Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Power Set Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:10 PM
CRAPTECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Set Up Question

I guess maybe I should have put this on the classic pattern forum, but I think it’s more in line with the electric pattern group, so I need a little advice. Back in the day I built several pattern planes and right now I am putting together a Focus II (nitro) to get back in pattern. But I want an electric powered pattern plane. I do not want a 2 meter plane right now, I would like a vintage pattern ship, I would like to have something like my old Phoenix, electrified. The Phoenix in the picture was my first plane to use carbon fiber. If I remember correctly, it only weighed 7.5 lbs, 65 in wing span 730 sq. I think this falls in between the Sebart Wind 110 and the S50. I really would like to stay with one battery pack, is it feasible, because these old pattern birds had small fuselages. I know that you all are bombarded with questions on what systems work the best with what planes, but I sure would grateful for advice on the power system to use, and don’t you all think that plane would look good all sleek and smooth, without the engine and pipe? Thanks Tgreen www.craptech.net

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58084.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1485763  
Old 08-17-2010, 06:36 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Power Set Up Question

I built a new electric Phoenix-5 from Early RC models. I used an AXI 4130-16 and 6S Rhino 3700 batteries. It flew very comparable to the old Phoenix 5 from the 70's. The SPA guys didn't like it so they outlawed it. I loaded batterys from the bottom where a retract nose gear would have been,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nl29826.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1485783   Click image for larger version

Name:	wr54204.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1485784   Click image for larger version

Name:	jo29336.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1485785   Click image for larger version

Name:	vo37577.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1485786  
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 PM
CRAPTECH

Good information, how is the performance? I will mostly fly the old sportsman pattern with
the ballistic pattern guys, do you think your set up is up has enought oomp to get thought the sportsman schedule? I don’t care for the SPA format and I want retracts so it will be with the BPA, and personal pleasure. I will keep you posted, Now to find a P8 fuselages, even a broke one, Thanks again. T green
Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Performance was excellent, I flew it in the SPA senior Expert class and it handled that sequence comparable to the OS 91 4C setups most fly in SPA..