Reload this Page >

Carbon E props, what’s your experience?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Carbon E props, what’s your experience?

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Reko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon E props, what’s your experience?

When I started with electrics a few years ago I experimented with carbon props on a C50 14XL, but found no real benefit over APC. I have since only used APC props. I’m now flying a 13XL on a Sebart WindS Pro and with a 21x13W APC prop. It’s a good setup but I just don’t like the fluttering sound of the APC in the snaps of F11. I’m hence considering carbon props again and bought some to test. I though I would share the results

Test setup: WindS Pro, C50 13XL, YGE 80HV, DesirePower 10s 5000, Eagle tree logger.

APC 21x13W – one P11 schedule, strong winds -> 3250 mAh
Rasa 21x13 - one P11 schedule -> 3700mAh
Mejzlik 21x13 – one P11 schedule, strong winds -> 4500mAh!!

All props consumed about the same current on the ground, 85A. In the air it was quite different. The performance with APC is great. The RASA (APC copy) performed, in terms of speed and “vertical pull”, about the same as the APC. The Mejzlik had much worse performance then the other two and is, in my opinion, not useful for F3A. Its pitch distribution and airfoil seems optimized for static thrust only (probably ok for 3D).

I’m surprised about the results. I was sceptic about the mejzlik, but I really thought the RASA would be better, considering it’s a direct clone of an APC.

Since playing around with carbon props is expensive I hope that more people can share their experiences in this thread. Are there any that can match the efficiency of the APC? Which have you found to be the best?

David
Old 08-09-2010, 07:29 PM
twoturnspin

Default RE: Carbon E props, what’s your experience?

I have an Integral that was flying with a APC 20x15 and a APC 21x14, I switched in a Rasa 21x16 folding prop. It drew roughly the same current but the performance was distinctly better in the verticals. I like the folding props, it seems to me that they maintain the line in a snap better, maybe due to the fact that they can displace slightly during the rapid autorotation?
Figures recorded (with the same battery packs, new Rhino) were:
APC 21x14 39.2V/69.7A/2735W/5865RPM
APC 20x15 39.1V/70.5A/2750W/5980RPM
Rasa 21x16 fold 38.9V/71.0V/2758W/6075RPM
Old 08-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Hans Meij

ORIGINAL: Reko
Are there any that can match the efficiency of the APC? Which have you found to be the best?
Hi David,
Have found the APC's also to be the most efficient. However this is not necessarily the best prop to your needs.
Untill now I like the folding Rasa MAG5 (20.2 * 16) the best on the C50-14XL. Not so efficient but the plane is not that 'jumpy' (speed changes) and facilitates a constant speed flying style.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Reko

So two votes for flappy paddle props Thanks for the info Hans and twoturn!

It seems that most rigid carbon props are more or less copies of APC (rasa, PT model), but that copying the unloaded shape does not mean the performance and efficiency will be the same as the APC has loaded in the air.

What about the new MPI props that have been mentioned on this forum. Are they also copies of APC? Airtech is another prop that seems APCish, but I don’t know anyone who has tested it.

David
Old 08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
2Sunny

Hey David,

I have flown the APC 20.5 x 14 and 21 x 15 and compared them to a RASA clone. I am still early in my learning so I can't speak well to performance except to say I noticed no difference between the performance of the APC and the RASA, but I can say the RASAs were quieter, 30g lighter, and way more cool looking For one who is ever weight conscious the weight reduction was worth every penny.

Joe