Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Prop adapters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop adapters

What are 'we' using for prop adapters for 8mm shafts? Have had some issues with the aluminum adapters I got from Scorpion. Would love to find something that will work with a tru-turn adapter.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Prop adapters

Joe, I would be interested to find out what your issue was. I had an "incident" at a contest last weekend. I am running a 4035-330 on 8s and a 16-8 APC. Tell me if if this sounds like what happened to you.

After landing my last flight on Sunday I noticed that the prop was loose. On getting home and removing the spinner and prop, I found that the aluminum back plate had welded itself to the shaft. I guess that when the prop came loose the prop and spinner started to spin on the shaft. I did seem to notice a momentary loss of power on and up line, but the friction between the spinner backplate caused them to weld themselves together. After this happened the spinner was driving the prop.

Now I had balanced everything, but apparently the screws holding the motor to the X mount had come loose. Motor shaking on the mount is probably what worked the prop nut loose. Like I said, everything was balanced pretty well, so there was not a lot of vibration, but apparently it was enough.

My solution. . . Locktite on all motor mount screws and a jam nut on the prop shaft.

O.K. I just reread your post and you are talking about the True-Turn type adapter. There are two types of 8mm threads commonly used. one has a 1mm pitch, and the other is a 1.25mm pitch. I believe True Turn sells both. Measuring mine with calipers, I get a 1mm pitch
Old 09-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Jetdesign

Having more of a problem with the threads and the adapter gripping properly to the motor shaft. I had to machine my current adapter to accept the bolt for the Tru-turn spinner. Seems Tru-turn and others make the right adapter for up to 6mm motor shafts; I have an 8mm motor shaft.

I was wondering if you guys were using steel adapters (seems logical) and if any came pre-tapped to accept a tru-turn bolt.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:14 AM
Mike Wiz
My Feedback: (2)

I bet TruTurn will make you one to fit an 8mm shaft. Just call them.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM
smcharg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 124 Likes on 83 Posts

Tru-Turn does make one for the 8mm shaft. The trick is to call them direct and tell them you need the 8mm adapter. I think it's a secret
Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Jetdesign

Can someone tell me the size (OD) of the washer that goes with the 10mm Neu adapter?

Just realized it might be too big for 19" and smaller props.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Jetdesign

Who is using the Neu aluminum prop adapter (aluminum shaft version)? Working OK?

I just got one from Neumotors. I am seriously disappointed and concerned with this design. I'm putting together something to help illustrate the issues I have with it, but I believe it is a flawed and unsafe design.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM
Jetdesign

Here is a picture. The prop adapter slides all the way down the P42 shaft until it 'bottoms out' on the C-clip at the gear box. When the collet fits over the prop shaft, it protrudes beyond the prop adapter - it too hits the c-clip. If you remove the prop adapter slightly from the gear box, the slots cut in the prop shaft extend beyond the tip of the P42 shaft. The collet on this prop adapter is very thin, so it does not support the prop shaft for the length of the slots like most others do.

So, the tip of the motor shaft is not 'buried' in solid metal, it is only surrounded by 4 tongues of 1mm aluminum. I don't see what would keep the aluminum from bending or stretching at the end of the motor shaft with any side load. This thing is supposed to be able to swing 21-22" propellers. I don't trust it. The slots should be at most half the length of what they are now, such that they are fully surrounded and supported by the clamped-on collet.

This is disappointing, mostly because it's coming from the maker of (in my opinion) the best motors there are.

The $6 Great Planes adapters aren't bad! They have a 3/8" shaft though (slightly less than 10mm but fairly robust), and require drilling and tapping for the spinner. They seem to be the best thing out there (barring the pricey Tru Turn adapter which I have not seen in person yet).
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMSG7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	prop adapter 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1964257  
Old 02-01-2014, 05:28 AM
MachLoop
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by smcharg
Tru-Turn does make one for the 8mm shaft. The trick is to call them direct and tell them you need the 8mm adapter. I think it's a secret
Perhaps this is what you are looking for? A secret with a part number! See picture. This is for the Plettenberg Advance and equivalent.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TTE-0058A.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	1964283