Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Contra Rotating Propeller Drive for f3a 2m Pattern Planes

ORIGINAL: Brenner

Hey Greg,

I think the the split rudder should work quite well. I wonder if the split could be mixed with throttle. Also, using just one side should go a long way to reducing rudder sensitivity and making the rudder more precise.

Brenner ...
Brenner thats a good idea about mixing the rudder to the throttle. I am assuming you would want it work as split at full power gradually becoming one as you throttle back. I need to think on this a little.

Anyway the reason I logged in tonight was to mention that we are going to be doing some flying in Bakersfield this weekend. Leon said he would open the field for anyone that wants to come do some practice. Steve H. I expect you for sure as I have the new props to try on the contras and we need your input.

I can't wait its been to long, so I am driving over Thursday from Yuma. I think it would be cool if we could get 10 or 12 guys out to fly, critique and most importantly, just BS.

The Field will be all ours from about 11 on Sat. til dark, and all day Sunday if need be. Pass the word everyone is welcome

C
Old 01-23-2012, 03:36 AM
jnred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez that sounds like a lousy weekend, lets see Melbourne to LA / Hire Car/ Model Box nah I already know I can't afford it.
Visited Bakersfield to chat with John Harmon on the way to Reno last year, it was perfect flying weather and it has that flat perfect aviation site feel about it.
I'll be thinking about it while flying at the local, sounds cool.
Cheers
Greg Hede
Australia
Old 01-23-2012, 06:42 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad timing for me. My drive is out of action right now. I had a motor melt down ( literally) and it damaged my drive unit. I'm sending it back to Brenner next week. I can come up Sunday if guys are going to be flying that day. We have a big family event in Saturday so I can't make it in Sat.

I had just converted my contra- visa back to a split rudder. I have one flight on it but it sure felt nice. The rudder was a lot smoother. I'm looking forward to getting it back in the air.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Brenner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm glad to hear that the split rudder is doing good things, because I'm buying one of Todd Blose's Deja-Vus that has a split rudder.

Brenner ...
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 AM
shannah

Hi Brenner,

I am not sure how the Deja Vu flies with the split rudder. It is a good setup on the visa and I liked it on my standard and now on the contra setups. I would leave a gap of 1/4" - 3/8" at neutral so it always has a bit of an opening. I did that on both my visa's. I think it helps the stability. I had the gap set to about 5/8"" or so on my contra and I will bring it back to about 3/8"

As for mixing rudder with throttle, I wouldn't recommend doing that. It might have unintended characteristics for things like the stall turn, rolling loops, knife edge loops etc. I just use a switch to toggle it on/off.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM
wattsup
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Steve, just out of curiosity, was this "motor melt down" a result of over-amping the ESC in turn destroying the Neu F3A motor? Also, was this the "new" Neu F3A motor? Also, did the ESC survive or melt down also? I'm probably one of many standing in the wings with a future interest in using the Neu F3A and CD unit combination and would really like to know. Thanks, Everette
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
shannah

Hello Everette

At this point, I don't know the answers for the cause. I hope to have some info back shortly. The ESC is fine (thank goodness since it is the only Castle ESC I have left). It was the new generation motor from Neu. I'm running one of the new style Neu's in my Nuance, procured at about the same time, and it is running great.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:03 PM
wattsup

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, thanks for your response. I realize it could be any one of a number of possibilities including this motor's capacity to "handle the load" when used with the CD unit. I sure hope I am wrong! I like others have used the older Neu F3A motor with good results (using a single prop) and had very few problems. Please continue to keep us all posted. Hopefully this is an isolated incident. Everette
Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Passport1

Well today was the day the new APC props arrived and they look great. I cannot believe how stiff they are even though they are much thinner then their standard props. They are also lighter then I thought they would be. I don't have a gram scale yet but I can tell when hold one of each type they are not much heavier.

APC says the stiffness is due to the increased angle in the blade and that makes sense. Of course I was a little nervous on the first run up but that was all for not. They were smooth as glass and the amp draw was within a half amp of the modified carbon props I have been running. I was finally able to get a couple trim flights in late this afternoon and I am very pleased with the performance. We should get a bunch more flying this weekend and after I talk to Brenner I will report back on Sunday.

I know a few guys are coming tomorrow and the forecast is for Sunny and clear so we should have a good time. This weekend also marks the return of the Caglia or should I say Dr. Caglia.

It should be interesting to watch you and Matt K. push each other all year. Both guys are here so we should have some idea by the end of the weekend. Ding Ding

Old 01-28-2012, 02:00 AM
jnred123

Chip
I may have missed an earlier post but do have APC making props for the contra?
What sizes did you have them make and what material.
That sounds like a cool weekend BTW.
Cheers
Greg
Australia
Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Brenner

Hey Chip,

This is excellent news! I had some concerns about APC props being heavier, and less stiff than carbon fiber props, but now that you've successfully flown them, I'm really glad to hear that my fears have all been unfounded. (sometimes it's real nice to be proven wrong ..)

If you have the time, would it be possible to see some pictures of these props? I'd be especially interested in seeing a top view, and a profile view of both props.

Brenner ...
Old 01-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Steve Burgess and I flew over to Ireland at the weekend from Scotland to examine and fly the Contradrive at the invitation of Brian Carolyn and Paul Houlihan. On hand was Angus Balfour who flew the Contra into the semis at the World Champs last year.

This was a particularly useful exercise as Steve and I both have first hand experience of the Aries which Paul is flying, both with outrunners and conventional gear drives.

The Contra is obviously an extremely well made and thought out unit and we were both very impressed with the ease with which it was possible to fly in a precise and compact manner. The most obvious advantage over a conventional power unit is that the model feels like it is flying at constant speed. Power changes don't do much for the speed but allow radii and pulls over the top to be controlled far more easily.

Thanks once more to Brian and Paul, Brenner, please monitor your emails for our orders.

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58723.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1720616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73879.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1720617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60906.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1720618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74869.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1720619  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:05 AM
serious power

Hi Malcolm,
It was great having you guys over.
It was interesting to watch how quickly style was adapting to accommodate, or perhaps I should say to get the best out of, the drive.
I do not want to put words in your mouth by saying too much.
You might elaborate some more on the experience for the readers here as I think it is interesting to get a fresh perspective , especially from people as experienced as you and Steve.
You are welcome at all times.

Brian
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 AM
serious power

Got an error code and my post x 3 ???
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM
serious power

??
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM
RC_Pattern_Flyer

It posted ok, that happens to me as well sometimes, it says you cant post, then you posted more than once, annoying.

Chuck
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Brenner

Hey Malcom,

That Ventura, and the Nuance both look awsome. Those guys are really meticulous with their installations. Did you get the chance to fly both planes? If so, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion as to how they both fly, and what differences there are between the two.

Also, which do you think will ultimately be better with the Contra, a biplane layout, or a monoplane layout?

Brenner ...
Old 01-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Roberto B.

Is there a web site where I can get all the info and purchase the contra drive? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brenner, the monoplane in the pics is Paul's Aries. As he flies JR and so do both Steve and I it was easier to set up.our transmitter to that model. Brian's bipe is Futaba equipped and while we took along a spare JR receiver we decided the limited weather window we had was better used flying the Aries. So at this point I can't comment on the pros and cons of each layout.

What I can say watching the Brian fly the Ventura is that the Contra allows both layouts to be flown in a very compact and controlled way which is difficult for us mere mortals to achieve with a conventional drive system.

I will comment more when I get my own setup in my Asyuler going.

Malcolm
Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 PM
shannah

We had a great flying day today at Arvin (Bakersfield). I met Chip, Matt and Jim Kimbro, Mike Caglia and Leon Robison at the field for a day of great practice flying. Chip had installed the new APC props on Leon's Contra Drive Visa.

The APC props were pretty impressive. They were quieter than the stock Contra Drive Carbon props. And, the props had a higher horizontal speed and still allowed a good pace for downline speed. A few things stood out on these props. 1) they were pretty stiff in comparison to the CF Contra Props (I tried to twist them flat against the pitch and they seemed to my uncalibrated hands to be about as stiff as the CF props in that regard), 2) they were quiet and they didn't have the same syncopating noise pattern, 3) the sample we weighed wasn't that much heavier, and 4) power draw was pretty comparable to the stock props.

I'll post pics when RCU lets me. It is just sitting there churning for minutes so I can't do it right now.

The labels on the props show front prop= 20.2x20.5. Back= 20x22.5.

We weighed the front prop (easiest to take off) at the field. It weighed 85g vs 65g for the CF. The rear will be a bit more I'm sure because there is more plastic on the hub. After a flight the motor was 110F, ESC was 87F, and battery was 93F. Ambient temp was approx 65F.

All in all, these are pretty nice and are likely to be a good alternative. Don't ask me about availability, that's Brenner and Chip's dept.

It was really fun flying with the guys today and it jump started my enthusiasm for the year, that's for sure. I look forward to Phoenix in Feb.

Steve.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
shannah

here's a pic

Name:	Wu61020.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1720862  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
shannah

One more pic, this is the rear props

Name:	Jh14975.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1720863  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Brenner

Very good looking props! I can't wait to try them.

Brenner ...
Old 01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Brenner

Very good looking props! I can't wait to try them.

Brenner ...
Those are yours and Steve is going to send them with his drive this week. I think all were going to do is add a half inch to the front prop and they will be readily available through Brenner. Amp draw on the ground is 75 at initial run up but then creeps to 80 after the batteries warm up.

C
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 AM
serious power

Hi Guys,
What gear set were you driving those with.
Re the weight that's say 90+85= 175g
Brenner's CF; 50+45=95G - that's 80g extra - too much for my model.
However it's great to see that these options are being explored/opened up.
Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.