Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

HobbyKing Batteries in USA

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Mvelez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyKing Batteries in USA

Hello Guys, tough days purchasing in HobbyKing directly. no stock, backorders, delays,lack of response and slow deliveries.1/3 of the TP price will not come without bumps.

do you guys know a shop in USAthat is stocking either Zippy, Rhino or Turnigy batteries? I mean the 5S 20C 5000 mAh we use in two groups for FAI?

i need a few JST-XH female conectors to male TP and some training packs

thank you!

Mvelez
Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HobbyKing Batteries in USA

F3Aunlimited will have a line of Lipo's that are going to be really good in about 2 weeks. They have been testing them all winter and the results look very promising. The will be more than the Hobby Kings but far less than TP's or FP's and should be a tad better and available here in the US. Look for the news on their website.
From the website:
3/30/2010

F3A Unlimited: We can now contirm that we will be selling flight batteries. Not just any li-po but the best performing batteries available today, made to our specifications and optimized in weight (585g per 5S-4900 pack) and performance for F3A flying. We have been testing these packs for months now prior to offering them, and our testers have been unanimous in calling them "the best batteries they have ever flown". Special intorductory pricing will be announced soon. The first packs will be arriving at the end of April.
link:
http://www.f3aunlimited.com/product_updates.html
Mike
Old 04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Mvelez

fantastic news from F3A Unlimited... we'll wait then...
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Magne

Not just any li-po but the best performing batteries available today
That is really strange, because this is what Hobby King writes about the Turnigy batteries:

The new number one in performance and price!
The new Turnigy Lipoly packs deliver full capacity at the said C rate.
You wont find a better deal in Lithium Polymer batteries anywhere!

Because I always believe that the marketing guys tell me, I assumed that Turnigy was the best. How could something else be better???
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Magne

Not just any li-po but the best performing batteries available today
That is really strange, because this is what Hobby King writes about the Turnigy batteries:

The new number one in performance and price!
The new Turnigy Lipoly packs deliver full capacity at the said C rate.
You wont find a better deal in Lithium Polymer batteries anywhere!

Because I always believe that the marketing guys tell me, I assumed that Turnigy was the best. How could something else be better???

The difference is that the comments I posted were quotes from our independent F3A pilot testers and not from a marketing dept sitting in an office.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM
lsjpeng

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had chance to see Chris tested the new battery from F3Aunlimited at Hollister a while ago. With the same Himax 6330-F3A prototype and APC 21x14. At full throttle, loading voltage of the new battery was ~37.8V, my Turnigy was ~37V, resulted to almost 200 rpm difference. Data tell everything.

Luke
Old 04-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Magne

Last year (September 19th) I tested my (then) new Turnigy 20C batteries, using a Hyperion E-meter:

Motor: Cyclon F3A with close to 400 flights
ESC: Jeti Spin 99, timing 10 deg.
Batteries: Turnigy 5s5Ah 20C (x2)
Propeller: APC-E 20x13
RPM: 6690
Current: 93.6A
Voltage: 38.1V

This was peak performance, after about 5 sec full throttle run. (Thereafter it is all downhill, of course. Didn't measure further down the slope. One of the big problems with posted data like this is that the test methods used vary significantly, and the results will also therefore vary a lot. If I held full power for 30 seconds continuously and then measured, the results would have been very different. There is no "Standard Test Method" established, so people including me, are quoting figures left, right and center and they don't always make sense. But those were my results.)

Magne

Magne
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

any feel for what the price will be on these compared to HK?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 AM
mups53

ORIGINAL: Magne

Last year (September 19th) I tested my (then) new Turnigy 20C batteries, using a Hyperion E-meter:

Motor: Cyclon F3A with close to 400 flights
ESC: Jeti Spin 99, timing 10 deg.
Batteries: Turnigy 5s5Ah 20C (x2)
Propeller: APC-E 20x13
RPM: 6690
Current: 93.6A
Voltage: 38.1V

This was peak performance, after about 5 sec full throttle run. (Thereafter it is all downhill, of course. Didn't measure further down the slope. One of the big problems with posted data like this is that the test methods used vary significantly, and the results will also therefore vary a lot. If I held full power for 30 seconds continuously and then measured, the results would have been very different. There is no ''Standard Test Method'' established, so people including me, are quoting figures left, right and center and they don't always make sense. But those were my results.)

Magne

Magne
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Turnegy packs are 47 ounces. Ouch way too heavy for any of my planes to make weight. The new" Power Unlimited" packs from F3AUnlimted are going to be less that 42 ounces all up. Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Magne

Yes, I think that is about the weight of them.
I mold my own models and make the weight suitable for the equipment I use, so that is not a problem.
But if you use commercially available models, then weight might be a problem, depending on which airframe you choose.
It is certainly good that there will be more "budget" choices available, because the batteries make up a significant part of the cost of flying electric pattern.

Magne
Old 04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
mups53

Hey I've used the Zippy 5000 15C at 42 ounces very successfully so I get the cost factor very well. I've also used the Rhino 4900 20C's but the 46 ounce weight only allows use in practice.
The Turnigy lipo's are a great value and your lucky if you can use them. Mike
Sorry for the ounces reference I'm old school and have to think to hard to compute grams.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Mvelez

hello guys! I'll post my question again: is anybody stocking zippys or turnigy in USA so we do not have to purchase them directly form HK?

thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Jetdesign

Barn Speed Hobbies in Lee, Ma sells them, and they ship.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:44 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mvelez

hello guys! I'll post my question again: is anybody stocking zippys or turnigy in USA so we do not have to purchase them directly form HK?

thanks!
Take a look at Blue LiPos from Hobbypartz. I ordered a set on a Wed. and got them on Friday. 5S 20C 5000 mAh for $57.

Jim
Old 04-21-2010, 05:17 PM
bedowinn

Take a look at Blue LiPos from Hobbypartz. I ordered a set on a Wed. and got them on Friday. 5S 20C 5000 mAh for $57.

Jim
[/quote]

Same here. I got mine in 2 days.
I ordered rhinos from Hobbyking/city on 4/15, still waiting for them to ship.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Jetdesign

Have any of you guys weighed those Hobbypartz Blue batteries? Just curious what the weight difference is between them and HK's batteries. I've been waiting probably 2 mos. now for a couple of sets of 5s batteries from HK.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:11 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
I've been waiting probably 2 mos. now for a couple of sets of 5s batteries from HK.
I've been waiting on HK too. If anybody has a used 10s pack they would like to part with cheap. Please PM me. As a Sportsman pilot I don't need anything great. Having only 2 flight packs is putting a crimp in my practice sessions. Send me a PM if you have a pack at a good price.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

I just received mine today - 1242g... with their stock connectors on them. They are plastic. I'm since removed them and put bullet connectors on two leads... the other two are soldered together to make the pack a 10s pack. They are probably a little less than 1242g now. Pretty good weight for 5000mah packs that cost $57.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Mvelez

I have one battery composed by  two Zippy lightmax  5000 mAh 5S 20C wired in series in order to get 10S. fully wired and ready to fly, mine is 1246g

also have four packs (to make to batteries) stuck in HK a month and a half ago and no idea when are they going to arrive (still in backorder). if anybody knows when is HK going to ship i'd appreciate (i get no answer at my emails to hobbyking)
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine weigh 1239 grams or 43.7 ounces.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

M Velez.

I spoke to HK last night, you have to call the US 1800 number after 8pm or something like that, the timer in the customer service window will let you know when they open 9am teir time.

I ordered on 4.15 and they said it should ship out next week sometime... maybe. hahaha

So today I orderd a set from HobbypartZ.com

Chuck
Old 04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

Just got an email that my order had been packed from HK and should ship within 48 hrs.

Good Luck Mike!

Chuck
Old 04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
swlarcham

Chuck
Based on my recent experience , you should get your order in about 10 days.

I placed an order with HK on 4-9 , was notified of it ready for shipment on 4-14 and it arrived this past Monday.
Eddie
Old 04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Mvelez

Hello Chuck! my finger is swollen from dialing that &%$&%## 1800 number. I have tried the US toll free, the direct china number, spain,gemrany, etc...

i am just waiting for my batteries anxiously because our qualifying tournament for WC muncie 2011 is on july and i need to practice!

i'll let you know guys when HK  has the decency of delivering the last batteries i'll ever buy from them.

see ya!

Mvelez 
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Jetdesign

I think the issue is just with Hobby City moving to a new location. Many people have been using them, a lot, and not having these problems. I got all of my orders from them within 10 days so far, except for this one battery order.

That being said, I've only got one set of batteries for the start of this season [&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.