Old 04-21-2010, 06:19 PM
2Sunny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 12X bulletin. Must read for 12X owners.

I don't know about you guys, but I rarely get around to other forums so if something important came up I wouldn't catch it. That's why even though this topic is not truly pattern related except for the fact that I know a bunch of us use the JR 12X, I felt it would be worthwhile posting a note in this forum as well.

Today after one of my flights I carried my plane and transmitter back to the table where I placed the plane down behind the restraining stands and set my transmitter down. The moment I set my transmitter down it shut off. The plane sensing a lost signal turned the motor on to flight idle. Needless to say I almost had a heart attack. Fortunately I simply removed the canopy and unplugged the battery. The scary part is what if the transmitter had shut off while I was in the air?!? After pulling the airplanes battery plug I immediately picked up the transmitter and tried the on/off switch several times. Nothing happened. The transmitter remained dead. I flipped it over, opened the battery cover and pushed on the battery slightly. It moved a millimeter or two and the transmitter turned back on [X(]

Just now I did a search and found this bulletin on Horizon Hobby:

JR 12X Battery Installation Bulletin

It has come to our attention that some users have experienced the 12X battery pack becoming loose after charging or setting the transmitter down jarring the battery. To add additional security, apply 2 thin foam adhesive strips inside the battery compartment as shown in the photos. Small strips of double sided foam tape can also be used without removing the backing facing the battery pack so that the battery can still be removed if desired. We apologize for any inconvenience.

The foam pads are in the back of my transmitter already!

Joe
Old 04-21-2010, 07:21 PM
Jason Arnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 12X bulletin. Must read for 12X owners.

G'day Joe,

This points to three issues..

1. Why do you have a failsafe with low idle? I would think throttle off/cut is a safer option.
2. Why don't you have an external arming facility for your ESC/Motor? This is a safety issue!
3. Why on earth would you use JR (Junior Radio)?

Lucky you had this happen on the ground as it could have been very ugly. Wonder if JR(Junior Radio) would compensate you for a big loss? Begs the question....

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 PM
2Sunny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jason!

Dude, I couldn't agree with you more on 1 and 2. Honestly, I feel like I've been "drinkin' from a fire hose" for months now 'cuz it seems like I learn something new every day. I did not setup my system so I admit to failing to know all the details, but I now feel a much stronger need to understand the "nitty-gritty" details of my radio, rx, and esc. I would want a failsafe mode to be power OFF and all servos neutral, but obviously that wasn't the case. Also I have been beating up on Chris about an arming plug and because of the weight consideration versus the number of instances where it would be helpful he is not in favor, but this has changed my mind totally and I already ordered one to put in my Delro.

As to "Junior Radios", I admit to a strong bias against that "other" company having seen several total data losses on competition day , but here again todays events are bringing everything into question. I purchased the radio only weeks ago, which is long after the Bulletin came out so my question is why the heck was this NOT recalled and modded by JR. To me this is NOT trivial.

Cheers Mate!

I just like saying that even though I really can't pull it off since a yankee accent just doesn't do it justice

Joe
Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
2Sunny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

By the way what the heck time is it Down Under? Are you online before work or in the middle of the night?

Just curious.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Jason Arnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

G'day Joe,

It's 11am down here.... My last day of work till next Wednesday. I'm off to the Australian Masters with a few mates. Weather looks like it will be a carbon copy of last years event. Ask Jason Schulman what that was like.... [&:]

I use an Emcotec safety switch for arming my model. They weigh 45 grams and the switching mechanisim is actually magnetic. They are a great little device and it allows you to quickly disconnect the battery without taking the canopy off. No spark either! Most people down here use Deans plugs on the side of the fuse. With this you get a big spark let alone the force required to plug them in and pull them out on the side of your fuse. Eventually the plug must be replaced due to carbonisation.

I use neither JR (Junior Radio) or Futaba. I use Multiplex... I do use Futaba servos though.

As you say, use motor off and neutral for your failsafe.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM
2Sunny

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[link=http://www.hkm-models.com/Emcotec%20Switches.html]Emcotec 60/120[/link]

It'll be on my plane within 2 weeks

Old 04-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Jason Arnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's the one I'm using. I'm probably the only person using one in a pattern model in Australia but I believe the Europeans use them a lot.

I even shortened all the cables to save weight too! Even the magnet cable has been halved in length. I have acess to a crimp tool and the pins etc.

One thing is for sure... I don't miss the spark when connecting batteries!

Make sure you get the 60 Volt one!

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

G'day Joe,

It's 11am down here.... My last day of work till next Wednesday. I'm off to the Australian Masters with a few mates. Weather looks like it will be a carbon copy of last years event. Ask Jason Shulman what that was like.... [&:]

Cheers
Jason.
Man I hope it gets better than last year... not very fun... well for flying. Good luck and hope you take pics and report back. Tell the guys (and gals) hello from me.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Jason Arnold

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will do Jason.

Cheers
Jason.. Sounds like I'm talking to myself...[&:]