grotow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brenner,
I have been flying an Inspire the last couple of years and would like to try another airframe. What would you recommend for intermediate to advanced classes?

Gary
Old 10-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Gary,

I think the plane I'm flying now is a pretty good match for a Contra Drive, and will perform very well in the intermediate and advanced classes..

I am flying an Allure with a V4 Contra drive, a Jeti Mezon 90 ESC, and 5100 mah high voltage packs from f3aunlimited. I am also using 23" props, which requires me to use extra long Falcon landing gear.

I believe that the latest version of the Allure has had its landing gear redesigned and now they are stronger and longer, so the landing gear change probably isn't needed. My setup makes weight easily, but my packs only weight 1030g. With Thunderpower 5000 mah packs I am about 10g under 5kg.

This plane tracks very well, and has excellent yaw stability. I am also not using any mixing except for a slight downline mix. I can fly F17 with no problem, but the knife edge half loop requires me to add considerable power as I come down in order to maintain lift, and I have found planes that fly this maneuver better.

It snaps well, but the snap is slower than some of the planes that have Spark wings. I find that I typically get better snaps when I do them at reduced power because the snap isn't fast enough for the plane to maintain track at full power. Half throttle snaps work fine though. Doing two snaps opposite is a challenge because too much forward momentum is lost in the first snap if the plane is flying slow, and it's hard to maintain track if the plane is flying too fast..

These are only issues with the FAI F pattern, and planes that do these things better are going to have other compromises.

In its present form I think the Allure is an excellent choice for all classes up from intermediate to the f3a P pattern, and it is also an excellent match for the Contra.

Brenner ...
Old 10-07-2017, 09:55 PM
TonyF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can attest that the BJ Craft Agenda is another excellent choice. Before it I was also flying an Inspire and I wasn't sure anything would fly better than that. But the Agenda flies everything I have done with it very well. Mine is V4 powered but I have also seen this model fly very well with a V3. No issues with prop clearance with the stock landing gear. Also, no issues with weight as the airframe is quite light.

I have a build thread on the Agenda on my Facebook page.

Last edited by TonyF; 10-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:31 AM
grotow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brenner,

Thanks for your input. It seems the Allure is no longer available and I would have to wait for the successor
Alchemy. Do you know if CK Aero offers a zero offset option for the contra?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:49 AM
underdw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by grotow View Post
Brenner,

Thanks for your input. It seems the Allure is no longer available and I would have to wait for the successor
The Allure nose ring has only a very slight right thrust built into it. No need for a special fuse - just shim in a touch of left thrust for your contra.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:31 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Dan,

I forgot to talk about the nose of the Allure. It is pretty much set at almost zero degrees right thrust right from the factory.

The wing is non-adjustable, but whatever downthrust the nose has, it is correct because I installed my Contra so that it matches the nose, and all of the thrust angles worked out.

As far as trim is concerned, I have my CG from 1/8" to 3/16" behind the rear edge of the wing tube, and I trimmed out the adjustable stab to remove elevator trim.

The most critical thing was aligning the stab halves. I used a digital level, and I had to take a couple of tries before I got it right.

I don't have any extra air holes in the fuse, but my ESC is located directly under the rear of the motor where the motor fan can blow air directly on it. I highly recommend this. Before I did this I couldn't finish a flight before my ESC would cutout from over temperature.

The only other recommendation I have is to mount the batteries approximately inline with the thrust line so they don't adversely affect the vertical CG.

Brenner ...
Old 10-08-2017, 07:33 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Brenner,

Hey Grotow,

If the Alchemy is a successor to the Allure, then I suspect that it will have all of the same characteristics. Drop a note to Bryan and ask him.

Brenner ...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:15 AM
willyuk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
I can attest that the BJ Craft Agenda is another excellent choice. Before it I was also flying an Inspire and I wasn't sure anything would fly better than that. But the Agenda flies everything I have done with it very well. Mine is V4 powered but I have also seen this model fly very well with a V3. No issues with prop clearance with the stock landing gear. Also, no issues with weight as the airframe is quite light.

I have a build thread on the Agenda on my Facebook page.
Hi Tony,
can you let me know how best to find your facebook page? I would like to read your build thread

thankAl
Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 AM
grotow

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brenner,
This reply I received from Bryan "
Hi Gary The Alchemy and the Allure are still available The same price.You will be able to get one by December I think. Both models are set up mostly identical the Alchemy is just the latest progression of the design setup I used on the Allure. You can run any system you want ..Contra or single props Bryan CK Aero"
Old 10-10-2017, 07:03 AM
Brenner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Brenner,
This reply I received from Bryan "
Hi Gary The Alchemy and the Allure are still available The same price.You will be able to get one by December I think. Both models are set up mostly identical the Alchemy is just the latest progression of the design setup I used on the Allure. You can run any system you want ..Contra or single props Bryan CK Aero"
Thought so ...
Old 10-12-2017, 04:53 PM
TonyF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just look on Facebook for Tony Frackowiak.

Search this Thread