Chip
Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Passport1

Default RE: CA Models ONAS

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32418.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1319368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50773.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1319369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82405.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1319370   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80897.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1319371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz28986.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1319372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52384.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1319373  
Old 11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Passport1

The last pic is the Visa. still along way from being finished but its coming together exactly like I have had in my head for the past year. Back to carving.

Chip

Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the pics. What construction method is used on the Onas wings?

Keep hacking away at the Visa.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:36 AM
Passport1

The wings are balsa foam at this time with silk span. The wood he has is very light as is the foam. We are working with Dave Snow on a new wood wing that Dave have developed for the Passport/Visa and hope to offer this in the future as an option. As it stands now the painted wings on the Onas are coming out just a little lighter then the Ora cover wings.

Chip

Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Looks like a winner.

BHolsten
Old 11-24-2009, 09:58 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chip,

I know you said that pricing is yet to be determined, but with all that is included with a fully painted airframe, are you trying to hit the same price point as the Passport? Or higher?

Also, the lasercut firewalls for electric motors... are those going to be ready for the motors to be bolted on directly or in the case of the inrunners, ready for soft mount, either your Dad's or say the Budd mount?

Plane grows on me looks wise, but I still can't get used to the swept wing look that seems to be back in vogue. You said you tried a few different wing planforms, what was the benefit to the swept wing?

Regards,

Tom M
Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 PM
cchariandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chip, you commented that you experimented with different wing plan forms...what flight characteristic was improved by adding sweep?

Colin.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Passport1

The price for the all painted models is going to be approximately $500.00 per model more expensive. As for the swept wing this model always had that, what we tested was different tip shapes, dihedral, and the angles of the SFG´s.

As for the swept wing I was not a huge fan of it when I arrived but it has grown on me. The plane looks really good in all rolling manuevers as well as snaps and spins. I think, the bottom line is going to be personal preference.

When I say Laser cut firewalls, what I mean is each model will come with several different types of firewall. Hopefully this will give a good start on mounting whatever type of motor/engine combo (within reason) that is out there. The inrunners will be for a soft mount like my dads. I have never seen one of the Budd mounts so I don´t know for sure the answer to that. We will be happy to add that template to the mix if someone has one for a passport or like type plane I can go off of.

Hope this helps

Chip
Old 11-25-2009, 12:01 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I'll be getting an Onus soon. I really like swept wings, but of course I started flying pattern with a Phoenix VI!
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

I had many Phoenix's, an Epicure and a Finesse. All had sweeps. Seemed like they all flew pretty well.It's funny how what's old is becoming new again.
Tony does the plane come unpainted? Thanks, Mike
Old 11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

CA Models has addded the Onas to there site, go to http://www.camodel.com.ar for more info.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Hi Mike,

Yes, it comes also as an ARC and a Kit. I'm getting the film covered wings and stabs version. Should be here within a couple of weeks.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Passport1

Update

The new vacumn bagged fuse's will be at the shop tomorrow. I have not seen them yet but the glass guy has told Marcelo they are gorgeous, super stiff and 30 grams lighter then anything we have had in the past. I also just finished a set of Onas wings myself and ready to cover with side SFG's they weigh in at 295 grams. 10.5 ounces or there abouts. Marcelo says either finish (Ultrakote or Paint is approx 60 grams or 2.1 ounces per panel. Also just to be clear when I say I finished a set of wings, I mean I just grabbed a pre-sheeted set off the shelf, nothing special.

Other then that the Visa Plug went to the Paint shop today so finally my plug making ordeal is over with.<G> I think it was about 12 or 13 years ago when I made the Hydeout and I swore I would never do another one. I hope my memory doesn't get any shorter, lol 1 a decade is plenty.

More Onas pics tomorrow

C
ORIGINAL: Passport1

INTRO
CA Models is proud to introduce the new Onas 2 meter swept wing monoplane for the 2010 season. This model was designed by George Olivella in conjunction with CA Models. George is the same individual that designed the Brio. The Onas is the first model that will be offered in an all painted version with a vacumn bagged balsa fuselage. . For more details on the construction, versions, and pricing it will all be on their web site in the near future.

FLYING
I have had the opportunity to trim and fly this model over the past three weeks and I must say it is very impressive. We have tried several different wing plan forms as well as different aileron and tip shapes and have ended up with what we feel is a really good combination for all classes. As far as mixes go we have it down to 1.5 percent and that can be zero but I like the feel of it with the CG just a little aft. It does have side force generators but they are very small compared to the ones we have used on the Passport in the past.

I am sure the first question from many will be do they make a difference? Our feeling is yes, because they do help lock the wings in windy conditions as well as improve the knife edge performance when it comes to the angle the fuse flies at.. Other then that the SFG´s do not do anything.

SETUP
Since I have been able to spend some quality time here and really trim this model out before it was offered I am hoping that this helps whoever decides to try one. It is a very standard setup as far as pattern planes go but my program will be included for the Futaba guys (Sorry haven’t flown it with a JR yet, however Tony F. will be within the next few weeks) as well as very specific instructions for the installation of the radio, motor, etc.

QUALITY & WEIGHT
I am really impressed with the all painted models, they are very close to the Chinese counterparts and getting better every day. With the bagged balsa fuse and careful attention to some other details we have been able to reduce the overall weight of all the models by 3 ounces and still counting. What this means is with a Neu motor or Hacker and 5000 Mah TP batteries making the 5 kilos limit shouldn´t to be a problem

ACCESSORIES
This Model as well as any new models now come with the following accessories.
1. 6 Gold anodized aluminum control horn with ball bearing clevis´s and screws
2. Carbon Landing Gear and Wing/Stab tubes
3. Carbon Spinner
4. Wing Adjusters/Stab Adjusters
5. Wood Shipping Boxes
6. Laser cut battery trays and firewalls for inrunners and outrunners
7. Firewall for YS/OS template
8. Ultralight Wheels
9. Chip Hyde Program for the 14MZ (JR 12X coming soon)
10. Wing Stab, and Fuse Covers

This is about it for now, I need to get back to my new one. I have included a few pictures and like I say keep checking www.camodel.com.ar for more info as well as pricing, version, and delivery options. Oh yes I almost forgot they are opening a new online store that accepts Visa and Mastercard as well as PayPal starting next month.

I will try to keep checking back here on RCU while I am in Argentina to answer any questions that might come up until I head back to the sandbox. Todd and Tony are also a good source for info as well as emailing to CA direct.

The planes have been good for the last few years, now they are going to even better…….

Later

Chip
Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Passport1

Sorry I did not get some more pics up today, we went flying before the delivery service arrived. Tomorrow I am on my way to Isreal for training on a new UAV but I will be back in Ar. on or around the 12th. We did visit the paint shop tonight to check on the Visa and I am happy to say its finally looking like something. Marcelo says he will post the pics of the Onas on Mon.

Chip

Name:	Nl30196.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1322375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58472.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1322376  
Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 AM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I really like the looks of the Onas. Does anybody know how much the kit will run? What is the possiblility of ordering just the fuse and and gear (equivalent of a kit minus the wings and stabs?).

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:04 PM
CAMODEL

Here some pictures of the fuse baccum vagged fuselage .About 30 grams lighter, more stiff and perfectly flat-

more pics soon-

Marcelo

Name:	Db85161.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	1323855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie97908.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1323856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93693.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1323857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22210.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1323858  
Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
1bwana1

I just may need to get a Visa to go with my Passport....
Old 11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Rendegade

Hurr, funny.

Chip, I'm just a little curious, is that a "sub fin" on the visa under the canopy? What is it? enquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:05 PM
SByrd
My Feedback: (4)

Nice looking plane cant wait to see how the Visa turns out.

Byrd
Old 11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Passport1

Its not really a sub fin, but just the shape I want the fuse to be. The Visa is designed for strength and completely for electrics. That is why the bottom of the fuse has that shape. Others have made planes specifically for electric but to me they kind of always looked a little funny in the nose.

This is just my attempt at a super strong, light, and hopefully comestically pleasing design. I have spoken at great lengths to someone that I have a great deal of respect for when it come to aerodynamics and he is confident that this design will give me what I am looking for. The Visa is going to also have a one piece landing gear as well as a top hatch only. Marcelo is finishing the last few details on the plug today and tomorrow and then its off to the mold maker. I am currently in DC finishing my TS clearance and then I will leave Wed for Tel Aviv for a few days. I plan to go from there back to Argentina where we will finish the prototype and hopefully fly it before Christmas.

I will try to keep posting as we get closer to a finished airplane. By the way the Onas fuse looks awesome Marcelo. See you in a week or so.

Chip

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

Hurr, funny.

Chip, I'm just a little curious, is that a ''sub fin'' on the visa under the canopy? What is it? enquiring minds want to know.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
LCHelilover
My Feedback: (15)

It looks like the Onas is on you to get your Passport stamped with a Visa!

( Sorry I couldn't help myself)

G
Old 12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: LCHelilover

It looks like the Onas is on you to get your Passport stamped with a Visa!

( Sorry I couldn't help myself)

G
You know it. Its a hard choice for me between the two of them so I decided it was time to put my mind at ease. We will see. lol

Chip
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Passport1

Onas Update. I have just gotten back to Beunos Aires and I am super happy with the new Onas and Passport fuselages. Marcelo told me they were nice but I hadnt seen them finished until now. Daniel the guy that makes the fuselages has really outdone himself. Here are a few pics of how every fuse will look for now on.

The Visa will be here tomorrow and I will fly it by the end of the week. I will put some more pics tomorrow.

C

Name:	Us54708.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1334335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13707.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1334336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82717.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1334337  
Old 12-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Passport1

We have just gotten off the phone with George the Onas designer and he told us he just finished the first production ARF for his friend here in Buenos Aires. This was one of the last foam fuselages so keep in mind that is an extra 30 grams in itself. This model has all standard Futaba servos (2 ail, 2 elev, and 1 rudder) with the Plety and rhino 5000 battery. Its finished RTF weight is 4900 grams (10.85 pounds) I think thats pretty good concidering I just weighed the Rhinos compared to my TP 5000 and they are 70 grams more.

The only thing I do not know for sure is the weight difference between the plety and the inrunners if there is any. If somebody has the numbers I would appriciate it if you would let me know. Thats all for now my Visa and new passport landing gear just arrived and the fuse is due in about 1 hour.

Later

Chip

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.