Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Himax 6330-F3A Pattern Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Himax 6330-F3A Pattern Motor

I agree with Alex's recommendation, check your connections. About the only thing that could be wrong with the motor is possibly bearings creating drag and/or the magnets getting weaker. If the bearings need replacing, they will be noisy and the prop hub will have some slight looseness. Also, the motor will be getting hot if the bearings need replacing. If the magnets are getting weaker they have to have gone thru some pretty hot running. IIRC, the temp has to exceed 180F to start causing damage, but I could be wrong on that.

I have many, many runs on my Himax motors and they run just as powerful as when new. A tach and amp meter are the real tools to measure this.

Kirk, a 20x13 is not much prop for the Himax 200. It is a fairly low kV motor so it needs a larger prop to generate the watts we typically look for in a 2M plane. Also, as the ambient temps increase a prop that feels fine at low temps can start feeling a little 'doggy' as the air thins. It's not dramatic, but you can feel it.

Don
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Hey Archie,

When I flew your Wind Pro in the contest in 2010, I felt right at home with it. I like to fly a bit slower, as most people know and the Nue/plane combo was very confortable feeling. I think the battery usage was about the same between the two of us, if I remember correctly. I don't think I would have a problem with puffing good packs. I am using a Rhino 4900 20C pack and a True RC 5000 25C pack and usually have about 20-25% left in the packs when I recharge. Ofcourse; thats' on a average wind day. I have gone down to around 12% on really windy days for a 7 minute fight.

I am planning on using one of these mounts; http://www.espritmodel.com/universal...num-mount.aspx.

Let me know what you think about using one of these?

Bill
Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
KGSS28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don, I looked at all the connections. All I can see is a litthe black on the tips from the spark . They do not feel pitted or distorted . I did find a couple that the blade is loose in the plastic boby. I am using Deans are there better connectors to use ?

In reading your post about bearing replacement you talked about end play front to back. This motor has some, the only thing I can compare to is an Axi 5330 that has none that I can tell. I feel no side to side movement . I have not had a temp over 90.

Temp increase could be it we have been in the mid to upper 80 this week with pretty high humidity.

What props ? I liked the 20x13, the motor seems peppy and responive . I have a 20.5x14 that semed slugish to me. Neither props pull over 65-68 amps

Thanks for the help Kirk
Old 05-18-2012, 08:43 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Kirk

As the temps and humidity go up the prop bite will decrease, especially noticeable with weak batteries. Sometimes even noticeable during the course of a day. When I flew glow in the olden days, I thought this was due to the cumbustion process. Now I estimate that 2/3 power increase in cooler weather is due to prop bite. Maybe this is causing the sluggish performance you are observing.

John
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 AM
dapan
My Feedback: (2)

Hello all
My friend have the Himax HC6330-210 F3A motor.
Τoday after we heard a noise at the flying field we found has broken magnets.
Does anyone know if there are spare parts for this damage
Thanks in advance
Padelis
Old 03-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Rockomo_mi1
My Feedback: (1)

How old is the motor, and approximately how many flights?

..Rock..
Old 03-24-2013, 02:46 PM
dapan
My Feedback: (2)

the motor are 2 years old and has 120-130 flights
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Rockomo
My Feedback: (1)

Not many flights on the motor. You might try emailing Maxx products and see what they can do. [email protected] or [email protected]
Good Luck!

..Rock...

Old 04-17-2013, 12:01 PM
paphman
My Feedback: (3)

I am considering to replace the Eflite Power 160 in my Monolog with this motor.
Can anyone tell me if the mounting holes (4 outer holes mounted to firewall) of the X-mount is identical to the X-mount of the Eflite Power 160?

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM
luckymacy

ORIGINAL: paphman

Can anyone tell me if the mounting holes (4 outer holes mounted to firewall) of the X-mount is identical to the X-mount of the Eflite Power 160?

Thanks.
Paphman, did you consider the Hacker A60-7s V2 instead? It appears to be very similar to the Himax but from what I can tell a little lighter and a little more powerful but a lot cheaper, relatively speaking of course.

I saw the Hacker pull a Monolog around very nicely last weekend which is why I bring it up.

http://www.f3aunlimited.com/webstore...roducts_id=629
Old 04-17-2013, 06:17 PM
paphman

Hi Lucky Macy,

I actually bought that Hacker motor, but it is a bit too long. That cause the gap between the front of the cowling and spinner backplate too big (>10mm).
I really curious about what kind of modifications need to be done on the Monolog that you saw.

Paphman
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 AM
luckymacy

Send Arch Stafford a PM and ask as it's his wife's plane that is equipped this way. His user name is rcpattern.

When you find out, share the info! :-) I may be down this same path within a week myself.

Hi Lucky Macy,

I actually bought that Hacker motor, but it is a bit too long. That cause the gap between the front of the cowling and spinner backplate too big (>10mm).
I really curious about what kind of modifications need to be done on the Monolog that you saw.

Paphman
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

The easiest way is to get rid of the X-mount, or at least put it on the back of the firewall. Making the holes in the firewall for the center to match up is very easy. I would definitely keep the x-mount on it, but put it behind the firewall to give some extra support. The firewall isn't very thick and spreading the load is a good way to do it. I actually changed the firewall as it was just too thin. We just cut a new one and put it on, spacing it back slightly. It was very easy to do, but if you already have it installed, then just drill the holes to mount the motor directly to the firewall and put the x-mount on the back of it.

Arch
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Thanks.
Are you having issues with the E-flite? I am curious.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
paphman

Hi Joe,

No. The Power 160 works fine. It swings a 19x10 APC prop and have tons of power. I just want to try a lower kv motor with a bigger prop to see if there is any difference in performance or flying characteristics.

Hi Arch, I looked at the firewall last night to see if I can mount the motor directly to the firewall. Yes the firewall is too thin. But the major problem is there is a plywood plate to stiffen the back of the firewall.
I cannot put the X mount behind the firewall or drill the holes because the plywood plate is on the way.
Another thread is just started by LD24 about the Monolog. He took some photos which show the firewall area. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=11483564
Old 04-19-2013, 03:34 AM
cmoulder

Alternatively, you might just get rid of the X mount altogether by making a triangular ply sandwich and mounting the motor directly to the ply using the three small bolts that attach the motor to the X mount. I did this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10361753]on the Sickle[/link] and it is plenty strong and weighs a heck of a lot less than the X mount with standoffs/bolts/whatever.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Alternatively, you might just get rid of the X mount altogether by making a triangular ply sandwich and mounting the motor directly to the ply using the three small bolts that attach the motor to the X mount. I did this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10361753]on the Sickle[/link] and it is plenty strong and weighs a heck of a lot less than the X mount with standoffs/bolts/whatever.
I used a similar method on a converted Brio as per the recommendation of Jarvis of Maxx Products who imports these motors. It allows for the use of the supplied "cooling washers". The "X- mount" was totally eliminated as per his recommendation. My firewall is thicker (ACP Composites 1/4" end grain balsa with carbon fiber laminates on both sides) . Be certain to cut open air through passages that correspond to the motor and light ply donuts ( a bit larger than the size of the cooling washers ) beneath the cooling washers on the back of the mount.

Another trick to keep the laminate from crushing is to insert a length of alum. tubing that just fits over the motor bolts as a sleeve through the firewall. CA them in , making sure that they are no thicker than the width of the mount.

This setup has worked without any problems on the Brio and I have also done the same on my yet to be flown Griffin. That'll be held up for awhile because some other pilots have lost aircraft due to a wing structural problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Agree. You can save some weight that way. The motor is super smooth and a hard mount method works very well.

The only drawback is it is a little bit hard to adjust the throttle angle.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM
cmoulder

My firewall is thicker (ACP Composites 1/4" end grain balsa with carbon fiber laminates on both sides)
That is a good idea. I used 1/8" end grain with CF and it needed a little reinforcement later with a couple of CF rods because it was flexing a bit under full power, which is not acceptable at all. However, the CF rods did the stiffening trick and it is still solid after nearly 500 flights.