Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

OOPS?

Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OOPS?

I was out flying today and had a momentary laps of good sense. I managed to connect my Thunder Power 1010C charger up incorrectly and poof[sm=confused.gif] A spark in the area of the cooling fan, a wisp of of smoke and that was that.

Now I need to get it repaired and that raises a few questions;

1. Is it serviceable? I would assume it is but until now never needed to find out.
2. Where is the best place to send it?
3. Is this one of those situations where it is almost as costly to have it repaired as it would be to replace it?
4. Since I am going to have to sink a few bucks into another charger, is there another brand or a latest and greatest upgrade type of charger I should consider instead?

I was planning on running two chargers (and still will) so my tendency is to stay with a matching set. I have another TP1010C and balancer set that is still fully functional. The balancer I run with the smoked one is still good.

Does anyone have one they want to sell... Cheap?

Thanks
Anthony
Old 04-29-2010, 08:40 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OOPS?

Anthony...OUCH

I would think Thunder Power would be a good place to start for service.

Are you coming down to St. Clairsville any time soon? Rick said something about the Clevelnad guys coming down to fly.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't sure if TP did their own repairs or had a distributor handle that.

I have no problem driving down for a practice session. I am planning to get in as many flights as possible before the first contest. I was under the impression that Rick was thinking about heading our way for some practice. We have hosted a number of the D-4 guys already and at times get a pretty good group going (4 or 5 active pattern flyers).

If you guys plan a practice session one weekend I will drive down.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'day Anthony,

Which part of the charger did you connect incorrectly input power?

Is the charger still in warranty? If it's still in warranty then I'd send it to TP for repair/assesment.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
lectrictech
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1010C that went into some sort of self test mode and would just shut off. I contacted TP in NV and they replaced the charger for 1/2 price. Not bad considering I got the charger 2nd hand. For the price I don't think you can buy another brand that will compair.