RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Nuance (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10814137-nuance.html)

rcpattern 10-25-2012 04:22 AM

RE: Nuance

I wont say it can't be done, but it could be very tough. The top of the fuse extends back quite a ways on the Nuance, so getting a motor that must be rear mounted could be difficult. If you go to post #8 in this thread you can see a nice top down view. The motor shown is an inrunner and is much longer. I wont say it can't happen, but it could be difficult. There are a lot of people out there smarter than I am though, and I'm sure they can have some ideas. Fortunately, the fuse is fair deep, and you may be able to build a firewall and then install the motor from underneath the firewall.

Arch

AmericanSpectre505 10-25-2012 04:52 AM

Good observation Archie,..

Bill

bdawg50 10-25-2012 04:52 AM

Good observations Archie. Looking at the pic I can see some potential problems. It also gives me an idea. If there's enough width, one might posibbly be able to make a firewall that comes in from the back and attach to some side plates that are fixed to the fuse sides and bottom.

underdw 10-25-2012 04:53 AM

Several of us have installed rear mount Pletty outrunners. I'm not familiar with the A60, but if it will fit in through the nose ring, it should work.
If memory serves, the spinner is 82mm, so your motor OD should be several mm smaller than this in order to fit through.
Arch's approach might work too.
Figuring out the firewall shape is a pain, but is quite do-able.
Dan

mups53 10-25-2012 05:12 AM

I've rear mounted 3 Nuance/ Prolog planes now. We have the firewall template and it's a snap. we've been using the Himax 210 in the planes which is very similar. If anyone wants the template I can email it to you.
FWIWthe nose on the Prolog/ Nuance and the Episode are all pretty much the same.
Mike Mueller

mups53 10-25-2012 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: underdw

Several of us have installed rear mount Pletty outrunners. I'm not familiar with the A60, but if it will fit in through the nose ring, it should work.
If memory serves, the spinner is 82mm, so your motor OD should be several mm smaller than this in order to fit through.
Arch's approach might work too.
Figuring out the firewall shape is a pain, but is quite do-able.
Dan
The spinner size is in fact 70mm or 2.75 inches. It's a snug front end. Mike

patternflyer1 10-25-2012 06:36 AM

I don't think the a60 is any bigger than the pletty so it should fit fine. There is no nose ring installed so mounting a firewall is fairly straight forward. And the plane is light so it should be fine.

Chris

AmericanSpectre505 10-25-2012 06:59 AM

I have both and I believe the A60 is a smidgen smaller.

Bill

MTK 10-25-2012 08:01 AM

ORIGINAL: TonyF

I don't think it matters much but I mounted mine perpendicular to each stab half.
If the amount of vertical area is small, I tend to agree, it wouldn't matter much. But if it's rather large, say greater than 10 sq inches or so, angled surfaces induce dihedral/anhedral effect thatcould affect roll stability in yaw.

On the other hand, if yours has some roll couple, it is one effective way of countering the couple, rather than doing it electronically

Portlandflyer 10-25-2012 09:46 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I also have a Nuance with a Himax 210 and know of at least six other Nuance/Prolog&rsquo;s that have outrunners. I looked at my install this morning and I could have set the firewall back at least another 1/8 of an inch. Also, I used &frac14; inch Dragon plate for the firewall which was overkill; 3/16 would have been plenty. So, with a 3/16 inch firewall, I could have come back at least another 3/16. To get the Himax in from the front you have to grind down the nose ring a bunch, but it&rsquo;s still plenty stiff.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">There actually is a way to put an outrunner into almost any plane without going in from the front. What you do is build a regular outrunner firewall and cut a hole in the center that allows the motor to slip in from the back. You then build a second &ldquo;smaller&rdquo; firewall that the motor mounts to. This firewall is bolted to the main firewall from behind with blind nuts. The way you install it, is to mount the motor and firewalls together and slip it into the fuselage from inside. Put on a spacer and the spinner backplate, then tape the whole concoction to the nose. You then epoxy the main firewall in from the back; remove the motor and epoxy from the front.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">With this method you can put in pretty much any length and diameter motor.</div>

mups53 10-25-2012 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Portlandflyer

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">I also have a Nuance with a Himax 210 and know of at least six other Nuance/Prolog&rsquo;s that have outrunners. I looked at my install this morning and I could have set the firewall back at least another 1/8 of an inch. Also, I used &frac14; inch Dragon plate for the firewall which was overkill; 3/16 would have been plenty. So, with a 3/16 inch firewall, I could have come back at least another 3/16. To get the Himax in from the front you have to grind down the nose ring a bunch, but it&rsquo;s still plenty stiff.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">There actually is a way to put an outrunner into almost any plane without going in from the front. What you do is build a regular outrunner firewall and cut a hole in the center that allows the motor to slip in from the back. You then build a second &ldquo;smaller&rdquo; firewall that the motor mounts to. This firewall is bolted to the main firewall from behind with blind nuts. The way you install it, is to mount the motor and firewalls together and slip it into the fuselage from inside. Put on a spacer and the spinner backplate, then tape the whole concoction to the nose. You then epoxy the main firewall in from the back; remove the motor and epoxy from the front.</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">With this method you can put in pretty much any length and diameter motor.</div>
Good idea. I've seen Dave Snow use a home madeX Mount and do it that way. Mike

Dsnow 10-25-2012 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the mount, the carbon plate can be cut into an X shape to reduce weight. The firewall glued to the fuse is 1/4" lite ply.

Dave Snow

Portlandflyer 10-25-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dave and Mike,
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: 9pt; font-family: Arial; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial; ">Yep, that's it. With the Himax 210, you could probably use the aluminum X bracket that comes with the motor.</span></p>

mups53 10-25-2012 11:59 AM

You could use the X mount but it's tight. Also it's pretty heavy.
I cut the nose out and do it thru the front. Mostly because I'm comfortable with the tecnique. Mike

Dsnow 10-25-2012 12:01 PM

I'm not sure the legs of the X stick out past the motor can far enough but it would make a good template to start with if the legs are too short.

Dave Snow

Portlandflyer 10-25-2012 12:04 PM

Mike,<p class="MsoNormal"><o:p></o:p>I agree. You wouldn&rsquo;t need to use it with the Nuance or Prolog. Just grind out the nose and come in from the front like normal. I just thought it could work in other installations.</p>

mups53 10-25-2012 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will caution you that the hole is pretty big and it leaves very little meat on the nose. I think of it as more area for cooling to get into the motor. Mike

danamania 10-25-2012 02:31 PM

I have a Himax 210 in my Vanquish, it is a terrific motor for the money.  OTOH, that's a lot of material to hack off the nose of a Nuance; once it is gone, does that limit upgrading the motor down the line?  Just a thought.  Cheers!

mups53 10-26-2012 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No Dana it doesn't really effect anything negativly. There's still a lot of strength in there. If you did something like a Pletty Advance it would require a ring to be fabricated that would still have enough lip to accomodate the install.
The main reason it looks like there's little left is the smal diameter of the nose 70mm. Also with a full covering spinner it never shows
Here's a pic of a Prolog I built for my buddy Mark Doucey. It has the new Tru Turn 2.75 inch Turbo Cool anodysed spinner that we carry.
Mike Mueller

mups53 10-26-2012 05:04 AM

Also while I'm at it I should mention that we are now doing some limited building services. We can take any of the ARF's we carry and actually do most of the building so the planes are turnkey when delivered. You have to be somewhatpatient but for the people who lack the skills or have the resources and no time we have acouple ofbuilders who can help you.
I think I have the shipping part figured out. What we do is leave the rudder hinges undone and that we we can repack into the original crates. If interested we can talk about it.

AmericanSpectre505 10-26-2012 07:42 AM

mups53,

Please send me a building schedule of pricing and services offered. PM me please or I can give you my email.

I fall in the catagory of "can build and paint very well, no time to do so, no longer have the facilities to do so".

Thanks,

Bill Holsten
Dist-2

SanJoseDale 11-04-2012 05:10 PM

Just ordered the pink Nuance, couldn't resist the free shipping.<div>
</div><div>Does anyone have a template for the Pletty Advance?</div><div>
</div><div>
</div><div>Dale</div>

shannah 11-04-2012 07:42 PM

Hey Dale,
Good Choice!
Check out my post on the Episode thread for the Pletty Advance. I think it's post #122. It's pretty simple, just a disk with a slightly elongated base.

Steve

Portlandflyer 11-04-2012 07:56 PM

Send me your email. Ihave one.

mups53 11-10-2012 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted this on the Prolog thread but wanted to share it here because they are so closely related...

Guys after thinking about this for a bit I thought the Prolog could use a minor facelift. We tested the new canopy on our Prolog Version 2 today. The new canopy that we got this week from the factory looks and works great. The only difference Brandon and I could tell is the plane rolls even better now. It rolls like the Nuance but has the soild stable feel that I've grown to love on the Prolog.
It'll be a while but we plan on bringing the Prolog V2 to market with a modified paint scheme in the not too distant future.
We are looking into making the canopy's available as a refofit for those who would like to do this upgrade.
Thanks, Mike Mueller