RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Sickle (V-2) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10015876-sickle-v-2-a.html)

rcpattern 04-14-2011 10:24 AM

RE: Sickle (V-2)

Doug,

One theory I have heard is that it is kind of built in expo and will soften these large rudders around neutral.

Arch

can773 04-14-2011 10:32 AM

My experience with fat TE is that they can significantly reduce the neutral sensitivity. Other than that I have not noticed any major difference between a thin vs. thick TE.

cmoulder 04-14-2011 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Technical issues notwithstanding, it was great to be able to get out today and enjoy some warm sunshine and light winds.

The day started out with blustery winds developing early. However, as the day went on things just got better and better and by the end it was just downright sublime.

Got in a few flights and a fellow flier (Bruce G, Thanks!) was able to get some great airborne shots of the Sickle with my 300mm lens.

This model is just a joy to fly. The SD-10G will be here any day now and I will begin in earnest the very minor trimming and mixing that might be needed. It is pretty darn good with zero mixes.

jlkonn 04-15-2011 02:08 AM

Wow!
Nice pictures!
Those look like studio shots!
JLK

cmoulder 04-15-2011 03:39 AM

Thanks! I'll pass it along to Bruce!

Hard to beat a good digital camera and long lens, combined with late afternoon light.[sm=thumbup.gif]

cmoulder 04-16-2011 12:39 PM

JLK,

When do you expect to maiden?

It will be interesting to hear how you think V-1 and V-2 compare.

Anthony-RCU 04-17-2011 05:11 AM

Great shots! Bruce is multi-talented!
Got a chance to fly with Bob in some pretty good cross winds last weekend. Really, nice airplane. The construction is very good especially like the integration of the lg mount into the fuse.
Bob did a great job with the equipment selection and install.

Mastertech 04-18-2011 07:43 AM

Well this past weekend I managed to get 4 rounds of contest flying on the Sickle.

Observations from those flights is this airplane is a winner. As I suspected the airplane did nothing stupid.

Me? not so much.

After landing I could see the airplane looking up at me saying "I did my job but you didn't do yours".

True enough, all the mistakes that were made were the pilots inputs.

I plan on making a few slight changes, move the cg back a bit (centered on the wing tube without the wings on now) and slow the ailerons down some.

I had to break myself from pulling the nose up on the rollers as it's NOT needed on this airplane.

The power of the Electrics is impressive to say the least, It isn't fast but it's tractoring right along, you just need to 'Wait for it".

I've had to learn to do spins again, This airplane doesn't like to stop using just rudder/elev like my Proline. Added in a bit of aileron and when you tell it to stop it does.

My IC days are now over. I have been assimilated. OH NO!!! does that make me a Borg?

So much for the collective. :D

Tim

mups53 04-18-2011 07:52 AM

Timan important key to competing is to havethe plane, radio and power neccesary to compete without any comprimise. Once you have that then the difference is you. That's where you need to be and sounds like you've done it well. The beauty of an E. setup is how reliable and consistent it is. You shouldsoon seehow that helps to improve your skills.
I appluad your choices and hope you see the benefit's. Mike

Mastertech 04-18-2011 07:58 AM

One other thing I learned this weekend, NEVER leave the canopy off when there is even ONE cloud in the sky.

I was calling for Jeff on the first flight of the day and it started raining, I wasn't about to leave Jeff hanging so as soon as he landed and I got his airplane back to the pits I looked at mine. It was soaked inside. I unhooked the recv batteries and took it apart and stuck it in the van with the heat on high for a couple of hours and all was well.

I got lucky. I will not temp fate again. I'm going to an outside arming setup.

Tim

cmoulder 04-24-2011 03:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Tim,

I think the outside arming switch is a good idea, both from the speed and safety standpoint. Right after a flight, before picking up or moving the model the plane is absolutely safe. No chance of bumping the throttle stick or accidentally hitting a switch.

I think I might've heard that they are required at some flying sites, but I can't confirm this. Either way, a good idea.

The way I did it was to use the MPI Anderson power pole-based (APP) arming plug, but instead of using the harness plugs that connect the flight battery and the ESC, I simply soldered the APP plug in-line with the ESC output wires. Saved considerable weight. Also made a little "fairing" for the outside plug with some balsa and covered with Oracover.

Also got the Airtronics SD-10G system installed and was very pleased with the ease of set-up. The claims about the very intuitive and logical programming method are absolutely true. Only one little wrinkle was how to program a bit of down elevator at zero throttle, and Anthony R got that straightened out for me in two minutes on the phone.

2Sunny 06-18-2011 02:29 PM

Had a chance to fly with Bob today, and all I can say is "WOW [X(] "

This plane flies unbelievably well (of course it doesn't hurt to have a competent pilot . . . did I mention I think you should fly in Advanced Bob :) ) , but seriously folks . . . the plane looks great, flies great presents well, and even with the heaviest options having been installed comes with an ultra lean weight under 4800g. Bob's using a Himax 210 with the Falcon 20.5x14.5 on an old Castle 85HV and this baby just purrrrrrrrrs. He was throwing up incredible power using the Zippy 20Cs so now of course I'm gonna have to go out and get some to test . . . as well as the new Nano's that he mentioned he thinks are even better. Anyways, it was great fun to fly with Bob today and can't wait until next weekends contest in PA!!

Thanks Bob for a fun day of flying!

Joe

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/Sickle1.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/Sickle2.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/Sickle3.jpg
http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ds/Sickle4.jpg

cmoulder 06-18-2011 05:26 PM

Great seeing you again today, Joe! Funny how it took so long for our paths to cross again.

Should be a lot of fun in the Poconos. Joe Lachowski put on a fantastic event last year and this year should be the same. Just hope we get excellent weather like we did last year.

I was thinking of driving over Saturday morning, however if I can make it Friday I would love to get in a day of practice and hang with pattern guys. Sounds better than work, eh?:D Will have to see how the work week develops.

Right now I have about 150 flights on the Sickle and just liking it more and more. Still trying to sell some gasser stuff to make room for another one - this model is that good. Not to be too negative, but I'd be sick if something happened to this one, and I'd replace it instantly with the same plane if that were the case. Maybe the best value in pattern today.

felkinsr 09-06-2011 06:33 PM

Would those who have used a Spektrum receiver in your Sickle please tell me what model and how may satellites you used?

Thanks,

-Richard.

burtona 09-06-2011 06:54 PM

Sprktrum AR9000 with 2 satellites and never any problems. Since they made provision for 2 satellites I don't know why you would ever use any less in an expensive plane (or a cheap plane for that mater). The receiver was mounted on a tray in front of the rudder servo. One 24" satellite as far back as possible with velcro on the fuselage side, other one mounted on the bottom between the RX and motor batteries
Dave Burton

felkinsr 09-06-2011 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: burtona

Sprktrum AR9000 with 2 satellites and never any problems. Since they made provision for 2 satellites I don't know why you would ever use any less in an expensive plane (or a cheap plane for that mater). The receiver wea mounted on a tray in front of the rudder servo. One 24'' satellite as far back as possible with velcro on the fuselage side, other one mounted on the bottom between the RX and motor batteries
Dave Burton

Thanks Dave

J Lachowski 09-07-2011 03:43 AM

F3AUnlimited has the Sickle on sale for $1349.00.

felkinsr 09-07-2011 05:26 AM

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski

F3AUnlimited has the Sickle on sale for $1349.00.
The big box is already in route!

:D

-Richard

mups53 09-07-2011 05:48 AM

Richard you won't regret it. It is the best value out there right now that's available. Mike

felkinsr 09-07-2011 06:12 AM

ORIGINAL: mups53

Richard you won't regret it. It is the best value out there right now that's available. Mike

I was looking at a local pattern plane that was available recently but the timing wasn't right.

A small windfall and Chris' incentives made this happen before Christmas this year.

All I can say is, "I'm excited about getting the Sickle", it has been a year in the making.

-Richard.

Mastertech 09-07-2011 06:26 AM

Let me know if you need the firewall template, I can snail mail you one.

Tim

felkinsr 09-07-2011 06:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Let me know if you need the firewall template, I can snail mail you one.

Tim
Thanks Tim, I think I have everything that I need except for the receiver and it is on the way too.

-Richard.

felkinsr 09-10-2011 01:40 PM

The BIG box arrived a few hours ago and I can tell you Fed-EX does not know how to read the word "Fra-gee-lay". The cardboard outer box must have been used as the center piece in a kick boxing contest. The inner wood crate was split and half open, but miraculously the contents are so well packed everything seems to have come through unscathed. A quick look at all the parts shows better quality than I can produce and I am very happy with what I have received. It will take me a few weeks to get the plane ready to fly and then I will report what I think about how it all went.

-Richard.

mups53 09-12-2011 05:47 AM

Shipping pattern planes is so risky. My Sickle box (shipped from England 2 years ago)looked like a train hit it and it too came thru perfect. Good luck with the plane. Mike

felkinsr 09-12-2011 06:05 AM

Thanks Mike. I have the landing gear mounted, I am so impressed they include gear with an "aero" shape, nice touch. I'm getting the motor mount setup now and the progress is good with the large open hatch area. The people that went to Haikong 8 years ago and showed them the correct way to build light, strong and also lay down some great covering film really shows.

-Richard.