RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   BJCraft Episode (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10811118-bjcraft-episode.html)

woodie 10-01-2012 02:08 PM

RE: BJCraft Episode

That's good news Chris.

Any information on the alternative color schemes that have been discussed. Will there be other 'standard' paint schemes or are they special order only?

thanks
Woodie

shannah 10-06-2012 07:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent yesterday evening and all day today hacking away at the project. If I really pushed it I could probably get it in the air tomorrow but I don't want to rush it. It is going together very easily.

The toughest part of the project, by far, was the installation of the rear tail mount support for the motor. The mounting brackets need to be shaped to fit the contour of the nose and it isn't a simple shape. I tried to use the template that B.J. posted for the Neu motor tail ring mount but it wasn't adequate. So, I had to go back to the drawing board. I decided to use my method of taking some heavy solder and pressing it to fit the contour of the fuse where the mount needs to be. This gave me an outline which I then transferred to cardboard and used it to make a lite ply template that I then used for a FR4 mount.

I finished the wings, stabs, and rudder servo and pushrod installations without any drama. I used Central Hobbies titanium rod ends for the stabs since this allows you to individually adjust the pushrod lengths. The rudder and ailerons were done with CF pushrod CA glued to the linkages. I used ball bearing cleavis on the ailerons and ball links on the rudder. I used the supplied jig for the elevator to help line up the center position during assembly of the pushrods. It is nice to have this jig because there is no way to easily find the center of the elevator position without it.

I also finished the messy job of cutting the air vent holes in the nose, chin and belly. I used the templates provided in the kit. This time it was a lot faster than when I did the Nuance because I just trusted the template and hacked things out.

Tomorrow I'll set the CG and aeropoxy in my battery tray and motor tail ring mount. I'm shooting to maiden it this next week. I think it warrants playing hookie from work for one afternoon, perhaps Tuesday or Thursday....

shannah 10-06-2012 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
forgot to include a picture of the tail ring mounts. They are just CA'd in place. I'll lay in the aeropoxy fillet when I mount my battery tray tomorrow. No sense is wasting an applicator until I have multiple things to glue. I should add that I added a 1/8" lite ply back to the FR4 mounts. This thickened it up for better glue joint and also allows me to use a blind nut for the mount screw. There is no way to get a regular nut installed on the left mount (just no room) so a blind nut is the only way you can do it.

desertrider49 10-06-2012 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: shannah

I'm shooting to maiden it this next week. I think it warrants playing hookie from work for one afternoon, perhaps Tuesday or Thursday....
If you let me know what day you will maiden, I'll be glad to take pictures for you.

Randy

shannah 10-06-2012 08:16 PM

Sure thing Randy. I'll let you know. Probably Thursday pm. I will probably go fly the Nuance tomorrow afternoon. I haven't flown in weeks....

AmericanSpectre505 10-07-2012 06:45 AM

I plan on stopping by Green Sea on my way home friday 19th on myway home from Ft.stewart, GA. I hope to get a chance to see some of the planes I have on my list. That will help me make up my mind, as to what two planes I want to switch to.

bholsten
D-2

shannah 10-07-2012 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry B.J., but I decided to go with the MK tailwheel assembly instead of the one in the kit. This is the only drawback I had to the Nuance, the tailwheel just wasn't very effective. So, you can't go wrong with the MK unit. Too bad they stopped making them.

The main gear fit better than the Nuance and took less effort to mount. The wheels are a bit different and look to be better than the Nuance wheels.

shannah 10-07-2012 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same great fit on the stabs as with the Nuance. No gap between the stabs and the fuse. Attachment is identical as the Nuance with two carbon fiber rods. Two screws are used to keep the stabs from pulling away from the fuse

The Channelizer is attached with two 3mm bolts. I used some aftermarket head washers instead of the stock flat washers. I use these for the landing gear as well. I will swap these out for some slightly larger diameter ones that Secraft makes (F3AUnlimited). The Channelizer fits well on the canopy. However, it is a bit difficult to get the bolts to thread into the canopy blind nuts so I don't think I will be removing the Channelizer on a regular basis. If I wanted to do that, I would probably enlarge the holes slightly, but care would be needed in making sure that not too much play was introduced. The Channelizer is held in the front by a Delrin pin.

shannah 10-07-2012 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm going to use the OS OCA-1100HV ESC. Looks like a nice unit and I am anxious to try it out. If anyone has recommended settings for the Pletty Advance then let me know, it will save me some time in searching through the threads.

I got the programmer as well, it's a neat little unit and fairly inexpensive.

Henning 10-07-2012 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: shannah

I'm going to use the OS OCA-1100HV ESC. Looks like a nice unit and I am anxious to try it out. If anyone has recommended settings for the Pletty Advance then let me know, it will save me some time in searching through the threads.

I got the programmer as well, it's a neat little unit and fairly inexpensive.

I am using these settings for the Futaba/OS and Pletty Advance.

Battery Type: LiPo
Cutoff voltage: Auto
Battery cutoff type: Soft
Advanced Timing: 24º
Accelerations: Normal
Start Power: Lowest
Air Brake: On, 65%
Motor Pole No: 20
Gear Ratio: 1.0:1

My favorite propeller is PT-model 20x13 three blades. APC and PT-model 21x12WE are also very good. If the model is draggy you might try 21x13.

Regards,
Henning

rcflyer4fun 10-07-2012 04:01 PM

Your speed controller looks fairly light weight. What does it weigh in at??

nonstoprc 10-07-2012 04:45 PM

Can one set fixed end points on OS OCA-1100HV ESC? It is not clear from its brief introduction given in TowerHobbies' site.

shannah 10-07-2012 05:10 PM

Lots of info on the ESC in the thread titled "Futaba MC 9100A ESC". This is the same as the Futaba ESC. Not sure why Futaba isn't selling it here rather than OS, but that's a marketing channel decision of some sort. The ESC is the same. Yes, it can have fixed end points.

Silent-AV8R 10-07-2012 05:18 PM

Hobbico decided since the Futaba and OS labeled ESCs were identical there was no reason to carry both. They differ only by the label on them.

pippy 10-08-2012 01:02 AM

Hi shannah, could you possibly post pictures of the bottom of the model please. I can't find any anywhere.

svrcp 10-08-2012 03:55 PM

We had F3a unlimited Episode out this past weekend at the Winston Salem contest. Chris Moon had let us fly the weekend before at FARM culb. I put it together on Friday and raise some eyebrow's with it everyonre came over to look at it. Larry K. and myslef to turn flying it along with Rick Sweeny he was first to say can I fly it. Rick really took to it and liking how well it flew.:) I flew it in one round of the contest on saturday.This plane track great on 45 line and on vertical it great. Roll are easy, I'm NOT that greats at 4 piont but it make look very easy in fact they look great without any rudder input, unless you hold it too long. It take little rudder input. Snap are clean it also slow down very nicely without any brake set up. The plane came in at 8lbs without the 10s battrey, it power by a Pletty Advance. As with the other BJ plane's the workman ship is very nice.
THANK YOU Chris for allowing us the use of the plane. As Chris stated in pior post the plane will hopefully be at the Green sea contest in S.C.on Oct 20th.

Jr Varela
D2

AmericanSpectre505 10-08-2012 04:56 PM

I will stop by Green Sea on Friday I hope. Maybe I can can take it around the pattern for a spin. You guys are having way to much fun! Not!

Bill Holsten

Chris Moon 10-08-2012 07:00 PM

Latest word from the factory:
The standard color scheme ARFs will be arriving approximately Nov 15. Right now there are no alternate schemes offered but they might offer one in the future.
The ARC versions (built but no painting or covering) are selling for $1400 and will be arriving approximately Dec 1.

rm 10-09-2012 03:09 AM

Are the Prolog and Nuance available as ARC's?

Any of those coming or do they have to be custom ordered?

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2012 03:19 AM

I would like the ARC. When will we be able to place ordered for those Chris.

Thanks,

Bill Holsten

Chris Moon 10-09-2012 04:03 AM

You can special order a Nuance or Prolog as an ARC or kit too but need to check on pricing as they are not normal stock items for us. Most likely would arrive with the Dec shipment.

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2012 04:32 AM

Chris,

I can order a ARC Episode right now is what your saying?

Thx,

Bill

Portlandflyer 10-09-2012 10:10 AM

Chris,

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">Do you have any thoughts on what will be involved in a "kit" build? I would assume no wing/stab sheeting?</span></div>

nonstoprc 10-09-2012 04:42 PM

chris,

Do you know if they offer ARC with fuse internal setup done and painted?

Thx

shannah 10-09-2012 07:16 PM

Seems like there is some interest in an alternate scheme for sure. I must say, however, that it looks much better in real life than in the pics. I really do like the fuse scheme.

I have been swamped at work and I won't be getting it in the air this week. Next week is the D7 district championship and I should practice with my primary Nuance before the event so I probably won't be able to bring the Episode to the contest. Sorry about that guys. I'll try and get it finished up over the next week and if a miracle occurs I'll bring it to Arvin.