Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Castle Creations Phoenix Ice HV... send them in to CC.

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Castle Creations Phoenix Ice HV... send them in to CC.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Castle Creations Phoenix Ice HV... send them in to CC.

Hi,

In case you have not noticed, announced August 20.
Castle CreationsPhoenix Ice HV 60, Ice HV 80, Ice HV 120, Ice HV 160, Ice HV 160 Lite, Mamba XL and Hydra Ice HV 200 controllers:

"For your safety, we request that all customers cease operation of these controllers immediately. Send all of these controllers back to Castle for modifications required to improve the safety and reliability of these products. This recall includes all controllers labeled as V3"

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ydraicehv.html

(I have an ICE 100 and it is not affected but above makes me hesitant to Castle Creations present and future products.)

/Bo
Old 08-21-2011, 03:57 AM
Strat2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Castle Creations Phoenix Ice HV... send them in to CC.

The full wording of the notice is a little confusing to me....it says if you've been using the ESC for some time with no problems it's likely to continue to work fine. I've had mine since last October. Is there a date when the suspect components began to be used?

I still have two or three contests left in my season and sending the ESC back now will pretty much put me out of business.

Scott
Old 08-21-2011, 04:46 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I agree the wording in the recall is sort of ambiguous.

My hv ice 80 does not have the label v3 (on recall list) on it, serviced by CC around 4/2011, and does not have the "(amp rating ) 2" label (not on recall list).
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 AM
cmoulder

My Ice 80 HV also does not have the V3 label on it anywhere. And yes, I did dismount it and remove some Velcro from the back to check the sticky label there, as well as the ends, sides and the molded plastic piece.

I have about 10 flights on the unit with no overheating. I checked immediately after each landing.

Should I use Castle Link to check the version? Seems to me that "clearly labeled" means clearly labeled on the unit itself.

"""""The only controllers that are properly modified and are approved for operation will be labeled clearly as Ice 2 HV (Amp Rating), Mamba XL 2 and Hydra Ice 2 HV."""""

So mine doesn't have the V3 label, but also will not have the "Ice 2 HV" label -unless I send it in - so is it kosher?? CC needs to make this clear.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Rendegade

Mine has nothing about versions marked on it at all, so I guess I'm due for sending it in.

Sucks as it has to go all the way from Aus, to the US and then back again. Should have bought a JETI. I am a sad panda.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 AM
cmoulder

That's what I don't understand.

It says "units labeled as V3" - which mine is not - and then says that in the future all approved units must have the Ice 2 HV label.

So what about ours, which have no V3 label???

I am in the US but also will be ticked if I have to send it in. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago!!
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

I think the recall email mentioned that recently purchased units should be sent in. So your probably should do it.

The recall email tried to convince us that a defect ESC would short the battery upon connection and cause a fire. Anybody heard such a story?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Strat2003

. .<snip>. . ....it says if you've been using the ESC for some time with no problems it's likely to continue to work fine. . ..<snip>. . .
Scott
However. . . the next paragraph says that it can burst into flames at any point. That would really put you out of the contest season. I'm over-nighting two of mine (and grounding my contest planes at the same time - ugh. . .)
BTW - for those bashing CC over this, how do you think a certain "Hong Kong based direct marketing company" would have handled this? Anyone tried to return a bum battery?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:28 AM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

I think the recall email mentioned that recently purchased units should be sent in. So your probably should do it.

The recall email tried to convince us that a defect ESC would short the battery upon connection and cause a fire. Anybody heard such a story?
Go to the website that rhymes with "Are See Roups" and peruse the Castle manufacturer's forums. Several helicopter guys have burned up helos . . .
Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 AM
cmoulder

Grrr...[:@]

OK, got it packaged and ready to mail.

Should've stuck with the older HV 85 like on my other model which has over 200 flights on it. That controller doesn't even get warm when the weather is hot!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

This is the scoop right from Castle. ALL 80HV controllers need to go back. The V3 refers to a tag on the 120HV controllers and won't be found on any 80HV controllers. The new updated ones which will replace the returned ones will be identified by the "ICE 2" 80HV label on them.

"We know this is a big inconvenience but is a must for the safety of the
customers model (& pattern ships aint cheap) as well as there person."
Old 08-22-2011, 07:24 AM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Grrr...[:@]
OK, got it packaged and ready to mail

Should've stuck with the older HV 85 like on my other model which has over 200 flights on it. That controller doesn't even get warm when the weather is hot!
I don't think the problem is with them "getting hot", apparently there is a supplier that gave CC a bum component that causes the ESC to just burst into flames and glowing hot shrapnel even at startup.
There is a guy who's screen name is "Ub3r" over on "that other RC site" who seems very knowledgeable about how the magic smoke (flames & shrapnel) work in these things . . . .
And I'm right there with ya on the GRRRRRRRR.. . . . [:@]
Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Chris Moon

I give Castle credit for taking the "heat" and doing the right thing with the recall. I know many other companies that would say it will cost too much to recall the product and just deny there is any problem - happens more than you might think, and not just the cheapo knock off brands too.

I know it's really bad timing for them to do this but I do give them credit.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Call me crazy but I'm going to fly my airplane. Our contest is this weekend and I am not going to run scared and disable my plane. Of four CC 80s we have in our club we have not seen any problems. If my plane bursts into flames I guess CC can say they told me so.
I'll send it in after the season even if its a charred cinder.

RC
Old 08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
cmoulder

Rick, I had a similar thought myself, but I remember early on that in one of the threads on the F3A WC there were some photos of a very nice toasted (okay, BURNED) model, and if I recall correctly it was one of the European teams involved.

It'd be just my luck I'd blow it off and end up with a flying fireball in the middle of a reverse Cuban.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
pattratt

Chris
Where do we return them and what kind of turnaround are we looking at?
Dick
Old 08-22-2011, 10:19 AM
klhoard

ORIGINAL: cmoulder
. .<snip>. .
It'd be just my luck I'd blow it off and end up with a flying fireball in the middle of a reverse Cuban.
I'd give ya a 10 just for originality. . .
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Dick,

Go here for the website to fill out the form to return them. No idea on lead times. I know they were stocking up on components from talking to the guys last week to be ready for this recall.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ydraicehv.html

Archie
Old 08-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: RC11

Call me crazy but I'm going to fly my airplane. Our contest is this weekend and I am not going to run scared and disable my plane. Of four CC 80s we have in our club we have not seen any problems. If my plane bursts into flames I guess CC can say they told me so.

RC
Me too. Been waiting almost a year to make it to a contest, plane's been flying fine and ESC not even warm after flights - not sending in now to miss one, maybe even the only two contests I'll make all year.

I give CC credit and will continue to use their products. Every company has issues with growing technology - JR struggled with 2.4 stuff, Hitec struggled with some Aurora stuff, Castle is having a few issues.. No one is immune to challenges.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Jetdesign

Thank you for this thread, by the way. This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Ditto that Rick. I'm rolling dice!!! Going it on my own. Taking a walk on the wrong side of the street. Mike
ORIGINAL: RC11

RC
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 AM
dando

Hey guys! Here's a reply from CC and as F3AUnlimited stated, all CC ICE 80HV ESCs should be rechecked by Castle:
Nickolay,

All ICE HV controllers currently on the market are affected by the recall and should be sent in for repair. It includes all REV 2 and REV 3 and controllers with no marking. Again, any ICE HV 60, 80, 120 or 160 that are on the market are affected by the recall and must be sent in for repair, regardless or age, markings or number of successful flights. Failure to do so could put your airframe, yourself or others are risk of physical injury if the controller were to fail. We apologize for the inconvenience and frustration this will cause, but we do not want to see anyone hurt or any aircraft/heli's lost on an issue that can be resolved by sending it in for repair.
For EU users, here is where you should be able to send it, too:
CASTLE CREATIONS EUROPE BVBA
120HV SERVICE
GEELSEWEG 80
2250 OLEN
BELGIUM
I guess I'd have to send mine this week. I haven't used it yet, but it is the updated version of 80HV and I'll be better on the safe side.

Nickolay
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM
cmoulder

Ditto that Rick. I'm rolling dice!!! Going it on my own. Taking a walk on the wrong side of the street. Mike
Bad to the bone!?

I think I know how you feel. I know a few guys who have among them perhaps a couple of thousand flights or more with no problems.

Guess I'll stop after 10.[&o]

OTOH, it's a nice way to get an older one all spiffed up just for the price of postage.

And an undetermined wait time.[&o]
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Mike ,
On a little brighter note.. Any chance of you making the jaunt to St.C with that Sobeljesky character?

Oops, Its only 500 miles or 8 hrs.
Rick
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
pattratt

Thanks Arch
I have two of them one of which I have had for a year in Dec. the other is brand new 4 months ago and never flown. I think I will send in the newer one and continue to fly the old one until I get the replacement back.
Dick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.