RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   110-120 E-power setup recommendations? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10241444-110-120-e-power-setup-recommendations.html)

MarkGrabowski 01-05-2011 10:56 AM

110-120 E-power setup recommendations?

All right, I'm seriously considering a move to electric on my next plane. I'm going to be building, what's essentially an Addiction but shrunk down a bit from 2 meters. Wingspan 69", length 70" fuse width 5.75", fuse height: 9.5" at dashboard and 11.5" at top of canopy. As you can see, this plane is a bit thicker and taller than some of the other 110 planes out there like the Focus Sport, Wind 110 (which are a bit more slender). I will do my best to build light but am unsure what final weight will be... assume 9.5 to 10 pounds. For batteries, I'm probably going with 8S to save weight, unless someone makes a compelling arguement to go 10S. I live in Chicago, the Windy City, so power has gotta be there... flying sportsman-type class stuff, so extreme vertical isn't THAT critical, but I certainly don't want to struggle with inadequate power... will trade a bit of that for longer flight times, if such a trade-off is possible.

I really want to get this right the first time and buy the stuff only once! Budget is not unlimited but once again, I want to do it right and have a setup that can carry over to future planes and a move upward in flying classification. Share you thoughts on motor, esc, prop, battery, whatever info you feel would be useful!

Thanks!

p.s. To reach a broader audience, I'm probably gonna cross post to nsrca.us site, so don't gripe :-)

burtona 01-05-2011 11:28 AM

RE: 110-120 E-power setup recommendations?

I'm using an E-Flite Power 110 on a Focus Sport amd a Voodoo Express. Both are about the same size and weight you describe and the motor is a really good option for them. I'm using 8S packs on them and the performance is outstanding.

J Lachowski 01-05-2011 11:56 AM

I had a Wind 110 for a short while to play with. The recommended Hacker works just fine. I was able to fly the Masters sequence no problem. Setup was the recommended Hacker A50 16L, Castle Creations 75 ICE controller on 8S 20C 5000ma Zippys. Weight 9.25 Pounds. APC 18X10 or 18X12 will work. In your case, the 18X10 will be perfect. Some guys are using Scorpion motors with mixed results.

Velco 01-06-2011 01:59 AM

This looks like a copy of E-flite 110 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14408 can be a cheap alternative.

Velco

Mike Wiz 01-06-2011 04:47 AM

What Joe said... The Stock Wind 110 power setup is great. If you want to use an inrunner instead get the Hacker C50-10XL 6.7:1. It will fly with the same 18x10 to 18x12 prop on an 8S battery. The only thing I'd change is the ESC recomendation. I like Jeti controllers better than Castle Creations. I use a lot of CC controllers on my smaller planes and they aren't bad. I just like the smoothness of operation in the Jeti better.

Mike Wiz 01-06-2011 04:50 AM

Proven alternatives to the E-flite Power motors are the Monster Power motors that Hobby Partz sell. You can simply but the one with the similar name and get b asically the exact same specs in a lighter package of about 1/3 of the cost. I have the Monster Power 60 myself. Check them out!

MarkGrabowski 01-06-2011 08:30 AM

Anyone use an Axi motor in this size range?

Mike Wiz 01-06-2011 10:02 AM

I haven't used an AXI this large. I've used several from 5S size on down in the AXI line. They are a good quality motor. I think they have become too expensive for what you get compared to the competition. Hacker, Scorpion and Hyperion are all about the same quality for less money. Of course, that's just my opinion. My Opinion is also that Pletti's are way too expensive for what they are. Of course, I've only owned one of those. It was in a .40 size pattern plane called the E-Sport 10.

MarkGrabowski 01-15-2011 07:25 AM

Mike, what esc are yyou using with this motor?

MarkGrabowski 01-15-2011 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: burtona

I'm using an E-Flite Power 110 on a Focus Sport amd a Voodoo Express. Both are about the same size and weight you describe and the motor is a really good option for them. I'm using 8S packs on them and the performance is outstanding.
Dave, what esc?

Mike Wiz 01-15-2011 08:09 AM

Right now I have a super expensive Jeti Spin 99. It's a wonderful controller and I can't speak highly enough of it. But really, if you want to save a few bucks the Castle Creations ICE 80 HV is a very good choice. I think my Spin 99 is smoother has better breaking and runs cooler but the Ice 80 isn't as bad choice.

ORIGINAL: MarkGrabowski

Dave, what esc?

burtona 01-15-2011 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: MarkGrabowski

Dave, what esc?
Focus Sport has a Castle HV85, Voodoo has Castle 100 Ice.
Both work well, but I had them on hand so I didn't have to buy something specific for either plane. I have a Wind S 110 with recommended Hacker motor and use a Castle 100 Ice on it. All three planes are approxamately the same weight and size and all three ESCs work well with the motors.