RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   What is a good ESC for f3a (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11160849-what-good-esc-f3a.html)

yepe 07-19-2012 03:06 AM

What is a good ESC for f3a

Guys,
What is a good ESC for Pletty Advance. I have bad experiences with CC 80 HV2, burned my 2nd ESC today. Good thing Castle Creations has very good customer service they replace my ESC's in 6 weeks.

Jason Arnold 07-19-2012 04:18 AM

RE: What is a good ESC for f3a

The old faithful Jeti Spin 99 is a good choice.

Jeti is actually releasing a new range of ESC's shortly. Probably worth waiting for them to come to market as there is a significant weight advantage over the Spin 99.

Regards,
Jason.

Rune 07-19-2012 04:26 AM

try Futaba or Jeti , that Castle has a good service dont help  a thing if they burn... there are others also but not all esc seems to go to all enignes .
I know there are lots off pilots using castles in the Usa but I was not wery happy with mine ,had 3 off them, one HV 85 (burn) two Ice 80HV one burn the last one I sold cheap, had issues with braking as stated in another tread when I asked Castle about this I just got a message that I had to adjust my brake down to a point where I got the terrible noise away..... but that didnt gave me enough braking.
I think the engineers at castle should do a rework at the software in the esc so it can hadle what it is suppose to do and that is to work well at all settings that can be programmed without any problems.
I have to say I have not tried it on a geared engine so it may work great with those, i dont know!!
Sorry Castle!

serious power 07-19-2012 05:08 AM

Hi
YGE HV90
Very light, works very well with inrunner, outrunner and the contra (innrunner).
Handles 100+Amps no problem.
Runs really cool.
Efficient.
Have not heard of a single issue.

Brian

cchariandy 07-19-2012 12:15 PM

Any comments on the performace of the YGE 90 brake feature?

Colin

Henning 07-19-2012 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: yepe

Guys,
What is a good ESC for Pletty Advance. I have bad experiences with CC 80 HV2, burned my 2nd ESC today. Good thing Castle Creations has very good customer service they replace my ESC's in 6 weeks.
The Futaba MC 9100A works perfect with the Pletty Advance. Set the star up power to «Slowest» and you will have super smooth startup and transition from break to power.

Henning

yepe 07-19-2012 04:51 PM

any feedbacks from Futaba MC 9100A regarding construction is it rock solid reliability? like the jeti's. Thanks

Jason Arnold 07-19-2012 04:58 PM

any feedbacks from Futaba MC 9100A regarding construction is it rock solid reliability? like the jeti's. Thanks
It's probably too soon to know that for sure. Futaba gear is generally pretty good though.

If you want a proven product then go with the Jeti Spin99. If you can wait, get a Jeti Mezon 95 or 115 opto when they come out. They are both 75 grams in weight.

Cheers,
Jason.

Silent-AV8R 07-19-2012 05:19 PM

The O.S. ESCs are identical to the Futaba controllers. Here in the USA Tower has the O.S.

http://www.osengines.com/escs/index.html

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBYTY&P=SM

Jim Oddino is using the OS controller and likes it so ar.

Henning 07-19-2012 10:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Jason Arnold

It's probably too soon to know that for sure. Futaba gear is generally pretty good though.

If you want a proven product then go with the Jeti Spin99. If you can wait, get a Jeti Mezon 95 or 115 opto when they come out. They are both 75 grams in weight.

Cheers,
Jason.
I have been using the Futaba ESC with the Advance motor for 250+ flights now and have no issues. It runs cooler than my Schulze 32.80 KA and Kontronik Jive 80HV. I will not recommend the Jive for the Advance. They do not play any good together.

I know people flying with Jeti Spin 99 and Advance at it works too. I chose the Futaba over Jeti due to the Spin 99 is “old technology” and the Futaba is almost half the price.

The Jeti Mezon is still in testing.

Henning

DaveL322 07-20-2012 05:08 AM

ORIGINAL: cchariandy

Any comments on the performace of the YGE 90 brake feature?

Colin
I've been told by others that have run the YGE and the Castle that the YGE brake is more limited in strength available.

Regards,